The 5-7 Excuse

The more Miami wins, the more the suck tax reduces, and the better the class will be (mostly for next year but for this year as well). If Mario ***** the bed again.....well I don't really want to think about that.

Generally a down year isn't THAT big of a deal but Miami has sucked for a long time now and last year was probably the worst team in the school's history so I actually do think it's having a big impact....definitely more than for other teams who weren't good last year but have had at least some recent success.

Advertisement
Why is it that some members on this board are saying last years 5-7 record is effecting this years 2024 recruiting class?

Did 5-7 effect last years class? Our #7 ranked 2023 recruiting class was being built at the same time that our Canes football team was yielding a 5-7 season.

This question is about 5-7 effecting the 2024 recruiting class. Please keep NIL money out of this discussion, because insiders have already said money isn't an issue.

Signed,

Peruche

View attachment 249693
a6a9d2275ac7f94da68d8c55d34c9646e32c69ab83c4ddfcc4c577fd76877222_1.jpg

Why is it that some members on this board are saying last years 5-7 record is effecting this years 2024 recruiting class?

Did 5-7 effect last years class? Our #7 ranked 2023 recruiting class was being built at the same time that our Canes football team was yielding a 5-7 season.

This question is about 5-7 effecting the 2024 recruiting class. Please keep NIL money out of this discussion, because insiders have already said money isn't an issue.

Signed,

Peruche

View attachment 249693
5-7 absolutely did effect last years class. It could have been even better than it was. Mario can realistically only sell “It’s my first year here, we’re changing everything and you’re necessary to get us back to championships” once. You can’t sell it a second year in a row. Especially when you **** the bed as badly as we did.

Also, I don’t fully agree with the whole money isn’t the issue. It may be fine and we may have as much or maybe a little bit more than last year but not willing to spend it is an issue. Also, yesterday’s price is not today’s price.

I’m also willing to be patient and wait and see how this plays out. It is absolutely necessary to have back to back great classes.

Bro did you pay attention to some of the losses we had last year? if I was HC I would’ve said “F it! We’re running Wing T” 4 games into watching that abomination that was called offense.

That **** matters. Hartline, Larry Johnson, Seider, and Hartley could be on this staff and the results might be slightly better but not much.

Advertisement
Of course it is. Finishing 5-7 with embarrassing losses and firing multiple coaches and losing both coordinators makes for a pathetic Year 1 for Mario. Thats on him. Period.

That doesn’t mean you cannot overcome that performance but it requires you to pony up mucho dinero and pay the “suck tax” [credit to Cribby for coining that term] on every top recruit. But, it doesn’t sound like we are willing to do that.

We are essentially like a professional club and assessing each high school player like players who are drafted. We are not going to pay first round money for a second round draft choice. Yet, we “need” to over pay (suck tax) to land that player because of our performance last year. If we pay market value, then many top players will go elsewhere due to the elevated risk associated with playing at Miami given our on field performance.

Little to do with 5-7
Im my opinion it has more to do with other teams that tradionally dropped bags having their nil networks catch up
So the small window where we had a bag advantage is gone
So we’re recruiting similar to richt and manny again
Recruiting is always about bags
Mario is elite but he still needs bags

The way to fix this is to win and win in a fun to watch way to bring back the U
That way the brand will have value that is more than the other schools nil that’s how we can get the nil advantage again by leveraging the brand of the school

Last edited:
Advertisement

Signed,

Peruche

View attachment 249693
Preach damnit speak logic and truth. Ninjas be looking for reasons like this sh an anime. Always looking for some scientific *** evidence on why a kid went somewhere. Sh crazy to me. If MC could convince kids last season to come to this dumpster juice program he won't have a problem getting kids regardless of record. And when he gets those kids the wins will come and everyone of those anime heads can stfu and remember those days of arguing about 5-7.

Advertisement
Mario is a respected coach that was coming off a good season at oregon, now he’s coming off a terrible season. That matters alot in recruiting its a year by year thing, unless u throwing huge bags around like it seems uf,ou,a&m are doing.

If u aren’t winning its harder to sell your program vs the schools you’re competing with against top recruits

Either way there is some names left that can salvage this class

If you don't think the 5-7 season doesn't effect recruiting then I'll answer you this way. You have your opinion and I have mine. A few of those losses were absolutely inexcuseable. That season and losses is what other schools focus on along with other things too. So are you telling me if we go 5-7 this year it will have no effect on recruiting for the following year? The other schools that are recruiting against us are certainly mentioning our wonderful 5-7 record. That is a no brainer and I disagree with you 100%.

Im with you, 5-7 doesn't tell the whole story. It was THAT much worse than 1997. I mean, UM was downright unwatchable. I mean, even the wins, like UVA, geez. @CanesAreAble and I were literally the only two Canes fans at a Canes watch party (at Barney's Beanery) and it was actually depressing watching that. @CanesAreAble recently called it a 'morale loss' LOL

So yeah, we were actually WORSE than what the record says. To me, it's the worst season Ive ever gone through as a UM fan

Last edited:
Because, only Miami is judged by its previous season by recruits.

All our new coaches always get the benefit of the doubt over the last 20 years. The recruits drink they kool aide that 1st class, then it’s right back to what have you done for me lately.

ONLY AT THE U.. BABY!!

Advertisement
If you suck, you HAVE to drop bags. It’s blatant that other programs have caught up to our NIL department. It’s easy to convince a player to come to your 5-7 team if you give him a ton of money. But when the money is equal or worse, they’re going to pick the team that didn’t go 5-7 every time.

Because, only Miami is judged by its previous season by recruits.

All our new coaches always get the benefit of the doubt over the last 20 years. The recruits drink they kool aide that 1st class, then it’s right back to what have you done for me lately.

ONLY AT THE U.. BABY!!

It's the difference b/w this era of instant gratification and communication and say Lou Saban's classes at UM. Saban went 3-8 his first season but it delivered the '78 class which set the foundation for the next 12-15 years of dominance. Players like Lester Williams, David Jefferson and others I can't remember this early in the morning. You just can't get away w/ that these days at Miami.

It's crazy how people can talk about middle Tennessee destroying Miami and Florida State then say how does that effect recruiting. How bad the team was overall and it not effect recruiting. Come on man what planet do you live on.

It was more of the way we lost, middle Tennessee straight up beat us bad, I mean made us look like a fcs team, Clemson game looked almost like high school vs pros. Got blew out by freakin Duke, couldn’t even score a touchdown on our rival. Just being honest we are not a good football team until proven otherwise and that’s being nice

Advertisement
Back