The Bank (8/21)

View as article
Advertisement
Agreed. Spoke to my Michigan friend who said they lost their #1 WR game 1 last year and gattis schemed around it all year. Said he still got guys open all year and utilized his RB for catches. I think he has enough to make it work.
Helps when you also have a really good qb who can throw dudes open (Miami not Michigan lol).

This right here. The DL and secondary is the best it’s been in FOREVER. We have a true first rounder at CB in Stevenson. The receivers are good, but **** one side of the field is always on lockdown. There’s no true number one, but you’re not getting him free if there is. We have a great coaching staff and depth. It’s most telling that the best receiver is out of the slot.

Do you guys really believe Stevenson is a "true first rounder"? He played well last year, don't get me wrong. But he wasn't the game changer most first rounders are. Or has he taken a big step under Steele and Addae?

Advertisement
Below are some notes on yesterday's scrimmage based on numerous conversations with sources:

- Overall, the offense looked sharper than last scrimmage, although the defense won the day. Tyler Van Dyke had better pockets and was driving the ball. He had a long pass down the middle to Xavier Restrepo along with a TD to Elijah Arroyo.

- With the room depeleted by injuries, walk-on RBs Devon Perry and Terrell Walden II had moments to shine. Perry in particular looked explosive with a 50+ yard TD run. Thad Franklin also had some slippery runs between the tackles.

- The throw of the day was a corner route TD from Jake Garcia to Jacolby George.

- The top overall performer on the day may have been freshman CB Chris Graves. He had at least four pass breakups and continues to tackle with physicality. He is young for his grade and the arrow is still pointing up.

- Jaleel Skinner had several nice catches-and-runs along with a TD in red zone work.

- The wide receivers had some drops and continued to have issues making big plays downfield in contested situations. However, Gattis seems to be doing a better job of scheming players open for chunk plays (especially Restrepo).

- Nyjalik Kelly and Leonard Taylor made nice plays in the backfield.

- The linebackers had another good day, with Caleb Johnson looking the best of the group. Chase Smith continues to flash unique twitch and strike ability, especially as a blitzer.

- Anez Cooper continues to flash with several pancake blocks.

- Malik Curtis got some opportunities with the ones and showed big-time speed running down Restrepo and preventing a TD.

- Justice Oluwasun is battling Logan Sagapolu at RG and got significant work with the 1s. He’s also getting work at RT.
Which WRs continue to drop the most balls

guys emerge as the season starts, no one would have predicted Rambo would have done what he did last season if you go by just spring and fall camp

IMHO, that's being hopeful Brock. The Harley/Pope/Wiggins combo was awful because of drops. And we were saying the same thing during camp. Usually, with WRs, what you see in camp is better than what you get at gametime. Lots of Greentree All Americans. Rambo was the exception.

Advertisement
Why do some of y’all equate a weakness on the team to the apocalypse. It’s like saying “I’m broke” with 5k in the bank. You can’t buy a car but you sure as heck ain't starving.

WR needed an alpha and didn’t get it. Wish Rambo would’ve stayed but he did what he had to do to believe he could make the League. If he can’t it isn’t because he left. If we’d have gotten Zay or another dude in and out of the portal but we didn’t.

This is how I see the season: the WRs mean we get “crock potted” in the two games we probably weren’t going to win anyway: TAMU and Clemson. Those Ds will do enough to launch a thousand porsts counterfactualizing Lashlee’s effectiveness against elite squads (remember, he sucked). Maybe — maybe — they keep a few more games close that we should’ve won easily, but I by no means think they’ll “cost us 4 games”. They’ll just eat up our margins.

Wasn’t coach Gattis running stride for stride with him in practice one time ?
Yes, I immediately was 🤦🏿‍♂️ when I saw that. But I told myself that drill must have been called for the WR to fend off the defender for the ball, so Young wasn’t focused on out running Gattis. Thats just the way my mind works when it comes to the Canes.

Why do some of y’all equate a weakness on the team to the apocalypse. It’s like saying “I’m broke” with 5k in the bank. You can’t buy a car but you sure as heck ain't starving.

WR needed an alpha and didn’t get it. Wish Rambo would’ve stayed but he did what he had to do to believe he could make the League. If he can’t it isn’t because he left. If we’d have gotten Zay or another dude in and out of the portal but we didn’t.

This is how I see the season: the WRs mean we get “crock potted” in the two games we probably weren’t going to win anyway: TAMU and Clemson. Those Ds will do enough to launch a thousand porsts counterfactualizing Lashlee’s effectiveness against elite squads (remember, he sucked). Maybe — maybe — they keep a few more games close that we should’ve won easily, but I by no means think they’ll “cost us 4 games”. They’ll just eat up our margins.

For my part, this was all expected. Though I have to admit I really hoped Brinson would emerge. Sky is not falling, we're the 9-3 +/- 1 team I imagined. But I'm disappointed we're wasting TVD, who has a beautiful deep ball. And putting more pressure on a depleted RB squad.

p.s. 5K in the bank would be the apocalypse with my wife.

Advertisement
Do you guys really believe Stevenson is a "true first rounder"? He played well last year, don't get me wrong. But he wasn't the game changer most first rounders are. Or has he taken a big step under Steele and Addae?

At this point, no. I think he will make himself some money this year and elevate his status due to scheme, coaching, and the improved pass rush and overall play on that side of the ball but I am with you, he isn’t a sure fire 1st rounder right now. He will also test well, which will obviously help. Him even being drafted on day 2, especially top 60, can even help us a ton when it comes to selling to these kids. We need that desperately.

Only coach Cribby talk , nothing more that I know of but I’ll ask
Saw a comment from Canesport stating "staff will keep Brashard where he is for the time being and mine the portal for a plug in RB". Checked some portal listings ... and there were a couple of guys that looked interesting ... but would need to be vetted for sure.

-Caziah Holmes ... 4 * from Cocoa Florida ... entered the portal from PSU.
-Emeka Mega ... 4* that entered the portal from Washington (6'1" 220 pounds).
-Elija Crockett ... from California ... spent a year at Alabama .... 5'11" 210 pounds. Didn't play at Bama ... his school in Cali
went undefeated in 2020 the shortened covid season. You would think if he was a Bama take he might be able to help out
an under staffed UM.

Advertisement
The fact Curtis is emerging is great news. As I said in the Clarke portal thread, Curtis and Clarke were athletically gifted but projects at CB. A 50/50 hit on flyers is quite good. And Clarke may get there, just not soon enough for him to play at Miami as we're upgrading under Mario.

Saw a comment from Canesport stating "staff will keep Brashard where he is for the time being and mine the portal for a plug in RB". Checked some portal listings ... and there were a couple of guys that looked interesting ... but would need to be vetted for sure.

-Caziah Holmes ... 4 * from Cocoa Florida ... entered the portal from PSU.
-Emeka Mega ... 4* that entered the portal from Washington (6'1" 220 pounds).
-Elija Crockett ... from California ... spent a year at Alabama .... 5'11" 210 pounds. Didn't play at Bama ... his school in Cali
went undefeated in 2020 the shortened covid season. You would think if he was a Bama take he might be able to help out
an under staffed UM.

Portal kids can play right away, correct? We're at 84 with the Clarke transfer out.

This right here. The DL and secondary is the best it’s been in FOREVER. We have a true first rounder at CB in Stevenson. The receivers are good, but **** one side of the field is always on lockdown. There’s no true number one, but you’re not getting him free if there is. We have a great coaching staff and depth. It’s most telling that the best receiver is out of the slot.
That’s quite the statement on Rique. We all know he is an NFL talent but I really didn’t think he was that good. I also feel like he gets moved to safety at the next level as well

Advertisement
Back