The Athletic Recruiting: Elite ’23 prospects discuss NIL deals, photo shoots, best visits

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
Can't post the article b/c it is behind a paywall, but some interesting tidbits and suggest reading if you have a sub. They interviewed several players and gave them anonymity; I posted a few q's and answers below:

All-America recruiting confidential: Elite ’23 prospects discuss NIL deals, photo shoots, best visits

What was the largest amount of NIL money discussed with you by a coach or NIL representative?
Player 13: The biggest amount of money was $3 million over four years. You want to get paid for your results. It played a factor, but not as big as some people think.
Pretty interesting seeing the disparity in some of the amounts they claimed they were offered

Where did NIL rank in your decision-making process: first, second or third? And if it didn’t finish first, what other factors were more important?
Player 4: It was third. To me, relationships and a school that was going to develop me were the first two. Then a scheme that fits me best.
Not sure if they just didnt want to admit it, but every single response said that NIL was 2nd or lower with most at 3rd

Which school or coach you didn’t sign with recruited you the hardest, and why didn’t you sign with them?
Player 10: (Miami’s) coach (Mario) Cristobal recruited me the hardest outside of the school I signed with. Why didn’t I sign? Because the school I’m going to has more for me in my college experience.
Let the debate about who this is and 'college experience' begin

What advice would you give to 2024 recruits from lessons you learned throughout the process?
Player 12: Don’t get caught up in the glitz and glamor. Find a home. Find people you want to play for and take care of you. There were times I was texting with my coach, and then all of a sudden I got a DM from him on Twitter. I’m like, who am I talking to? This his secretary or something?

There is lots of other interesting tidbits and I am sure some people who follow recruiting closer than me can take some guesses as to who these players are.

Advertisement
All fifteen guys ranked academics and player development ahead of NIL.

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Advertisement
My original thought was Baxter......but I'll go with Olaus Alinen.
This was another quote from from 'Player 10' that was in response to "Best hotel, city and restaurant from your trips?" - not sure if it would change your guess:

Player 10: Miami. The other places were college towns. Embassy Suites at Alabama was nice. The best restaurant was in Oregon. We ate in the middle of the stadium and had it catered.

Advertisement
This was another quote from from 'Player 10' that was in response to "Best hotel, city and restaurant from your trips?" - not sure if it would change your guess:

Player 10: Miami. The other places were college towns. Embassy Suites at Alabama was nice. The best restaurant was in Oregon. We ate in the middle of the stadium and had it catered.

No, because i don't recall Inniss or Baxter visiting Oregon, but Alinen definitely did. I could be wrong though.

Advertisement
Can't post the article b/c it is behind a paywall, but some interesting tidbits and suggest reading if you have a sub. They interviewed several players and gave them anonymity; I posted a few q's and answers below:

All-America recruiting confidential: Elite ’23 prospects discuss NIL deals, photo shoots, best visits

What was the largest amount of NIL money discussed with you by a coach or NIL representative?
Player 13: The biggest amount of money was $3 million over four years. You want to get paid for your results. It played a factor, but not as big as some people think.
Pretty interesting seeing the disparity in some of the amounts they claimed they were offered

Where did NIL rank in your decision-making process: first, second or third? And if it didn’t finish first, what other factors were more important?
Player 4: It was third. To me, relationships and a school that was going to develop me were the first two. Then a scheme that fits me best.
Not sure if they just didnt want to admit it, but every single response said that NIL was 2nd or lower with most at 3rd

Which school or coach you didn’t sign with recruited you the hardest, and why didn’t you sign with them?
Player 10: (Miami’s) coach (Mario) Cristobal recruited me the hardest outside of the school I signed with. Why didn’t I sign? Because the school I’m going to has more for me in my college experience.

What advice would you give to 2024 recruits from lessons you learned throughout the process?
Player 12: Don’t get caught up in the glitz and glamor. Find a home. Find people you want to play for and take care of you. There were times I was texting with my coach, and then all of a sudden I got a DM from him on Twitter. I’m like, who am I talking to? This his secretary or something?

There is lots of other interesting tidbits and I am sure some people who follow recruiting closer than me can take some guesses as to who these players are.

These kids are BSing it’s easy to get money then claim it’s not a big factor. No way every single kid that signed with Alabama and got paid wanted to go there.

Show this to gator fans. They live by nil being sole reason we recruited so well

These kids are BSing it’s easy to get money then claim it’s not a big factor. No way every single kid that signed with Alabama and got paid wanted to go there.
I don't disagree that - at the least - they are downplaying it, but if it is 'easy to get money' then that could be a reason for turning down NIL as part of the recruitment process b/c they believe they will get it later after they prove themselves. And we know from our recruitment of Innis that some of these kids legitimately look at the long run by picking the team that they believe will prepare them best of the NFL.

Advertisement
Most interesting comments to hear were about the portal. They're acknowledging that part of their decision process is that a coach they spurned will welcome them later via the portal
For sure and you know that the coaches know that too. I know us fans tend to take it as a personal slight when a player chooses another school, but I am willing to bet that most coaches don't hold a grudge as long as the kid was respectful during the process.

so 98% of these kids grew up poor, with minimal education to support them, in challenging circumstances ..... yet NIL $ was THIRD on their list??

I call that "bovine excrement" to the nth degree.

Kid said the Embassy Suites in Alabama was nice I’m dead 😂😂😂

Advertisement
Back