The Bank (6/8)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Here is the latest info as we head into a monster recruiting weekend with multiple five stars:

- CB Demetrius Freeney (JUCO) is committing tonight and I expect him to pick the Canes. This was not a lock coming out of his visit, but Miami's strong relationship with his coaches helped us here. He looked very well put-together at 6'1, 180 on his visit and is a high-character kid with speed (10.9 100M) and the athleticism of a high school quarterback. This isn't just about instant impact, but also securing the future. He has three years of eligibility.

- There are numerous five star players on campus this weekend, and our performance on the field will play a huge role in how many of them ultimately sign. Last year, we were 0-0. Now, we're 5-7. As just one example, CB Ellis Robinson (IMG) loves Miami but is watching our performance on the field closely. Whether a big-time target commits to us or commits elsewhere, I expect those recruitments to remain open depending on our W/L. If we trend in a positive direction on the field, the momentum could be massive.

- Miami feels really good about where they sit with S Zaquan Patterson (Chaminade). He visited on Wednesday. Miami loves his athleticism.

- LB recruiting should move quickly in the next couple weeks. The staff remains extremely high on James Nesta (Charlotte), who visited last weekend. He has big visits coming up to Oklahoma and North Carolina but there is confidence there. Same with Keyshawn Flowers (Baltimore), who visits this weekend. The favorite of some in the building is Cameron Pruitt (Mobile), who has drawn Lavonte David comparisons. He is also visiting this weekend. The big question is whether Miami would take all three to join commitment Vincent Shavers (Central). These situations usually shake out naturally. All told, my current expectation is that the LB class consists of some combination of these names.

- RB Kevin Riley (Tuscaloosa) visits next week and remains one of the highest rated players on our overall board. Many wonder why we would place so much effort into a kid from Tuscaloosa who Saban wants so bad. My understanding is that some in his circle want him out of Alabama, and he is receptive to leaving town.

- TE Amir Jackson (Portal, GA) continues to be the hot name at tight end after his on-campus workout last week. He is from a small town but likes it at Miami. TE Elija Lofton (Las Vegas) is visiting this weekend and Miami is looking to close the deal. Unlike many of the other targets visiting this weekend, I think this one needs to end with a commitment. Otherwise, he may be headed to Texas.

- Miami has made significant strides with WR Drelon Miller (Port Arthur, Texas). Director of Recruiting Operations Tia Joseph has played a huge role in that recruitment. Miami/Texas A&M battle. WR Braylon Staley (Aiken, SC) is visiting this weekend and emerging as a major target. Miami/Tennessee battle. DL Kamarion Franklin (Memphis area) is also looking like a Miami/Tennessee battle after an outstanding visit. Wish I was getting better feedback on WR Jerrae "Tank" Hawkins (IMG) at this point of the process. He is hard to read, which can be a bad sign.

- The most talented player visiting this weekend may not even be a five star. Miami is sky-high on DL LJ McCray (Daytona Beach) and his physical ability. They've compared him to Leonard Williams of the New York Giants, who hails from the same high school.

- Miami has been holding football camps for high schoolers, and one name stood out with his performance is Palmetto WR Jacory Barney. He has visits set up with Nebraska, Illinois and Texas A&M but Miami is intrigued.

- OT Tye Hylton (Orlando) is visiting this weekend and is a take. Mirabal wants developmental tackles with impact upside and Hylton fits the bill. Miami also intends to bring fast-rising OT Kavion Broussard (Baton Rouge) for an unofficial visit.

- Signee Robert Stafford (Melbourne) has made a huge impression early in workouts, with multiple INTs. Some have even talked about him possibly playing some offense and returning the ball.

- I've already mentioned that OL Tommy Kinsler and DL Joshua Horton have opened eyes in workouts since arriving at Miami. Some more names that were pointed out to me: WR Colbie Young, RB Ajay Allen, RB Mark Fletcher and CB Jaden Davis.

Advertisement
Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

Advertisement
Hey D, I thought there was a lot of buzz about some really high profile kids committing between now and mid July. How does one rationalize that against your comments above about having to prove it on the field for the 5 stars to commit?

Advertisement
Hey D, I thought there was a lot of buzz about some really high profile kids committing between now and mid July. How does one rationalize that against your comments above about having to prove it on the field for the 5 stars to commit?
I think we will get high-profile commits before we play. But we may need to play well to keep them committed, and we may steal some kids committed elsewhere if we play well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back