The Bank (8/21)

View as article
6 ft plus corners who run in the 4.5s get drafted in the top 2 rounds. It will depend on the draft order if he can slide into the late first round.
He played at 6’1 and change , 218 pounds at UGA. His ceiling at the next level is why I think GM’s will nut their pants over him. Big kid that will run 4.4-4.5, plays physical , great punch off the line , not afraid to bring the hat and has the hips to turn and run. He’s strong enough to line up over a te and hold his own. He still has technique / footwork things to work on but the tangibles and intangibles are through the roof. Regardless if it’s the first or third round I believe he’ll be getting years of pro checks.

Advertisement
IMHO, that's being hopeful Brock. The Harley/Pope/Wiggins combo was awful because of drops. And we were saying the same thing during camp. Usually, with WRs, what you see in camp is better than what you get at gametime. Lots of Greentree All Americans. Rambo was the exception.
Harley led the team in receptions, yards and touchdowns in 2020 and finished the all time receptions leader. I don’t think lumping him in with two guys who get benched and transferred is accurate.

I'm skeptical of th fall camp overreactions when I hear these things:

1. We have a suspect WR group that doesn't make plays

2. We have the best secondary in a decade with a projected 1st round pick.

Soooo naturally I'm thinking, maybe the WRs aren't that bad if the secondary is elite?

Maybe the secondary isn't that good if the WRs suck?

Lol imma wait until I see these guys on the field against an opponent to decide.
Waiting to watch games to evaluate performance? What's the fun in having facts?

Exactly. It'll be hard enough to fend those two off even with remaining healthy.

I hope Mallory is about that life because if he plans to be in the NFL, it's going to get a whole heck of a lot more physical than it is on Greentree right now.
He blocks as well/poorly as dolphins TE Gesicki, who they mysteriously put the franchise tag on.

Advertisement
We definitely have some talent in the WR room it’s just very young too

I was concerned when Rambo bolted because I thought most of these guys outside of X were still a year away

I have an absurd amount of scared posts about Rambo from way back in the winter haha. This is playing out how I feared, though there’s time for these guys to get right once the games start too
I haven't liked the wrs we recruited we need to do better there. We need the difference makers. We got help on the way but I hope soon maybe next class we land a bonified first rounder type.

I haven't liked the wrs we recruited we need to do better there. We need the difference makers. We got help on the way but I hope soon maybe next class we land a bonified first rounder type.
It's definitely not an evaluation issue at receiver. We gotta find a way to start closing on these difference makers and change the narrative at that position.

Anyone ever wonder what’s wrong with the WRs we recruit? We got guys that were sought after. We had hype around last years class. Now they’re here, and I will disregard last year, but why can’t they be good with a proper coach teaching them? Hard to imagine they are all strikeouts.
Different WR’s work better in different systems.

None of the current WR’s were recruited to fit this system.

This system requires more precision in technique & mechanics in route running. The timing is a lot more of a focal point & the spacing is different, which means the onus to getting open & in your spot on time to catch the ball is more on the WR & not already baked into the system. The windows are tighter, therefore the propensity to drop the ball will be higher if you’re not already an Elite hands catcher to begin with.

Hence why the WR who has excelled the most thus far & has had the easiest transition was the best route runner, XR.

Between George, Brinson, K Smith & B Smith, it will take them some time to get more congruent with the Offense.

Advertisement
Hear, f'in hear. If I could mark your post as "1000" instead of "100," I would.
Watching the scrimmage yesterday this was the hardest part to determine.

The receivers just didn’t make plays. Any semi-contested ball on the outside was a drop. So, as good as the DBs looked at times I couldn’t help but wonder if some of their pass breakups would or should have been catches.

I will say this. The most noticeable thing about the secondary to me was the versatility. We have a number of guys that can play a number of positions on the back end, and they were utilized in a variety of ways yesterday. Pairing that versatility with a guy like Steele gets me excited. I can only imagine how confusing the looks might be for opposing offenses.

I’ll also note that despite the flexibility it certainly looks like a well coached D. Guys are playing fast, they seem to know what to do. Or I guess I could say, they were “flying around.”

Watching the scrimmage yesterday this was the hardest part to determine.

The receivers just didn’t make plays. Any semi-contested ball on the outside was a drop. So, as good as the DBs looked at times I couldn’t help but wonder if some of their pass breakups would or should have been catches.

I will say this. The most noticeable thing about the secondary to me was the versatility. We have a number of guys that can play a number of positions on the back end, and they were utilized in a variety of ways yesterday. Pairing that versatility with a guy like Steele gets me excited. I can only imagine how confusing the looks might be for opposing offenses.

I’ll also note that despite the flexibility it certainly looks like a well coached D. Guys are playing fast, they seem to know what to do. Or I guess I could say, they were “flying around.”
Havent gotten to watch any, and I realize there’s only so much you could or should say, so here are a few of my curiosities:

- How often will we use odd fronts? If at all? We’ve got so many pieces that fit perfectly into those type of fronts.

- How are the LB responsibilities? Hopefully, this will be one of the bigger changes. Guys without what seemed like clear gap responsibilities was a wild thing to watch once our DL talent wasn’t sufficiently disruptive.

- if you can, would love to hear if, at base, we’ve improved our zone play on the backend. What’s the communication like?

- Safety responsibilities are as big or bigger in our transformation as a defense. Hopefully, no more hanging dudes out to dry.

If you have anything you’re able to share, I’m sure many of us would appreciate it. If you can’t, all good. Thanks for the post, regardless.

Advertisement
He blocks as well/poorly as dolphins TE Gesicki, who they mysteriously put the franchise tag on.
Man, they might trade him in the next 2 weeks. He looked AWFUL last night. Ragdolled in the run. Dropped 2-3 passes. You have to block in this scheme.
And if I’m being honest, I think he’s a decent TE.

Harley led the team in receptions, yards and touchdowns in 2020 and finished the all time receptions leader. I don’t think lumping him in with two guys who get benched and transferred is accurate.

You’re taking my comment out of context.

Some posters are saying not to be concerned with drops and pointing to how Rambo emerged last season after camp. IMO Rambo was an exception. All you have to do is look at the previous season to see that usually what you see in camp is exactly what you get in the games. Maybe you even get worse in games.

Were Harley, Pope and Wiggins our starters in 2020 or not? I was lumping them together because they were WR 1, 2 and 3. And they were not good as a group.

Different WR’s work better in different systems.

None of the current WR’s were recruited to fit this system.

This system requires more precision in technique & mechanics in route running. The timing is a lot more of a focal point & the spacing is different, which means the onus to getting open & in your spot on time to catch the ball is more on the WR & not already baked into the system. The windows are tighter, therefore the propensity to drop the ball will be higher if you’re not already an Elite hands catcher to begin with.

Hence why the WR who has excelled the most thus far & has had the easiest transition was the best route runner, XR.

Between George, Brinson, K Smith & B Smith, it will take them some time to get more congruent with the Offense.
Exactly why I want(ed) Jean in this class. Great fit.

Advertisement
I can’t wait to see the situational stuff with Steele. I‘d like to see KK, AW and JW on the field together on obvious pass downs. Same with the front 4 and JH, Agude, Mesidoor and Taylor. Maybe Elijah inside. Throw Keontra out there and you’d have a nice , athletic dime formation. Even using JW as a star / nickel lb. This could be fun.

i will ***** slap you dave chappelle GIF
feel kenny GIF

excited to hear more on Agude. Kid looks like Cameron Wake and I wouldn't be surprised if he's our best pass rusher

Advertisement
Back