The Bank (4/3)

View as article
You're a pro at this Geta. Shouldn't the DTs have an advantage in shorts and shells? They typically overwhelm OLs on all the camp highlights I've seen. ... If you are telling me I'm overreacting, then I'll defer to your expertise, though.
I MEAN THEY DO ...BUT I DONT PUT ALOT OF THOUGHT ON IT ...UNTIL SAY ABOUT THIS WEEK AND ITS BEEN FULL TILT FOR AWHILE.

Then you will see who is who and whos progressing etc.

As u see with Hayes (my fav lb in the entire class) you wouldnt have heard buzz on him but like dmoney stated the pads are on and now u will see work.

I personally think one of the 2 freshmans dts incoming will take reps this year. Im not as worried at dt as i once was. barring spring injury i say we spend money on a transfer cb and rb.

You aint gonna drop a bag on justins cott types and bring them on slopwly...him and jones will hit the ground running ..size wise they are there.

Advertisement
You should rewatch the GT game again. Lost in how bad the offense was, is the performance of the defense on critical downs in the second half of the game.

The D up one scoring drive of over 25 yards before the post fumble nonsense? In GT last 3 drives, we held them to 3 starting at our 6, and 7 plays for 8 yards combined on the next 2 including interception in their end that setup our go-ahead FG.

GT was a top 40ish offense

Defense more than did its job…Obviously before the inexcusable Kinchens catastrophic blown assignment.

Last edited:
And on that note, if you like names like Elyiss Williams or want a big-time Portal CB, you can directly support the cause by joining Canes Connection, the official NIL Collective of Miami athletics.

Click the link below and pick a plan. When you enter promo code “CIS” in the blue link titled “Add promotion Code” (right under “Subtotal”) you get 20% off your first month Canes Connection subscription. More importantly, you get access to a regular, private Zoom call with me where I share information I can’t share publicly. This is in addition to the other member benefits Canes Connection provides.

https://www.canesconnection.com/membership
They gotta change that digital wallpaper with a decal

I don't know. When McIntosh, Norton, Willis, Nesta, LT camped, we heard buzz. When we were a top defense (Coker and prior), our DTs would regularly dominate practices. No buzz to me = no bueno. Hope you're right, think you're wrong.
There hasn’t been much said about the d-line overall so likely not that big of a deal

Advertisement
I MEAN THEY DO ...BUT I DONT PUT ALOT OF THOUGHT ON IT ...UNTIL SAY ABOUT THIS WEEK AND ITS BEEN FULL TILT FOR AWHILE.

As u see with Hayes (my fav lb in the entire class) you wouldnt have heard buzz on him but like dmoney stated the pads are on and now u will see work.

I personally think one of the 2 freshmans dts incoming will take reps this year. Im not as worried at dt as i once was. barring spring injury i say we spend money on a transfer cb and rb.

You aint gonna drop a bag on justins cott types and bring them on slopwly...him and jones will hit the ground running ..size wise they are there.
Facts Hayes was my favorite, we hadnt had a LB just look like him probably ever. Probably Armbrister but he was a jag

I don't see it that way. Every freshman DT we started going back to Forston disappointed. Again, Bains and Mauigoas are 2-3 a cycle per position group across all of P5. I don't think we should be counting on production from Scott and Jones even though I like them a lot.

Advertisement
Best way to avoid getting run over on defense? Friggin scoring on offense. If we’re slogging through more 17-14 barn burners against bum ACC teams, we need to really worry about DTs holding up. If we actually get leads we can force opponents to do something besides ramming it in the A-gap (yes, I know…pause) over and over. We finished 11th in the nation against the run last year. That’s including late season games where we had to literally switch to a 3 man front because we had no healthy defensive linemen. There’s probably 5 teams in college football with dominant defensive tackles. The reason the NFL puts such a premium on them is because they’re rare. Somehow teams manage to stop the run every week without NFL tackles.

There’s not going to be a game changing tackle in the portal. If we decide to sign one (that would give us what, 11 DTs?) he will likely be something similar to what we already have. Undersized, small school types and big bodies who have done nothing of note.

Best way to avoid getting run over on defense? Friggin scoring on offense. If we’re slogging through more 17-14 barn burners against bum ACC teams, we need to really worry about DTs holding up. If we actually get leads we can force opponents to do something besides ramming it in the A-gap (yes, I know…pause) over and over. We finished 11th in the nation against the run last year. That’s including late season games where we had to literally switch to a 3 man front because we had no healthy defensive linemen. There’s probably 5 teams in college football with dominant defensive tackles. The reason the NFL puts such a premium on them is because they’re rare. Somehow teams manage to stop the run every week without NFL tackles.

There’s not going to be a game changing tackle in the portal. If we decide to sign one (that would give us what, 11 DTs?) he will likely be something similar to what we already have. Undersized, small school types and big bodies who have done nothing of note.

There’s so many nuances to all this, but here’s another one to think about.

2023 Miami had a pretty good offensive line, correct? Not the best in America, but plenty serviceable. Good to very good, at worst.

We averaged 3.5 YPC against Georgia Tech. Didn’t ram it down their throats in the A-gaps much there, did we? And TVD was only sacked once, so it’s not like it skewed the rushing numbers. So I guess GT had really havoc wreaking DTs? How many NFL guys they got inside? Hmm.

Didn’t run a lick against NC State. Yeah, but who’d they have up front? Oh yeah, a kid who’s on our ******* team now.

4.3 YPC against UVA, while giving up zero sacks. They must have some monsters up front to shut our run game down.

Such a silly argument. We’re plenty good enough inside to beat all these Mickey Mouse teams.

There’s so many nuances to all this, but here’s another one to think about.

2023 Miami had a pretty good offensive line, correct? Not the best in America, but plenty serviceable. Good to very good, at worst.

We averaged 3.5 YPC against Georgia Tech. Didn’t ram it down their throats in the A-gaps much there, did we? And TVD was only sacked once, so it’s not like it skewed the rushing numbers. So I guess GT had really havoc wreaking DTs? How many NFL guys they got inside? Hmm.

Didn’t run a lick against NC State. Yeah, but who’d they have up front? Oh yeah, a kid who’s on our ******* team now.

4.3 YPC against UVA, while giving up zero sacks. They must have some monsters up front to shut our run game down.

Such a silly argument. We’re plenty good enough inside to beat all these Mickey Mouse teams.
We all had this same discussion last year. We were too small on the interior and teams would just run all over us. Rush defense was statistically the thing we did best as a team. Depth was an issue last year and injuries kind of killed us by the end of the year but there’s friggin 20 defensive linemen on the roster (maybe more? I didn’t actually count) right now. Unless we lose like 4 guys to the portal we shouldn’t be overly concerned with bringing in more “depth” pieces on the line.

Advertisement
Advertisement

LOL - USC and Caleb called they’d beg to differ::::: Nah…. That defense was like all time bad!

Advertisement
Back