The Bank (recruiting edition) 1/29

It’s been a while, as I wanted to let some dust settle before giving you the latest, direct information on the team and recruiting. I broke the Bank up into two sections- the latest on the new arrivals and the 2024 team can be found HERE.

The main thing I wanted to do here is identify some of the top targets in the Class of 2025. There is a lot of noise around this time, but often it is focused on guys the staff doesn’t really care about. At the Bank, we try to weed out the guys we aren’t recruiting and be the first to identify names to watch (OJ Frederique, Cole McConathy, Markel Bell etc.)

Here are some key names to watch as recruiting heats up this spring. Note that some names are left off for a reason. That doesn’t mean this list complete- sources always forget some names and evaluations are still in progress. But this is a good starting point. Let’s go position by position:

QB- Miami is locked in on Luke Nickel (Alpharetta, GA) and Luke Nickel is locked in on Miami. While Miami visited some QBs last week, I don’t expect to hear much more of that unless something unexpected happens with Nickel’s commitment. He is the guy.

RB- While Alvin Henderson (Elba, AL) has gotten the most buzz to this point, the board may be seeing a shakeup with the departure of Tim Harris. Miami is very high on Ousmane Kromah (Leesburg, GA). Byron Louis (American Heritage) is more of an option than his teammate Deandre Desinor (American Heritage) due to size. One unrated name to keep an eye on- 5’9, 200 bowling ball Joseph Troupe (Tampa).

WR- The Canes love the in-state crop at the position. The staff is sky high on Jaime Ffrench (Jacksonville), Dallas Wilson (Tampa), Vernell Brown (Orlando) and Tyler Williams (Riverview, FL). They will also recruit Ohio State commit Jayvan Boggs (Cocoa, FL). The top two local names- Cortez Mills (Homestead) and Joshua Moore (West Broward). Moore battled injury as a junior, but was outstanding in camp and as a sophomore.

TE- This is the deepest position on the board. Names to watch include Luka Gilbert (West Chester, OH), who is on campus now, Brock Schott (Leo, IN), Kiotti Armstrong (Jasper, TX), fast-rising Hayden Bradley (Bugford, GA), Thomas Meyer (Clear Lake, Iowa), Marshall Pritchett (Rabun Gap, GA) and Hollis Davidson (Peachtree City, GA).

OL- One thing I heard- they haven’t seen as many athletic, big bodies as usual during the evaluation process. Some guys are athletic but narrow, while some big guys are too slow. One name that Miami loves who has size and athleticism- Owen Strebig (Waukesha, WI). Jaelyne Matthews (Toms River, NJ) is another guy the staff loves. Cortez Smith (Lilburn, GA) is another national kid that ranks high on the board. In terms of in-state talent, Miami would love to flip Solomon Thomas (Jacksonville) from Florida State. They also really like Ziyare Addison (Riverview, FL), Max Buchanan (Sanford, FL) and Lamar Williams (Havana, FL), who has an enormous frame (6’7, 280+).

DL- Jarquez Carter (Newberry, FL) and Myron Charles (Port Charlotte, FL) are two in-state kids who have outstanding film. Miami is after both of them. Randy Adirika (Miami Central) is the best local kid and Miami wants him. Iose Epenesa (Edwardsville, IL) is one of the top players on the entire board. Miami also likes Marco Jones (Danville, CA) as an edge rusher and Nathanial Marshall (Oak City, IL) inside. Zion Grady (Enterprise, AL) may not look like your classic five-star EDGE but he is a natural rusher that Miami covets.

LB- The staff is extremely excited about commit Elijah Melendez (Kissimme, FL). Zayden Walker (Ellaville, GA) is one of the top players on the board and there is mutual interest. Miami is after both Gavin Nix and Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng from IMG. I get the sense Nix is the stronger target of the two. Locally, Miami has targeted Ezekiel Marcelin (Miami Central) and Ty Jackson (Seminole Ridge). TJ Alford (Vero Beach) is another name to watch. Despite reports, I don’t believe Mantrez Walker (Buford, GA) is in the mix.

DB- While South Florida as a whole is down for the second straight year, this is a solid group of defensive backs. Bryce Fitzgerald (Columbus), Ben Hanks (Booker T), Amari Wallace (Central) and Gregory Xavier Thomas (American Heritage) are all firmly on the board. Miami is also pushing for DJ Pickett (Zephyrhills, FL), Hylton Stubbs (Jacksonville), Vanderbilt commit Carson Lawrence (Chattanooga, TN) and Dallas Golden (Tampa), who is best friends with RB target Joseph Troupe.
I live close to Jaelyne Matthews the kid is insane was doing back flips after winning the state title last year. But something to keep in mind that I’ve heard from my best friend who recruits this area is the kids GPA is 2.5 ish. Hope that’s not true. If it is I don’t see him coming to Miami

Advertisement
Mario wants to flip Thomas….so noted…

The Office Ryan GIF

Advertisement
What is wrong with a 2.5 gpa? It’s plenty good to get into UM if the staff wants him.
I’m not confirming he has that tho of a GPA just saying what I’ve been told by a guy who spoke to my best friend about the kid. I would love to have him at UM he’s a certified Stud watched him play he’s as good as they come not Mirabol wants him

Advertisement
If the staff isn't crazy about the OL prospects and DB prospects,) isn't it smarter to just put all the NIL for those positions into a a few established players in the portal and leave open some scholarships? I mean which is better- 6 mediocre OL prospects with 5 years of eligibility or 3 OL starters with 3 years of eligibility?

If the staff isn't crazy about the OL prospects and DB prospects,) isn't it smarter to just put all the NIL for those positions into a a few established players in the portal and leave open some scholarships? I mean which is better- 6 mediocre OL prospects with 5 years of eligibility or 3 OL starters with 3 years of eligibility?
No, that only applies to QB.

Mills and Montgomery are my top 2 wr locally and possibly in the state

Why Montgomery? I know he is the highest ranked kid locally on the Composite. But other than that, what else makes you think he's the right target? Have to believe Beard of all people would know who to recruit in South Florida.

Advertisement
It’s been a while, as I wanted to let some dust settle before giving you the latest, direct information on the team and recruiting. I broke the Bank up into two sections- the latest on the new arrivals and the 2024 team can be found HERE.

The main thing I wanted to do here is identify some of the top targets in the Class of 2025. There is a lot of noise around this time, but often it is focused on guys the staff doesn’t really care about. At the Bank, we try to weed out the guys we aren’t recruiting and be the first to identify names to watch (OJ Frederique, Cole McConathy, Markel Bell etc.)

Here are some key names to watch as recruiting heats up this spring. Note that some names are left off for a reason. That doesn’t mean this list complete- sources always forget some names and evaluations are still in progress. But this is a good starting point. Let’s go position by position:

WR- The Canes love the in-state crop at the position. The staff is sky high on Jaime Ffrench (Jacksonville), Dallas Wilson (Tampa), Vernell Brown (Orlando) and Tyler Williams (Riverview, FL). They will also recruit Ohio State commit Jayvan Boggs (Cocoa, FL). The top two local names- Cortez Mills (Homestead) and Joshua Moore (West Broward). Moore battled injury as a junior, but was outstanding in camp and as a sophomore.

OL- One thing I heard- they haven’t seen as many athletic, big bodies as usual during the evaluation process. Some guys are athletic but narrow, while some big guys are too slow. One name that Miami loves who has size and athleticism- Owen Strebig (Waukesha, WI). Jaelyne Matthews (Toms River, NJ) is another guy the staff loves. Cortez Smith (Lilburn, GA) is another national kid that ranks high on the board. In terms of in-state talent, Miami would love to flip Solomon Thomas (Jacksonville) from Florida State. They also really like Ziyare Addison (Riverview, FL), Max Buchanan (Sanford, FL) and Lamar Williams (Havana, FL), who has an enormous frame (6’7, 280+).

DB- While South Florida as a whole is down for the second straight year, this is a solid group of defensive backs. Bryce Fitzgerald (Columbus), Ben Hanks (Booker T), Amari Wallace (Central) and Gregory Xavier Thomas (American Heritage) are all firmly on the board. Miami is also pushing for DJ Pickett (Zephyrhills, FL), Hylton Stubbs (Jacksonville), Vanderbilt commit Carson Lawrence (Chattanooga, TN) and Dallas Golden (Tampa), who is best friends with RB target Joseph Troupe.

@DMoney

WR…Do they view Charles at WR or S? He can't be far off Mills/Moore types right? Is Montgomery behind this group?

OL…Do you think we will make a run at any of the highly rated Vegas kids on the OL

CB…Ewald in with this group or lower in their eyes?

@DMoney

WR…Do they view Charles at WR or S? He can't be far off Mills/Moore types right? Is Montgomery behind this group?

OL…Do you think we will make a run at any of the highly rated Vegas kids on the OL

CB…Ewald in with this group or lower in their eyes?
I don't think Charles ends up in the class. Will ask about Ewald.

Advertisement
Is Nickel doing any recruiting? I love when a QB announces early and then doubles down on the commitment by talking to others the staff is targeting.

I had the chance to officiate Ousmane Kromah in basketball this past week. Kid is built like a running back and very athletic, can jump out the gym too. Lee County actually made it to the championship game in basketball last year and has another chance this year. This year in football, they just so happened to be in the same region as the state champs Thomas County Central. Lee County had a top team though.

Advertisement
Back