The Bank (4/3)

View as article
Brother, every time I get worried about DT in the offseason, I hear the same reassurances. But it comes back to bite us in the *** without fail. We just lost our best DT to the NFL and his expected backfill (Burroughs) was dismissed.

So now we're going to be saved by true freshmen? Do people realize how much of a unicorn Bain and Mauigoa are. They're Freshmen AAs, that means there are only a couple of them across the entire nation. You can't count on 18 year olds to stand up to grown men on the line, I do not care that they're 280-300+ like Scott, Jones and Blount (who is 16 or 17). Samson couldn't do it last year on the OL.

So who is going to step up? Clark is not generating buzz. Moten is not generating buzz. What's that tell you? Horton is injured. My experience seeing 20 years of failure to recruit and develop the DT positions screams at me that this a much bigger problem than the optimists are willing to admit to themselves.
Artavius Jones is now up to 305 and he will be more than strong enough to provide some depth this season. He is on his way to becoming back to back Florida weightlifting state champion.

As a Jr he posted a total of 725 at the state championship (420 Bench and 305 Clean and Jerk)

He recently posted a total of 765, 40 pounds more than his state championship total.
https://www.mypanhandle.com/sports/local-sports/blountstowns-jones-chasing-second-state-title/

This kid could easily step on this team and instantly be one of the strongest players on the team as a true freshman.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Artavius Jones is now up to 305 and he will be more than strong enough to provide a some depth this season. He is on his way to becoming back to back Florida weightlifting state champion.

As a Jr he posted a total of 725 at the state championship (425 Bench and 305 Clean and Jerk)

He recently posted a total of 765, 40 pounds more than his state championship total.
https://www.mypanhandle.com/sports/local-sports/blountstowns-jones-chasing-second-state-title/

This kid could easily step on this team and instantly be one of the strongest players on the team as a true freshman.

wow!

Advertisement
There’s so many nuances to all this, but here’s another one to think about.

2023 Miami had a pretty good offensive line, correct? Not the best in America, but plenty serviceable. Good to very good, at worst.

We averaged 3.5 YPC against Georgia Tech. Didn’t ram it down their throats in the A-gaps much there, did we? And TVD was only sacked once, so it’s not like it skewed the rushing numbers. So I guess GT had really havoc wreaking DTs? How many NFL guys they got inside? Hmm.

Didn’t run a lick against NC State. Yeah, but who’d they have up front? Oh yeah, a kid who’s on our ******* team now.

4.3 YPC against UVA, while giving up zero sacks. They must have some monsters up front to shut our run game down.

Such a silly argument. We’re plenty good enough inside to beat all these Mickey Mouse teams.
It’s hard to run let alone win against the teams you mentioned when they stack the box with 9+ players because your starting QB only threw 1 TD but 8 INTs

Artavius Jones is now up to 305 and he will be more than strong enough to provide a some depth this season. He is on his way to becoming back to back Florida weightlifting state champion.

As a Jr he posted a total of 725 at the state championship (425 Bench and 305 Clean and Jerk)

First time hearing him speak and he seems pretty sharp. Kid is ridiculously strong lol.

Advertisement
Better than Rousseau, Phillips & Roche?

Rousseau didn't play so it was really just Phillips and Roche. ... Bain and Mesidor are pretty **** good. Production wise, could be the same. And we're not letting a UNC happen this time around.

Rousseau didn't play so it was really just Phillips and Roche. ... Bain and Mesidor are pretty **** good. Production wise, could be the same. And we're not letting a UNC happen this time around.
Bain is the same caliber player as Phillips and Rousseau, has more upside than the latter, and unlike Phillips he can be just as affective at tackle as he his at end. Mesidor is better than Roche when healthy, he gets more pressure in pass coverage and is just as stout against the run.

Advertisement
First time hearing him speak and he seems pretty sharp. Kid is ridiculously strong lol.
Artavius B.I.G.

boss GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

425 Bench coming out of HS? Wtf
That's as a JR and having to "pause" for competitive lifting. I am almost certain his bench is in the 475 - 495 range by now.

*For those who have never competitive lifted, when you "pause" you bring the weight down to your chest and pause for a second stoping all momentum and then lifting it. A regular bench press the person is "bouncing" the weight off of his chest allowing the momentum to carry the weight. If he was to "bounce" the weight off of his chest he could easily add another 30 mounds to his max putting him around 455 as a JR in high school.

This kid is next level strong and with has crazy athleticism, I fully expect him to be the best DT in this class. He played 4 sports in high school and pretty much dominated at all of them.

1. Two way starter in football, played TE while being one of the top DT's in the nation
2. On his way to becoming a two time weightlifting state champion, making him one of if not the strongest high school kid in Florida
3. Starter on high school basketball team
4. Placed 4th in the state at discuss his first year every attempting the sport (This is directly linked to power and explosiveness)

Just watch the tape, the kid is running corner routs at 285 lol unreal. Looks a lot like Jalen Carter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know what I wrote is incredibly stereotypical but I’m speaking specifically about Indiana kids (which is still admittedly a very broad brush).

You are spot-on, no need to apologize. Some people fail to realize the powerful role of upbringing and social reinforcement in certain parts of the country, which is not based on race per se, but on how entire communities support the local schools and institutions.

While my family is from St. Louis, one of my uncles (by marriage) was from Indiana. Supporting IU and ND was almost religious in Indiana (and pretty much is with ND).

Not sure if you remember him, but Miami hoops had Joel Warren back in the late 80s. He was the captain of his high school's undefeated team and was a contender for Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Advertisement
Back