The Baseball Team

shoeless

Retired staff
Premium
Ok all us Canes baseball fans are upset after losing the final 2 games at FSU this weekend. The season is over. We suck. Okay now that thats out of the way. I was at all 3 games this weekend and here is the good and bad.

Good:
-these freshmen are gonna be studs. STUDS. I was at batting practice on thursday as well and Zunica was killing the ball. Coach Arteaga told me he is a beast but he just isnt quite ready. Well on sunday he had 2 hits and one was off the wall opposite field. Abreu seems to be finally hitting and Collins had crazy power and is starting to see the ball better. These 3 guys are going to be very very good. I would say by the end of the season this team will be much better offensively.
-Diaz was nasty. He gave up 1 unearned run on a routine groundout that Thompson sailed over Fiegers head at first. It was routine and Thompson got moved to 1B after that inning. After that he wasn't touched.
-Carey is showing just how good he can be. Defensively and offensively.

Bad:
-defense. Holy cow. I was with a buddy who had never been to a college baseball game and while watching the Canes he was shocked that we could not make a routine play. He left saying that that is why he does not like college baseball. Besides Carey, Lopez, and sometimes Hernandez we really suck defensively.
-Radzewski. What in the world? It wasn't that he got shelled. We were losing 5-2 and FSU had 3 hits! He just walked guys like crazy. He started the game walking the first 3 batters. I've never seen BRad do that.
-The bullpen outside of Garcia. On friday Garcia came in a shut the door. Other than that we struggled. Even when our guys didnt give up runs in an inning they were still walking way too many batters.

With Lopez being back, the freshmen starting to hit, and knowing for a fact that Radzewski is not going to pitch like that again, this team is going to be fine. I think Zunica needs to switch off with Fieger (if we must play Fieger) and just let Thompson play (and struggle) at 3rd. When Fieger is at 3rd its just as bad so I'd rather just have Thompsons bat.

Lineup I would like to see:
Carey CF
Palmer LF
Abreu RF
Thompson 3B
Collins 1B
Zunica DH
Kennedy C
Hernandez 2B
Lopez SS

Advertisement
Thanks for the update shoeless! I'm keeping the hope that this team will get better and better as the season goes on.

I've always held this piece of info because it never made sense to me, but JD Arteaga stopped by at a Columbus game once and he said that Radzewski was the pitcher that mentally was the farthest behind everyone. I kind of scratched my head and thought he meant someone else but he said yeah B-Rad is a "while's away from reaching his peak"

The game has changed with these bats.

You need to pitch and play defense it's imperative!

This team won't do much until it cleans up its defense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm in the "they'll get better as the season progresses" camp. Losing to FSU is never fun, but since it wasn't a conference series, it's less meaningful. BRad was off, doesn't happen often so I don't see it as a concern. The errors on the other hand as mentioned, need to stop or it's gonna be a see-saw season.

Advertisement
Back