The Athletic article on the top jobs in CFB

NateDogg

The Swift Chancellor
I wont list team captions. There were some interesting quotes.

Here is how they introduced the list:

"We could tell you our opinions, but we figured it might be wiser to actually ask the people who hope to someday hold these jobs. So we (Max Olson, Bruce Feldman, Ari Wasserman and Andy Staples) polled more than 100 people working in college football — athletic directors, head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting coordinators, analysts and staffers — to get their take on this question.

It’s a loaded question, and these voters all had to weigh a wide variety of factors and personal preferences in coming up with their lists. “Guess it depends on what ‘best job’ means,” one Big Ten staffer pointed out. “Ability to win a national championship? Pay? Job security? Lifestyle?” But the list of considerations doesn’t stop there: recruiting region and history, administrative buy-in and alignment, fan support, academics, facilities, budgets, conference affiliation, past glory, present-day dominance … you can go in all sorts of directions with this one. And our voters did.

Considering all the changes that have already occurred in 2021 and are still to come, it’s clear the landscape is likely to change again in a few years, perhaps dramatically. But here’s how these college football insiders see it today. Voters were asked to list their top five jobs in order of preference. Nine different schools received first-place votes, but the voting for the No. 1 spot was not close."

--

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Georgia
4. Texas
5. LSU
6. USC (barely behind LSU in votes)
7. Clemson
8. Oklahoma
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida
11. Michigan
12. Texas A&M

Also receiving votes: Miami (Fla.) (11 points); Oregon (10 points); Florida State (9 points); Penn State (5 points); North Carolina (2 points); Northwestern (1 point)

--

Miami received 2 thirds, 2 fourths, and a fifth place vote. Based on the voting UM comes in at #13...which when considering the last 15 years, is pretty remarkable. Maybe the same can be said for where USC finished on the list.

My thoughts: As bad as it's been, this shows that relative to the "blue bloods" UM is still a desirable job. Certainly nowhere near as desirable as it once was, but if one thing's for sure college FB has gone through several cycles over the last 100 or so years. The point about UM's administration not truly caring about winning has been made ad nauseum, and I believe that to be true 100%. Right now as a fan I feel hopeless. But how many of these schools' fanbases have felt hopeless over the last 30-40 years? Better yet, how many former "blue bloods" (Nebraska anyone?) didn't receive a single vote?

I think it's been more or less confirmed that the issues at UM start at the top...but...BUT...if/when a shift in power occurs, would it really take THAT much for UM to be a consistently feared program with the ability to compete for a NC? Sadly that won't happen overnight, but based on UM's location, alumni, pedigree, and history, there should be a pulse for the foreseeable future that allows a real AD/HC combination to come in and make it happen.

Advertisement
Miami will always be a desirable job. The recruiting base alone is what makes the job. Plus Miami is probably the one job that is a true stepping stone to the NFL.

This isn’t Nebraska or Tennessee. Those schools don’t have the built in pluses Miami has. They just have money. Hopefully Miami hires a good coach next go around. That’s literally the only missing piece here.

Interesting list, but don't read it as gospel. No mention of Wisconsin, Tennessee & Auburn . . . slight mention of Penn State, but a mention of Northwestern. Really?

Advertisement
I posted this earlier. The biggest thing is resources. All the top jobs are completely committed to football and have committed the resources to support football.

Anybody wanna go fishing ?

ggulbest_00-09.gif

I wont list team captions. There were some interesting quotes.

Here is how they introduced the list:

"We could tell you our opinions, but we figured it might be wiser to actually ask the people who hope to someday hold these jobs. So we (Max Olson, Bruce Feldman, Ari Wasserman and Andy Staples) polled more than 100 people working in college football — athletic directors, head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting coordinators, analysts and staffers — to get their take on this question.

It’s a loaded question, and these voters all had to weigh a wide variety of factors and personal preferences in coming up with their lists. “Guess it depends on what ‘best job’ means,” one Big Ten staffer pointed out. “Ability to win a national championship? Pay? Job security? Lifestyle?” But the list of considerations doesn’t stop there: recruiting region and history, administrative buy-in and alignment, fan support, academics, facilities, budgets, conference affiliation, past glory, present-day dominance … you can go in all sorts of directions with this one. And our voters did.

Considering all the changes that have already occurred in 2021 and are still to come, it’s clear the landscape is likely to change again in a few years, perhaps dramatically. But here’s how these college football insiders see it today. Voters were asked to list their top five jobs in order of preference. Nine different schools received first-place votes, but the voting for the No. 1 spot was not close."

--

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Georgia
4. Texas
5. LSU
6. USC (barely behind LSU in votes)
7. Clemson
8. Oklahoma
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida
11. Michigan
12. Texas A&M

Also receiving votes: Miami (Fla.) (11 points); Oregon (10 points); Florida State (9 points); Penn State (5 points); North Carolina (2 points); Northwestern (1 point)

--

Miami received 2 thirds, 2 fourths, and a fifth place vote. Based on the voting UM comes in at #13...which when considering the last 15 years, is pretty remarkable. Maybe the same can be said for where USC finished on the list.

My thoughts: As bad as it's been, this shows that relative to the "blue bloods" UM is still a desirable job. Certainly nowhere near as desirable as it once was, but if one thing's for sure college FB has gone through several cycles over the last 100 or so years. The point about UM's administration not truly caring about winning has been made ad nauseum, and I believe that to be true 100%. Right now as a fan I feel hopeless. But how many of these schools' fanbases have felt hopeless over the last 30-40 years? Better yet, how many former "blue bloods" (Nebraska anyone?) didn't receive a single vote?

I think it's been more or less confirmed that the issues at UM start at the top...but...BUT...if/when a shift in power occurs, would it really take THAT much for UM to be a consistently feared program with the ability to compete for a NC? Sadly that won't happen overnight, but based on UM's location, alumni, pedigree, and history, there should be a pulse for the foreseeable future that allows a real AD/HC combination to come in and make it happen.
I must say i was stunned to see Miami, even be mentioned. when you say start at top i am thinking President( Frenk is MIA, in every leadership role period) new blood on BOT and new AD and assistant AD..... interesting comment on Clemson that the institution (school) is fanatical in their support..... not sure after 15+ years of Donna that's true at UM.
UM fans want to see a program grow and be ready to compete at all levels when Butch ws rebuilding we knew it would get better
now with BOT/President/AD Dept. really unsure how long it might take......

Advertisement
A
Miami will always be a desirable job. The recruiting base alone is what makes the job. Plus Miami is probably the one job that is a true stepping stone to the NFL.

This isn’t Nebraska or Tennessee. Those schools don’t have the built in pluses Miami has. They just have money. Hopefully Miami hires a good coach next go around. That’s literally the only missing piece here.
AD as well,...... doubt Blake has the courage to hire an Alpha dog coach.....

Interesting list, but don't read it as gospel. No mention of Wisconsin, Tennessee & Auburn . . . slight mention of Penn State, but a mention of Northwestern. Really?
Yes that definitely gave me pause

Advertisement
I must say i was stunned to see Miami, even be mentioned. when you say start at top i am thinking President( Frenk is MIA, in every leadership role period) new blood on BOT and new AD and assistant AD..... interesting comment on Clemson that the institution (school) is fanatical in their support..... not sure after 15+ years of Donna that's true at UM.
UM fans want to see a program grow and be ready to compete at all levels when Butch ws rebuilding we knew it would get better
now with BOT/President/AD Dept. really unsure how long it might take......
Who cares about the Asst AD?

Miami is a blue blood. You won’t get your FSU or Ohio State buddies to admit it, cause they’re haters. But to the vast majority of programs, aka the ones who have never won a national championship or haven’t since the advent of the forward pass, Miami is a blue blood program. We still get everyone’s attention. A win vs Miami still gets people really excited.

Advertisement
I agree....they are a big program...but in some ways they are semi delusional...kind of how they are at the gator...but the gator are worse.

You guys aren’t looking at it correctly. It’s not a ranking of fanbases or recent success. It’s all the aspects of a job. Like it or not, UGA has essentially unlimited resources and money, a passionate fanbase, a very fertile recruiting area, a marquee program in the best conference (and they even play in the easier division aka easier path to the playoffs/natty), brand recognition etc. Just because they haven’t won a championship since 1980 doesn’t make it less of a job. Head Coach at UGA is an incredibly desirable position.

You guys aren’t looking at it correctly. It’s not a ranking of fanbases or recent success. It’s all the aspects of a job. Like it or not, UGA has essentially unlimited resources and money, a passionate fanbase, a very fertile recruiting area, a marquee program in the best conference (and they even play in the easier division aka easier path to the playoffs/natty), brand recognition etc. Just because they haven’t won a championship since 1980 doesn’t make it less of a job. Head Coach at UGA is an incredibly desirable position.
Thats the thing..they have all the advantages including a bag game...but don't do **** with it...their fans are kind of delusional in thinking all those advantages means easy Nattys...they produce some really good players..but as a team they're basically the SEC version of Clemsoning.....when Clemson was known for it....obviously not recent times.

Advertisement
Back