Thank you Veterans

Advertisement
My grandfather.

Private First Class, World War 2.

Shooting down German planes at 19 years old.

View attachment 45645
View attachment 45646
View attachment 45644

Sweet. My grandfather passed years ago, but I have an army manual of his and one of the highlights is a section about how to recognize enemy plane silhouettes, how to tell if they're approaching or flying away and where to aim your rifle so as to shoot them down. Blows my mind that there was actually a manual telling (very) young men who had been normal civilians a few months before how to shoot down a German fighter. I respect the sht out of that.

Thank you to those who serve. And have served. You deserve our utmost support and respect. May God bless all of you. GO CANES BABY!

timothyburke2a.jpg

This was a friend of mine whom made the supreme sacrifice on Oct 4, 2006 in Taji, Iraq. Although I hadn't seen him in 2-3 years before this happened I consider it an honor to have called him my friend.

Army Spc Timothy Burke

Assigned to the 7th Squadron, 10th Calvary regiment, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division in Fort Hood, Texas

Was going to upvote and hit the wrong arrow

Advertisement
My grandfather.

Private First Class, World War 2.

Shooting down German planes at 19 years old.

View attachment 45645
View attachment 45646
View attachment 45644

Sweet. My grandfather passed years ago, but I have an army manual of his and one of the highlights is a section about how to recognize enemy plane silhouettes, how to tell if they're approaching or flying away and where to aim your rifle so as to shoot them down. Blows my mind that there was actually a manual telling (very) young men who had been normal civilians a few months before how to shoot down a German fighter. I respect the sht out of that.

My grandpa told me that he never saw with his own eyes a plane go down from his squadron's fire but they received several reports that they had made direct hits that led to planes going down a few miles away.

And it is crazy to think about. One minute he was a kid on the streets of Brooklyn fresh out of high school drinking bootleg liquor and causing mischief with his pals. The next minute he's in Europe shooting at high powered enemy aircraft.

The Greatest Generation, indeed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back