The Bank (8/21)

View as article
I’ll answer this and your follow up to @Cribby At Georgia Kirby had him play five different positions in in the first five games of his sophomore season. Versatility is a huge deal to the NFL. He came home and played outside corner for the entire season. He progressed as a CB until he got hurt. He payed three games with a bad shoulder, before he left to get it fixed. He wouldn’t have made it to the forth round in last years draft. He had a third round grade last year from the NFL. He’s rated this year as the third or forth best CB depending on who you talk to in the NFL. There are a total of four top tier CB’s in this upcoming draft. Unlike the last two drafts, the next one is very short on top tier CB talent. Him and Ringo are the two biggest and Tyrique is a lot more versatile. We’ll see what happens, but no one would be surprised if he stays healthy and performs well this season, if he was the first one to come off the board. I’m biased for many different reasons, but the NFL doesn’t give a **** what I think. He’s a leader, football smart as fvck, he doesn’t party AT ALL and doesn’t give a **** about shiny toys/money. The kid is a DC’s and front office’s dream. He doesn’t have a shot of getting out of the second group of 20. He’s an early second rounder at worst. The best WR in the country caught a nine yard wheel route on him against Pitt. One catch 😂 he picked the first quarterback taken in the draft. He had one bad half last season, because he was throwing up on the sidelines and he kept playing for his teammates. He’s also the strongest CB to ever play here. He’s broken all of Rolle’s lifting records and that’s coming off of shoulder surgery. He was the best player on our defense last year and he’ll be the best again this year. Quiet CB’s are the best ones. Everyone knows who Ivey is, because his game is loud. He’s an honorable mention all American and the national media doesn’t know him as a Cane or a CB. He’s first team all ACC. The NFL doesn’t care what the media popularity contest looks like either. Let’s enjoy the best CB to play here in almost 20 years. Lastly he’s playing in the system he spent two years playing in at Georgia. Last year was his first in Manny’s garbage. He’s going to own 2022.

Twitches in my britches.

Good stuff!

I'm so glad we're off the Amateur Hour of Head Coaching Staffs!

Advertisement
Tyrique is the type of player I'd expect Bill Belichick to scout, draft, and turn into a utility player on his defense. Belichick has a history of turning corners into inside players - Mccourty, Eugene Wilson, and others. He's spoken at length about how he likes taking the cornerback skill set, identifying guys with good recognition skills, and transfer them to utility roles.

I hope you’re undervaluing him, but if he’s a top five CB he’s gone before 40. That’s a fair and conservative grade. That would also imply he doubled his first contract money coming back for his senior season. Fwiw as the fifth best CB in the draft, that’s the best since 2004 for us, I believe.
artie burns pick 25 by the steelers in 2016. terrible pick. here's to hoping that TS stays healthy and does well. seems like a good person

Advertisement
I'm skeptical of th fall camp overreactions when I hear these things:

1. We have a suspect WR group that doesn't make plays

2. We have the best secondary in a decade with a projected 1st round pick.

Soooo naturally I'm thinking, maybe the WRs aren't that bad if the secondary is elite?

Maybe the secondary isn't that good if the WRs suck?

Lol imma wait until I see these guys on the field against an opponent to decide.

Soooo naturally I'm thinking, maybe the WRs aren't that bad if the secondary is elite?

Lol imma wait until I see these guys on the field against an opponent to decide.
Hear, f'in hear. If I could mark your post as "1000" instead of "100," I would.

I said this during spring. But the hands thing isn't something that can be turned on/off its been consistent.

Advertisement

giphy+%282%29.gif

facts on facts ... can't have it both ways ... mario has even mentioned that most of the catches are contested

Advertisement
Yea its beginning to feel like 8-4 will be a good season. I was hoping for better with TVD under center but it seems like this O is not going to be up to it.

Still hoping for 9-3 maybe 10-2 🤞🤞🤞
Just because WR won't be a atrength of the team, people are overreacting as if the offense will be bad. Average WRs with top-notch TEs, one of the best QBs in college, and talented (albeit injury depleted for part of the season) RBs does not equal an offensive disaster. Its not playoff caliber, but we arent there yet anyway. But its a good offense personnel-wise, and with scheme can be very good. If even one WR steps up during the season to pair with Restrepo, it can be a very strong offense.

Advertisement
Below are some notes on yesterday's scrimmage based on numerous conversations with sources:

- Overall, the offense looked sharper than last scrimmage, although the defense won the day. Tyler Van Dyke had better pockets and was driving the ball. He had a long pass down the middle to Xavier Restrepo along with a TD to Elijah Arroyo.

- With the room depeleted by injuries, walk-on RBs Devon Perry and Terrell Walden II had moments to shine. Perry in particular looked explosive with a 50+ yard TD run. Thad Franklin also had some slippery runs between the tackles.

- The throw of the day was a corner route TD from Jake Garcia to Jacolby George.

- The top overall performer on the day may have been freshman CB Chris Graves. He had at least four pass breakups and continues to tackle with physicality. He is young for his grade and the arrow is still pointing up.

- Jaleel Skinner had several nice catches-and-runs along with a TD in red zone work.

- The wide receivers had some drops and continued to have issues making big plays downfield in contested situations. However, Gattis seems to be doing a better job of scheming players open for chunk plays (especially Restrepo).

- Nyjalik Kelly and Leonard Taylor made nice plays in the backfield.

- The linebackers had another good day, with Caleb Johnson looking the best of the group. Chase Smith continues to flash unique twitch and strike ability, especially as a blitzer.

- Anez Cooper continues to flash with several pancake blocks.

- Malik Curtis got some opportunities with the ones and showed big-time speed running down Restrepo and preventing a TD.

- Justice Oluwasun is battling Logan Sagapolu at RG and got significant work with the 1s. He’s also getting work at RT.
Finally a Curtis tid bit

Are these the same analysts that had Kaaya going round 1? Idgaf about the walkerfootball mock bruh. No reputable analyst is putting a 4 year starter with no accolades on their draft board. He's also been hurt 3/4 years.
Quick check shows him rd 1 or 2 on numerous mock drafts. We all get it though, you have to maintain your "edgy" contrarian view on everything to keep your schtick going.

Malik Curtis and Chris graves I like

Restrepo isn't fast he's our Edelman/Renfrow imo .....let's hope he's able to endure punishment over the middle throughout the course of the season.
He's 200+ built like a RB & is the type of guy that will do anything possible to keep his body ready to play all season. As far as injuries he's about the first I don't worry about.

Advertisement
Back