The Alliance votes down CFP expansion…

Good for the Alliance. The proposed expansion plan was something in the best interests of the SEC, Notre Dame and the non-P5 conferences (including the Big 12). There was nothing about the proposal that benefited the ACC, Big Ten or Pac 12, and those that developed and proposed it should have known that in advance when they put it together without any representation from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12.

Advertisement
And that's what the SEC won't agree to A big part of the issue was the lack of agreement on the automatic qualifiers
Wrong. The existing proposal that the SEC developed included 6 automatic qualifiers to the 6 highest ranked conference champions.

Good for the Alliance. The proposed expansion plan was something in the best interests of the SEC, Notre Dame and the non-P5 conferences (including the Big 12). There was nothing about the proposal that benefited the ACC, Big Ten or Pac 12, and those that developed and proposed it should have known that in advance when they put it together without any representation from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12.
Having said that, the ACC missed an opportunity to use their vote as leverage with ESPN and/or ND. Knowing that ESPN wanted this expansion more than anybody, the ACC should have offered to support expansion now in return for renegotiation of their TV deal.

One likely (and unfortunate) effect of expansion would be more SEC teams in the playoffs and more money to that conference. The mirage is that expansion would level the playing field.

Let’s be real, besides bama and uga, who else from sec would be there? Gators? Lol

Advertisement
Terrible, short sighted decision. The opting out of players in meaningless bowl games is just going to keep going up - dramatic change is needed to head that off at the pass.

I'm more interested in seeing how the negotiations go for post-2025. This is just kicking the can down the road for 2 years.

The next agreement will truly tell the future of college football. If the ACC acquiesces and they go to 12 teams, I see the ACC slowly diminishing as ND will no longer need to join for football so the ACC will not be able to negotiate big TV deals like the SEC and Big 10 which has separated them from the rest of college football. It will also amplify the SEC's already strong hold on the sport as I think you will see it common to have 4-5 SEC teams in the playoff each year.

IMO, 8 team playoff is the way to go. 5 P5 conference winners, best Group of 5 conference winner, and 2 at-large teams. No BYES - make sure every team needs to win the same number of games to win the championship.
The Alliance or acc has no power in 2025. Once the contract is up, only a simple majority is needed for changes. Also, the acc will still be third in the conference hierarchy, adding ND wouldn’t be that significant, especially since they are on their way down IMO

Declining viewers, sure, stick to the old formula.

Bunch of dinosaurs.
Espn wants the expansion I’m sure because of what you just said, but they don’t get a vote. CFP already has their terms locked in so viewership could be zero and ESPN would still owe them what’s in the contract. Bottom line is that expansion means more money for everyone, not all the same amount but more money than they are making currently

Advertisement
Expanding the playoffs guarantees that the 3rd & 4th place runner up teams in the SEC West/East make it in...

And it guarantees a spot for Notre Lame every single year.

Yall think going to an 8 team playoff would make it easier for Miami & I’m telling yall it wouldn’t.

8 team playoff = 4 team SEC invitational + Notre Dame.

No one has gotten egregiously snubbed to the point where it would justify needing to expand, the committee has gotten the right 4 almost every single year except for 2018 when they put ND in over OH ST, but otherwise they’ve gotten it right.

Miami’s best chance to make the playoffs is to win the ACC as a 1-loss team (obviously if we go undefeated we’d get in for sure but that’s completely unrealistic), but our conference pathway & criteria is set, win the ACC & we’re in.

It’s the same for the Pac-12 & the Big XII, if they win their conference undefeated or as a 1 loss team at worst they’re in, the only conference that can be a 2-loss team & still get in is the SEC unfortunately.

Good, the SEC was just trying to pull strings to get 4-6 teams in every year which would suck and be boring

When USC and Miami are back the playoff should be

1 SEC
1 ACC
1 Big Ten
1 PAC -12/Notre Dame/Top non P5

For those saying an 8-team playoff, u r absolutely right. I’ve been beating this drum for a while. Like @Liberty City El said in the other thread, what add’l 4-8 teams deserved to be in the CFP? I can make an argument to expand to an add’l 4 teams, but 8? Nah; **** the two of the four didn’t look like they belong. Lol.

Personally, I would cut the season by 1 game. Have: 1 FCS, 1 G5 opponent, , 1 OOC, 8 in conference, conference championship. Incorporate 2 of the tier 1 bowls (Alamo & Citrus as ex.) for the Quarter Final Games, rotate the NY6 bowls for the Semi Final Games & the Nat’l Championship. The 3 NY6 bowl games that’s not in rotation will be used for conference tie ins who didn’t qualify for CFP.

P5 conference champions should “normally” automatically get in; the only exception I would have is if they are a conference champion, but are ranked outside the top 12. The 3 at large should be ranked in the top 10, despite FBS affiliation. Jmo. Also, The Bowl Committee should really look into ways to incentivize teams to play in other bowl games, particularly for the players.

Advertisement
I think this is a good thing for us?

The ACC is wide open. Clemson is elite, but maybe on the downslide. We'll see. But, at best, we only have to go through one elite team to reach the CFB playoff.

Now imagine the perception hit teams like Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn (already happening), Florida, etc. are gonna take if they don't make it to the playoffs in the next 5-10 years. Croots will look at them like a tier 2 team, whereas if we get our **** straight and start competing for ACC championships (which puts us in striking distance of the CFB playoff), croots will start associating us with the Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia's of the world.

If we were in the SEC or Big10 I'd be ****ed, but we're not. This hurts other big-time programs, which should help us croot better than them.
Exactly. I’d rather go back to the BCS than see an expanded playoff.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think I read, sometime last year, that if the playoff were expanded before the ESPN contract was up, then the expanded playoff would somehow automatically stay with ESPN. In my mind, it would be worth the wait to pry the playoff from ESPN's dirty hands. However, it's possible I misunderstood what I read or that my memory is inaccurate. Maybe someone here can support or rebut this.
Yes this and it’s the only real bargaining chip we have to maybe ESPN re work are TV deal. The ACC tv deal will kill the conference and give us a unfair advantage unless something can be done. Having the ACC agree to anything without the TV deal being touched is bad for us.

This post season feels broken.
8 teams is not adding value from a spectator perspective. There has not and will not be parity to the point where a no. 4 will play no. 7 is the nat championship game.
Cfb is not designed to be that way.
I also can’t wait to see the day that the no 1 draft eligible player is in a playoff game, and they sit anyway. Despite their so called “chance to play for a ‘ship”.
I love the regular season. It’s awesome. And the post season is the most flaccid conclusion to a night out ever.
The bowls are broken. The players know it, many of the fans know it.

Advertisement
The Alliance or acc has no power in 2025. Once the contract is up, only a simple majority is needed for changes. Also, the acc will still be third in the conference hierarchy, adding ND wouldn’t be that significant, especially since they are on their way down IMO
I'm not sure why you think the Alliance would have no power in 2025, even with a simple majority needed for changes. Now, if the Big 10 drops out, yes, I would agree with you, but 3 of the top 4 conferences would offset the sway of the SEC and some of the Group of 5 are already against the proposed playoff as well.

I agree that the ACC would be 3rd in the revenue hierarchy even with ND brought into play. However, with ND, the ACC will at least be able to negotiate a deal near the SEC and Big 10. Without ND, the ACC will fall further and further away as far as revenues are concerned. Even if ND isn't a top 10 contender going forward, they are a national brand and bring in TV viewers. I hate that school as much as everybody else, but they have had their own TV deal for 30 years now, even through the Bob Davie and Ty Willingham years. So, not sure how you don't think ND would add much, but everyone has an opinion.

At the end of the day, I'm just giving my opinion as to how to strengthen the ACC's position (and therefore Miami's) as much as possible. If you just blindly allow the proposed playoff to pass, I think it would lead toward the further reduction of the ACC's power and revenue, which has already been on a steady downturn over the past couple of years.

I'm not sure why you think the Alliance would have no power in 2025, even with a simple majority needed for changes. Now, if the Big 10 drops out, yes, I would agree with you, but 3 of the top 4 conferences would offset the sway of the SEC and some of the Group of 5 are already against the proposed playoff as well.

I agree that the ACC would be 3rd in the revenue hierarchy even with ND brought into play. However, with ND, the ACC will at least be able to negotiate a deal near the SEC and Big 10. Without ND, the ACC will fall further and further away as far as revenues are concerned. Even if ND isn't a top 10 contender going forward, they are a national brand and bring in TV viewers. I hate that school as much as everybody else, but they have had their own TV deal for 30 years now, even through the Bob Davie and Ty Willingham years. So, not sure how you don't think ND would add much, but everyone has an opinion.

At the end of the day, I'm just giving my opinion as to how to strengthen the ACC's position (and therefore Miami's) as much as possible. If you just blindly allow the proposed playoff to pass, I think it would lead toward the further reduction of the ACC's power and revenue, which has already been on a steady downturn over the past couple of years.
Good point. Unfortunately, I have zero faith the idiots running the ACC would be able to close on ND.

Acc, big ten and pac 12 vote against CFP expansion and as a result, the playoff will remain at 4 teams through 2025. Well, the important thing is the rose bowl will remain on Jan 1, so we can all breathe a sigh of relief
CUCKs all of them expend it to 8

The vote was 8-3 in favor of expansion, but it has to be unanimous to change things mid contract So it is almost certainly passing in a few years. So the acc big 10 and pac12 are the only ones against it. Not sure why you think anyone is blindly approving anything when it’s been debated for years. Acc revenue would absolutely 100% not be reduced if the playoff expanded, it would increase substantially. And it’s ironic that you trust the acc’s judgement in this situation when it’s that same judgement that has caused our steadily decreasing power.
And ND’s contract is only for $15m a year. That’s nothing special today. If we were simply a better conference, and not rely solely on Clemson for national prominence, we would have more bargaining power

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back