The Bank (4/3)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Miami is big-game hunting this spring. Almost 50 of the Top 200 players in the nation will have come through Coral Gables before the summer recruiting period. Here is the latest on the team and recruiting:

- The Canes are in a strong position with Indiana TE Brock Schott. Like Elija Lofton, who is currently standing out on Greentree, Schott (6’3, 215) is one of the best overall football players in the nation. He caught 35 passes for 743 yards and six TDs while making 67 tackles, 32...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Great stuff @DMoney . Great to hear about Malik Bryant. It's comforting to hear that the staff loves the top three CBs(Porter, Richard and Brown) and a relief to hear that Stafford is developing. Still I have a hard time thinking that the staff is OK with the lack of depth at CB. Would be nice to land a kid like Ricardo Hallman or Charles Brantley(Just examples).

Has the plan changed regarding a portal RB?

Any names to watch for in the coming portal period?

Advertisement
Best Wishes Homer GIF by PEEKASSO

POUR ME UP A GLASS

Miami is big-game hunting this spring. Almost 50 of the Top 200 players in the nation will have come through Coral Gables before the summer recruiting period. Here is the latest on the team and recruiting:

- The Canes are in a strong position with Indiana TE Brock Schott. Like Elija Lofton, who is currently standing out on Greentree, Schott (6’3, 215) is one of the best overall football players in the nation. He caught 35 passes for 743 yards and six TDs while making 67 tackles, 32 tackles for loss and 19 sacks. He also plays basketball. Ohio State is in the competition, but Miami is quietly confident in this one after prioritizing Schott as a major priority talent.

- After the Girard Pringle commit, I expected Miami to go on a run of commits in some of their lower-profile recruitments. That may still happen, but the message I get from the Hecht is they are being very patient due to their traction with so many top-of-the-board targets.

- Miami continues to chip away with elite TE Elyiss Williams (Georgia commit). He is visiting again very soon.

- One name that Miami loves: Frankfort (KY) EDGE Javeon Campbell. He’s a 6’5, 250 converted basketball player that had 14.5 sacks in his first year of football and is blowing up. He has OVs set up to Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State, but the Canes will be getting him on campus soon.

- I mentioned DT Justus Terry (previously a Georgia commit, just flipped to USC) as a flip target for the Canes. They are still working that recruitment and will get an official visit in June.

- At WR, Miami continues to work hard on what they believe is a special crop of Florida receivers. WR Vernell Brown (Orlando) and WR Josh Moore (West Broward) are priority targets who will be on campus soon. Miami remains strongly involved with WR Dallas Wilson (Tampa), WR Jaime Ffrench (Jacksonville), WR Cortez Mills (Homestead) and WR Tyler Williams (Riverview).

- Contact has died down a bit with OL Seuseu Alofaituli (Las Vegas). Miami still likes him a lot but is working other interior OL on the board.

- This weekend went very well with Miami’s corner visitors: DJ Pickett (Zephyrhills), Adonys Currie (Los Angeles, CA), Aidan Anding (Ruston, LA) and Mark Manfred (Marietta, GA). The staff expects a big-time corner class, and continues to push for elite target Ben Hanks (Booker T).

- DE Iose Epenesa (Chicago) is another top-of–the-board talent that had an outstanding visit.

- After securing a commitment from Pringle, Miami is being patient at RB due to some uncertainty around injuries and the incoming Portal. There are a lot of targets with interest and the staff isn’t going to be hasty in with the second RB.

- On the team side, one of the most improved players this spring is EDGE Malik Bryant. He was up and down as a freshman, but is really coming on in the JACK (standup DE) position he played in high school. He’s had the opportunity for increased reps and really responded. The two newcomer EDGEs (Marquise Lightfoot and Cole McConathy) both appear as advertised and, according to sources, were thrown in with the first team yesterday. They will take some time and development to break into the full healthy rotation, but they are talented.

- LB Adarius Hayes isn’t in his element running around in helmets and shorts, but he has showcased his blue-chip game since the pads came on. He’s a natural thumper with elite size and solid instincts.

- Some other players who have made strides throughout spring: CB Robert Stafford, C Zach Carpenter, OT Markel Bell and OT Tommy Kinsler.

- As previously reported, Miami likes its three top corners and some young talent like Stafford. They’re not desperate for a starting corner, but if an elite talent comes along, they will pursue (despite the price tag) just because of the importance of man coverage to this scheme.

Great stuff as usual!! You are appreciated though I’m going to check if you’re swiping my portal insight.:.. LOL I said exactly the same thing a few days ago and members were arguing. That they felt really good about the top 3 CBS and still value Freeney.

Advertisement
Great stuff @DMoney . Great to hear about Malik Bryant. It's comforting to hear that the staff loves the top three CBs(Porter, Richard and Brown) and a relief to hear that Stafford is developing. Still I have a hard time thinking that the staff is OK with the lack of depth at CB. Would be nice to land a kid like Ricardo Hallman or Charles Brantley(Just examples).

Has the plan changed regarding a portal RB?

Any names to watch for in the coming portal period?
I was saying the same thing, Miami likes what we have at CB but we are scary thin. We definitely need another body or two. An elite CB would be awesome, I just don’t see that many options being available. That’s why it didn’t make sense not to take Atione Jackson in my opinion. As a 17 year old who actually played well in decent snaps at ECU. He was begging to come back here, and would have been a young depth piece that could develop. It shouldn’t have stopped them from keeping eyes open if a starting CB wanted on board.

Advertisement
@DMoney

Canes TE play has been talked about ad nauseum on here (lack of targets, just using McCormick for blocking), but does the continued recruiting of playmaking, receiving TEs (Williams, Lofton, 2025 guys) suggest the recent on field results are an anomaly philosophically?
Dawson has not historically thrown a lot to his tight ends, so that has to be acknowledged.

But I think last year’s lack of production was a function of Arroyo’s injury and Williams’s youth.

@DMoney

On 'Inside the U', Lake said this passing attack will be more 'Air Raid-y'. Is that something you're seeing/hearing as well?

If so, that's very very very promising.
That sounds great until we go up 7-0 in the swamp and Mario’s interior Caveman comes out. Control the clock and physicality us to victory in a thrilling 13-10 defeat

What about the other WR that just decommitted from taint?
I think you're referring to WR Jayvan Boggs from Cocoa. I believe @DMoney said that we were recruiting him. I don't know how high he is on the staff's board though. I'm pretty sure they like Mills, Moore, Wilson, Williams and Brown more.

Advertisement
Some guys on here were counting Bryant as in their transfer list as if he was already written off. Made no sense.

I love Guidry and am happy with Jackson so far but really don’t understand this lack of urgency on adding starters at both CB and S. Maybe we happened to land the two best DBs from Vandy ever but my brain tells me the fact they’re both starting is all I need to know about the quality of our DBs. Mike Williams was a starter transfer from a similar powerhouse program.

Not enough buzz about our DTs. Not surprised. When the young guys come in they’re going to be all the rage. But it will be because of the lack of talent we have with the existing guys as much as anything they’ll do.

- The Canes are in a strong position with Indiana TE Brock Schott. Like Elija Lofton, who is currently standing out on Greentree, Schott (6’3, 215) is one of the best overall football players in the nation. He caught 35 passes for 743 yards and six TDs while making 67 tackles, 32 tackles for loss and 19 sacks. He also plays basketball. Ohio State is in the competition, but Miami is quietly confident in this one after prioritizing Schott as a major priority talent.

- After the Girard Pringle commit, I expected Miami to go on a run of commits in some of their lower-profile recruitments. That may still happen, but the message I get from the Hecht is they are being very patient due to their traction with so many top-of-the-board targets.

- Miami continues to chip away with elite TE Elyiss Williams (Georgia commit). He is visiting again very soon.

- One name that Miami loves: Frankfort (KY) EDGE Javeon Campbell. He’s a 6’5, 250 converted basketball player that had 14.5 sacks in his first year of football and is blowing up. He has OVs set up to Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State, but the Canes will be getting him on campus soon.

- I mentioned DT Justus Terry (previously a Georgia commit, just flipped to USC) as a flip target for the Canes. They are still working that recruitment and will get an official visit in June.

- At WR, Miami continues to work hard on what they believe is a special crop of Florida receivers. WR Vernell Brown (Orlando) and WR Josh Moore (West Broward) are priority targets who will be on campus soon. Miami remains strongly involved with WR Dallas Wilson (Tampa), WR Jaime Ffrench (Jacksonville), WR Cortez Mills (Homestead) and WR Tyler Williams (Riverview).

- Contact has died down a bit with OL Seuseu Alofaituli (Las Vegas). Miami still likes him a lot but is working other interior OL on the board.

- This weekend went very well with Miami’s corner visitors: DJ Pickett (Zephyrhills), Adonys Currie (Los Angeles, CA), Aidan Anding (Ruston, LA) and Mark Manfred (Marietta, GA). The staff expects a big-time corner class, and continues to push for elite target Ben Hanks (Booker T).

- DE Iose Epenesa (Chicago) is another top-of–the-board talent that had an outstanding visit.

- After securing a commitment from Pringle, Miami is being patient at RB due to some uncertainty around injuries and the incoming Portal. There are a lot of targets with interest and the staff isn’t going to be hasty in with the second RB.

- On the team side, one of the most improved players this spring is EDGE Malik Bryant. He was up and down as a freshman, but is really coming on in the JACK (standup DE) position he played in high school. He’s had the opportunity for increased reps and really responded. The two newcomer EDGEs (Marquise Lightfoot and Cole McConathy) both appear as advertised and, according to sources, were thrown in with the first team yesterday. They will take some time and development to break into the full healthy rotation, but they are talented.

- LB Adarius Hayes isn’t in his element running around in helmets and shorts, but he has showcased his blue-chip game since the pads came on. He’s a natural thumper with elite size and solid instincts.

- Some other players who have made strides throughout spring: CB Robert Stafford, C Zach Carpenter, OT Markel Bell and OT Tommy Kinsler.

- As previously reported, Miami likes its three top corners and some young talent like Stafford. They’re not desperate for a starting corner, but if an elite talent comes along, they will pursue (despite the price tag) just because of the importance of man coverage to this scheme.

Love seeing it when you are working banker's hours...

Advertisement
Back