The Bank (camp edition 8/10)

The Couch and Citizen hype reek of fall camp hype that never shows up.

Im not out there but every year there are players that The fall hype is out of control and we get all worked up and nothing ever happens with them.

Im not saying they won’t be great but I’m not seeing Couch all of a sudden becoming lock down and Citizen passing 4 experienced backs up to start games. Injuries aside.

Advertisement

Im not out there but every year there are players that The fall hype is out of control and we get all worked up and nothing ever happens with them.

Im not saying they won’t be great but I’m not seeing Couch all of a sudden becoming lock down and Citizen passing 4 experienced backs up to start games. Injuries aside.
Nobody said couch was lock down tho. But couch has shown flashes of being able to play at a high level

I guess some have gotten used to not seeing any development.

When you have a staff, it happens.

These topics swing wildly on message boards. Some months ago prior to spring, I was in a few threads debating with folks that Couch could still serve a role here and looked worse than what he was and could be. Now some are thinking his reported improvement means more than what it is. I’ll maintain I think he’s a kid with good feet and could really help us in Nickel and Dime. We shall see what value he brings beyond that. It’s rarely black and white, everyone.

Advertisement
I don’t love our CB’s and WR’s. None of them seem like future NFL guys. But, that’s okay both units will be serviceable. The strength of the team is RB’s/TE’s on offense & the Deep safety’s on defense.

Advertisement
It’s still early, but first impressions can often tell us a lot. Here is some initial buzz from the team’s first four practices:

- The defensive line is nothing like the depleted group we saw in spring. Between the five DL transfers and the return of guys like Jared Harrison-Hunte, Elijah Roberts and Jabari Ishmael, this group can legitimately field three complete units. That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems. Akheem Mesidor, Mitchell Agude and Darrell Jackson are three new additions causing chaos.

- We’ve seen NFL defensive ends flash early on Greentree. Greg Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin come to mind. Nyjalik Kelly is cut from the same cloth. After missing spring, Kelly has come out on fire in camp and looks like a future superstar. Picks, TFLs, sacks- he is the story so far. His bend is elite, which allows him to angle toward the QB even if it looks like he’s blocked. He’s a long 6’4 with the quickness to redirect and the lower-body strength to hold up against the run. He still looks like a kid in the upper body and has major growth potential. Last year, we saw another Broward DE named Dallas Turner make a big impact for a title contender. Kelly can help us right now.

- The injury to Zion Nelson has allowed other players to get reps at LT. The most impressive so far is Jalen Rivers. His combination of IQ and sheer size has allowed him to handle disruptive players like Agude. Rivers is also a people-mover in the run game. He was arguably our best OL last year before his injury (including Zion), and I would not be surprised if the same thing is true this year.

- Our best overall CB may be Te’Cory Couch. He has added mass while maintaining his elite foot quickness and 4.4 speed. He's mostly working nickel. Another DB who is having a great start is James Williams. Everyone focuses on his size, but his IQ is his real superpower. He sniffs things out before they happen and covers so much ground with his length and twitch. Expect him to line up all over the field.

- Thomas Davis is shifting between LB and third-down rusher and showing some serious juice. It’s tough to evaluate LBs until full-contact scrimmages, but he is someone with a chance to see the field. Caleb Johnson (UCLA transfer) is also making an impression with his pure speed.

- By now, everyone has seen pictures of TreVonte’ Citizen looking like an NFL RB. But the real story is his toughness. He's not backing down from anybody and delivers blows in pass protection and at the end of runs. It's hard to judge running ability without full-contact and tackling to the ground. But based on attitude and physical tools, it would not surprise me one bit if Citizen is starting by the end of the year.

- Elijah Arroyo has lost weight and looks athletic like his high school tape. We already saw what he brings to the table as a physical blocker. Put it together, and you have one of the most gifted TEs in the nation.

- Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo have stood out at WR so far. One guy who has a chance to join that group is Romello Brinson. His twitch and suddenness are obvious and different than the rest. This is the unit to watch in the scrimmages.

@DMoney

If the season started tomorrow, who do you think are the starting 3 WRs?

The reports out of camp sound like this group is the biggest question mark, so I’m sure we will play a lot of 21 & 12 formations to lean on the TEs/RBs.

I hate playing A&M so early in the season (away) but hopefully we will come out of the gates fast.
We not running from no smoke. If we want to be back on top have to play anybody anytime anywhere. Everybody so hype on ATM like they didn’t go 8-4 last yr. Just one more win then us. With this new staff I expect a huge bump.

Its certainly not great to hear the O-Line struggling, but this should be a top unit.

Offense needs to be challenged. Even Bama can’t get nothing done with Will Anderson on the field. We don’t want Clemson’s defense to be a complete shock.

We just need TVD to develop chemistry with the outside guys. Every thing else will fall into place on gameday.

Advertisement
We not running from no smoke. If we want to be back on top have to play anybody anytime anywhere. Everybody so hype on ATM like they didn’t go 8-4 last yr. Just one more win then us. With this new staff I expect a huge bump.
There’s nothing wrong with self reflection. We are a middle tier ACC program who’s been blown out of every big game the last decade minus ND. You might want the smoke. I want to win. It’s going to take time

I guess some have gotten used to not seeing any development.

When you have a staff, it happens.
It happens with the other guys too, and Citizen has experienced and talented guys ahead of him. Barring injury, I see him being in the top 2 rotation by start of next season unless he’s playing like Dalvin Cook from the jump.

Advertisement
Wouldn’t rooster also fit that description?
As a a
James Williams is a LB.

He just isn't eating enough to put on the pounds.

Ray Ray Armstrong 2.0

He is a hybrid freak you can put anywhere on the field.

He is the prototype for the future of positionless defense.

If he wants to be called a safety, fine, but I’m lining him up at edge, backer, striker,Ss and deep. Basically any thing but dt or corner.

As a a

He is a hybrid freak you can put anywhere on the field.

He is the prototype for the future of positionless defense.

If he wants to be called a safety, fine, but I’m lining him up at edge, backer, striker,Ss and deep. Basically any thing but dt or corner.
Ok

Advertisement
Back