The Bank (8/21)

View as article
Advertisement
Depends on how Gattis feels about it...

If you’re asking me, of course I would, but it’s not something that Gattis ran very often if much at all during his tenure at Michigan. Maybe different personnel creates different circumstances that results in wider array of formation & Splits, but it remains to be seen exactly how much we can glean from his previous stint as OC.

Again, it goes back to philosophy; it’s a matter of what kind of play caller are you when things you expect to work don’t work? Could they implement some concepts from last year that bore success? Sure they could. Will they? We’ll see...
I won't question Mario until he gives me a reason to do so....however...I'll leave this out there..

Can't recall if it were before or immediately after the OC/Gattis hire.....he was asked about his preferred "style" of offensive scheme....but Mario said and I quote "If we have to throw it 50 times a game to win then that's what we'll do".....

so I'm going to assume he's a man of his word and that our offense will adjust to the personnel/talent on the 2022 team.

What are your thoughts on that? @Liberty City El @Cribby @LuCane

im not saying he’ll be like him. I was responding to Liberty’s post about inflexibility. As I said, Gattis is an ambitious professional. My hope is he’ll adjust as needed. Look forward to seeing it.
Here's hoping lol

I won't question Mario until he gives me a reason to do so....however...I'll leave this out there..

Can't recall if it were before or immediately after the OC/Gattis hire.....he was asked about his preferred "style" of offensive scheme....but Mario said and I quote "If we have to throw it 50 times a game to win then that's what we'll do".....

so I'm going to assume he's a man of his word and that our offense will adjust to the personnel/talent on the 2022 team.

What are your thoughts on that? @Liberty City El @Cribby @LuCane

I'm not anyone you quoted, so take it FWIW of course, but every coach I've ever heard speak has said something along those lines "we're not going to be balanced just to be balanced, if we have to throw/run 50 times we will" etc. I'm not saying Mario is lying or being misleading, just that every coach always says those things, especially after a change in philosophy/identity.

Advertisement
We are going to pass the ball more than our fans seem to think. It is obvious people are in for some surprises with who is playing and where they play with some guys. I am picking Mello to break out before George. Who knows, but I don't expect near as much from either this season as others do. I will have a wait and see attitude with a couple spots. Expecting a good season all in all with a guess of 9-3 record.

I'd really love to see Ivey put it all together at game time.

I also want to see Steed show what he's capable of.
I have seen film and Steed is having a **** of a camp. This is going to be a great season and the D-Line is everything that the media is saying they are. I’m hearing a lot of good things about Darrell Jackson (almost G-Willis type status).

Did being in the B1G have a lot to do with the offense he ran?

Gattis is obviously sharp as a tack. I could be completely off base, but I can’t see him running his offense come **** or high water especially since he stated a time or 2 he’ll cater his offense based on available personnel.

Gleaning some info from player post practiSe pressers, the OL and TVD say they’re pulling more than last year, even the C. All including TVD seem excited about the new offense. Time will tell.
I wasn’t saying that he will.

LuCane asked me do I think he’ll implement some concepts in terms of the wide splits that we used last year that made for easy completions to the perimeter while moving the chains & my answer was, I don’t know.

Advertisement
No
Love that combo. Wes and Chase Smith as 2’s. Look. Out.
Does that mean that Steed and Flagg go from getting the most reps with the 1st team to 3rd string? I can't see that happening. Having said that your 2 deep would be something I would really like. Still Flagg and Steed will get pt somehow. Unless we have enough depth where coach Strong thinks we have enough for 3 units of 2 starting LBs. I think Steed is going to have a very good year.

Last edited:
How concerned should we be about the offense? Seems like there is some struggles 2 weeks into camp. Don’t want to overreact cause the season is on the way and the ultimately will prove everything but doesn’t seem like anyone is separating besides restrepo and TVD.
I'm not concerned until I see game action. We'll know what we are after week 3.

Continues to be obvious imo. Our O will live and die with TE’s & X. Just get creative with Parrish and Knighton
We've seen nothing. We hear of the negatives of dropped passes and the sky is falling.

Let's wait until we see some game action before we draw conclusions for the season.

Advertisement
I wasn’t saying that he will.

LuCane asked me do I think he’ll implement some concepts in terms of the wide splits that we used last year that made for easy completions to the perimeter while moving the chains & my answer was, I don’t know.
Taking a whole group of WR who played well in last year's scheme and purposely making them fit an offense that doesn't suit their talents seems so counterintuitive to me and flies in the face of Gattis's stated philosophy of tailoring his offense to fit his personnel. I just have a hard time accepting that such an intelligent coach(Gattis) would cut his nose off to spite his own face. I'm not entirely buying the whole WR room is a huge weak point narrative. The whole thing just reeks of sandbagging. We'll see what happens at ATM.

Saw a comment from Canesport stating "staff will keep Brashard where he is for the time being and mine the portal for a plug in RB". Checked some portal listings ... and there were a couple of guys that looked interesting ... but would need to be vetted for sure.

-Caziah Holmes ... 4 * from Cocoa Florida ... entered the portal from PSU.
-Emeka Mega ... 4* that entered the portal from Washington (6'1" 220 pounds).
-Elija Crockett ... from California ... spent a year at Alabama .... 5'11" 210 pounds. Didn't play at Bama ... his school in Cali
went undefeated in 2020 the shortened covid season. You would think if he was a Bama take he might be able to help out
an under staffed UM.
I don't understand you're thinking. This isn't the NFL. School is about to start. After labor day, late enrollment is likely over.

I just don't see convincing any RB to transfer in the next 10 days to be a backup while our injured RBs recover. When they return, he'll be pushed further down the depth chart so he can hit the portal again at the end of the season.

Perry has shown flashes and is sufficient to have a role while the injured RBs are out.

Get a portal RB 2 weeks before the season starts?
I never understood those comments. These people act like this is the NFL and we'll just pull someone off the waiver wire.

First of all, It's too close to the start of the season.

Secondly and most importantly, the guys who have entered the portal aren't looking to transfer to sit on someone else's bench.

People are clamoring for a portal running back to be 4th string until Chaney returns and then they'll be 5th string at best and maybe even 6th because Perry has shown some flashes.

I think Perry fits the role that is needed. I think he's earned an opportunity.

Advertisement
As you said you’ve been down on TS from the minute he arrived so your take Is true to brand lol, I can respect that. My stance is more me thinking Gm’s and scouts will love him because of more than his CB play. I think he can be a good cb but there’s not many guys walking around at his size that can do what he does. Capable of playing multiple positions.

He played last year at 215 without playing outside since HS. Which is crazy in itself. The same guy who played immediately as a FR at Uga on a loaded roster. Regardless if it’s safety , cb or hybrid position hes perfect for the nfl.

There’s people outside the program with more football smarts than posters on a message board think that the first or second round is very much possible. Especially after scouts see him in person and watching him at the combine. On top of that he’s a high character kid.
A great comp is Antrelle Rolle. He’s big, physical but can also cover smaller shifty guys. That type of versatility plus he can run like a horse gets you drafted in the top 64. Imo The team success is what can catapult him into the first round. Winning matters and isn’t discussed enough in relation to get drafted

I don't understand you're thinking. This isn't the NFL. School is about to start. After labor day, late enrollment is likely over.

I just don't see convincing any RB to transfer in the next 10 days to be a backup while our injured RBs recover. When they return, he'll be pushed further down the depth chart so he can hit the portal again at the end of the season.

Perry has shown flashes and is sufficient to have a role while the injured RBs are out.
Reading comprehension. It isn't MY thinking. It was stated on another site THAT THE STAFF SAID THEY WERE GOING TO LOOK AT THE PORTAL to see who might be available. It isn't about CONVINCING a RB to transfer .... there are still people IN the portal. It is all about fit. If the STAFF believes that the RB room is looking scary from a depth perspective when a game has yet to be played ... long season ahead ... and a guy IS available that fits the bill and has the potential to be a featured back next season as well ... like maybe the guy from Bama ... then it could make sense. Looking and evaluating options is always part of the game.

I have seen film and Steed is having a **** of a camp. This is going to be a great season and the D-Line is everything that the media is saying they are. I’m hearing a lot of good things about Darrell Jackson (almost G-Willis type status).
Glad your boy is finally getting a shot in a real defense that allows him to hit his gaps and not get mauled every **** play

Advertisement
Back