The Bank (camp version) (8/3)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I posted a full Bank on the Recruiting Board, but wanted to post the camp nuggets here for those that don't visit that side:

- When I asked about the first few days of camp, the phrase I heard was “night and day.” We’ve all heard that before, and we'll believe it when we see it. It’s also extremely early. But I’m told the size difference is obvious at multiple positions, especially OL and LB.

- Miami feels they landed three first round OLs in last year’s class. Francis Mauigoa is already one of the best players on the team, Samson Okunlola made perhaps the biggest leap of anyone over the summer and Tommy Kinsler looks like a freak show at tackle. Antonio Tripp and Frankie Tinilau are out with injury (back for Tinilau).

- Another name that keeps drawing raves from scouts and coaches is DT Branson Deen (Purdue transfer). His commitment flew under the radar because we were looking for a bigger DT, but this is a draftable player with outstanding leverage, twitch and effort. I was blown away when I watched his Big 10 film.

- The Jadais Richard buzz is real. He is a starter, and the only challenge now is finding out where. He can play corner, nickel or safety. Jaden Davis is another guy who looks like he will start somewhere. This will be an interesting position to watch in terms of who plays where.

- One position that has shown particular improvement- wide receiver. Colby Young and Xavier Restrepo are hard workers and it shows. Jacolby George has had a good offseason and is flashing his starter-quality talent. Guys like Breshard Smith have also flashed. If you are looking for a potential superstar from the group, nobody brings a better combination of athleticism and character than RayRay Joseph.

- Still a lot of mystery surrounding OT Zion Nelson. The same guys who expected him to be good for camp don’t know what is going on with him now.

- People who have been critical of S James Williams in the past are liking his first few practices. He has great energy, looks healthy and is performing well at S and OLB.

- QB Emory Williams drew a lot of buzz for his performance during the media portion of practice, and I am told it has carried on to the closed sessions. A lot of people are interested to see how he performs the rest of camp.

- RBs Mark Fletcher and Ajay Allen have carried over their strong offseasons. Pads will be the true test for that group. DT Josh Horton is another name that consistently draws praise.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
please god just let us stay healthy for once!!!
5F66330F-256F-43B5-ABDA-12ACC265E55E.jpeg

Any word on how Chaney is looking? Haven't heard anything on him good or bad and am curious how he is looking after the injuries.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't think it can be stated enough how rare it for a HS Freshman to start Week 1, play and play well.

There was Penei Sewell and that was it. Like, it doesn't happen.

Evan Neal would've came in and started day 1 at tackle for us. He went to Alabama instead and would've probably had a chance, if they didn't have Alex Leatherwood (17th overall) and Jedrick Willis (10th overall) at both tackle spots. He started all games for them at Guard instead, and was moved back to Tackle his Soph year.

Advertisement
Back