The Alliance votes down CFP expansion…

Advertisement
I think this is a good thing for us?

The ACC is wide open. Clemson is elite, but maybe on the downslide. We'll see. But, at best, we only have to go through one elite team to reach the CFB playoff.

Now imagine the perception hit teams like Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn (already happening), Florida, etc. are gonna take if they don't make it to the playoffs in the next 5-10 years. Croots will look at them like a tier 2 team, whereas if we get our **** straight and start competing for ACC championships (which puts us in striking distance of the CFB playoff), croots will start associating us with the Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia's of the world.

If we were in the SEC or Big10 I'd be ****ed, but we're not. This hurts other big-time programs, which should help us croot better than them.

Last edited:
The Alliance is just buying time until our battle station is fully operational.

death star GIF by Star Wars

Advertisement
They havent figured out how this would benefit the SEC as a whole yet, once they do they will expand

Go with 8 playoff teams
The Champions of the P5 Conferences automatically qualify
No conference is allowed more than 2 representatives.
I believe you could get a yes vote from every conference except the $EC.

You have 6 major Bowls
4 would host the first round of the playoffs
2 would host the semifinals

Last edited:
Advertisement
Go with 8 playoff teams

You have 6 major Bowls
Go back and look at the top 8 each year since the CFP was implemented and tell me why that would make sense.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think I read, sometime last year, that if the playoff were expanded before the ESPN contract was up, then the expanded playoff would somehow automatically stay with ESPN. In my mind, it would be worth the wait to pry the playoff from ESPN's dirty hands. However, it's possible I misunderstood what I read or that my memory is inaccurate. Maybe someone here can support or rebut this.

Last edited:
Go with 8 playoff teams

You have 6 major Bowls
The alliance voted it down because it slanted things even further to SEC. They would take half the field with SEC SEC SEC bias and not scheduling any tough out of conference games. Particularly on the road. You would see a 3 loss Texas A&M getting selected over 1 loss teams from other conferences even if they beat nobody in the top 10.

At 8 teams (just the way you proposed) it levels out the field and is fair to everyone... which is why SEC wont accept that.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think I read, sometime last year, that if the playoff were expanded before the ESPN contract was up, then the expanded playoff would somehow automatically stay with ESPN. In my mind, it would be worth the wait in order to pry the playoff from ESPN's dirty hands. However, it's possible I misunderstood what I read or that my memory is inaccurate. Maybe someone here can support or rebut this.

No that's exactly right. If the Playoff is expanded before 2026 - ESPN has exclusivity rights. You can see how it benefits them to increase the number of games so they can hold all the rights.

But if the current deal expires, then other networks such as FOX can bid for the rights. That makes things more interesting.

Advertisement
Good on the other conferences for turning this down. This was a obvious money play by the SEC and Disney to both increase the number of SEC teams in the playoffs and to own the rights to make more money.

Wait it out and see what happens.
It would be more money for everyone, including the three conferences that voted it down. They’re spiting themselves just so they can spite others…

One likely (and unfortunate) effect of expansion would be more SEC teams in the playoffs and more money to that conference. The mirage is that expansion would level the playing field.
Automatic qualifiers would mitigate that. It wouldn’t really level the field, aka more parity, but it would allow broader participation from more conferences.

Advertisement
I'm more interested in seeing how the negotiations go for post-2025. This is just kicking the can down the road for 2 years.

The next agreement will truly tell the future of college football. If the ACC acquiesces and they go to 12 teams, I see the ACC slowly diminishing as ND will no longer need to join for football so the ACC will not be able to negotiate big TV deals like the SEC and Big 10 which has separated them from the rest of college football. It will also amplify the SEC's already strong hold on the sport as I think you will see it common to have 4-5 SEC teams in the playoff each year.

IMO, 8 team playoff is the way to go. 5 P5 conference winners, best Group of 5 conference winner, and 2 at-large teams. No BYES - make sure every team needs to win the same number of games to win the championship.

Automatic qualifiers would mitigate that. It wouldn’t really level the field, aka more parity, but it would allow broader participation from more conferences.
And that's what the SEC won't agree to A big part of the issue was the lack of agreement on the automatic qualifiers

Advertisement
Back