Thad Franklin

Advertisement
I don’t care about average distance. Show me where every Clemson player in last year’s two deep went to HS.

Wut?
You’re bringing up Clemson as an example of being able to be an elite team and recruit from far away.
Average distance from high school to campus is most relevant to that.
Trevor Lawrence is from GA. Trevor Lawrence’s high school is closer to Clemson than it is to UGA.
Do you see how that’s a relevant factor in all of this? And why it’s much more like they were going to land Lawrence compared to say Wisconsin or Oregon?

Sad how people always act like this ain't a MAJOR factor. Then holler "win and they'll come!" How TF do you win without the horses to win with?
It’s always been a factor. Schools have been dropping bags for kids before Howard ever even took the job. The truth is. Miami has recruited well enough to win. Maybe not national titles but they’re consistently recruiting at a top 25 level and that should be more than enough talent to win 9 or 10 games EVERY year in our crap conference. It’s no coincidence that their best recruiting class in a decade came right after their best season in a decade. It’s no secret. Kids want to play for a winner. Miami has not been a winner. Fans then complain that the staff can’t recruit. Nah, the staff recruits incredible for a 7 win program. They can’t coach for **** because if they could, they’d win more than 7 games every year.

I always get worried with maxed out running backs in HS, give me the Knightons of the world the ones u know will get more explosive.
We on the same page D. I like yo, but definitely keep our eye on some of the other OOS backs. Crazy how Miami name still rings bell. I'm driving for fresh air yesterday. I saw at least 3 or 4 Hurricanes tags in Ft. Washington/DC area. Trust kids and their families still rocking with us. We gotta find those kids. Hickson gonna get his man

We on the same page D. I like yo, but definitely keep our eye on some of the other OOS backs. Crazy how Miami name still rings bell. I'm driving for fresh air yesterday. I saw at least 3 or 4 Hurricanes tags in Ft. Washington/DC area. Trust kids and their families still rocking with us. We gotta find those kids. Hickson gonna get his man
Yea Miami is big where I'm at to.....I don't know who's going to bring us back but we need leaders throughout the program badly and I'm not talking about players.

Advertisement
Wut?
You’re bringing up Clemson as an example of being able to be an elite team and recruit from far away.
Average distance from high school to campus is most relevant to that.
Trevor Lawrence is from GA. Trevor Lawrence’s high school is closer to Clemson than it is to UGA.
Do you see how that’s a relevant factor in all of this? And why it’s much more like they were going to land Lawrence compared to say Wisconsin or Oregon?
You're looking to spin stats. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in players in Clemson's "back yard" as it is traditionally defined. You start talking about average distance, and that's meaningless because the bottom half of the roster can be all guys from Clemson High School, and the top half can be from all over the rest of the country.

Average distance can easily paint a picture that blurs the real facts. Go sign a guy from Edmonton, Alberta and see how that skews the average distance.

How much is a guy from Edmonton, Alberta going to skew a roster of 85 scholarship players? You serious right now? At best that would maybe skew a single class.

I have no idea how you’re defining “back yard.” To say it’s purely in state is crazy, not how I would ever define it.

The argument being made on this board is to go outside of our geographic region and take on teams with more resources for recruits in their recruiting territory.
You keep wanting to say it can be done, because kids in the south leave their home states. I’m more than willing to concede they do.
Now the relevant question is: how far do they go when they do? If they from Pensacola, FL to somewhere in Alabama, who cares that they “left the state”?

The elite teams are not going far to recruit. Even if they are leaving their literal state to recruit.

Yea Miami is big where I'm at to.....I don't know who's going to bring us back but we need leaders throughout the program badly and I'm not talking about players.
Yep. People don't realize that we're so far in time from being relevant that we need to do this in stages. Clemson did it in stages. Dummies forget that Clemson was a nothing program forever. They won 7 or 8 each year forever.

If we handle this situation in realistic stages, then we can make it where we want to go. First, we have to find coaches who can maximize the talent that we do sign. There's no one who will EVER convince me that we can't win 10 games and the Coastal with the talent we are currently signing. That's ALL on the coaches. Every bit of it.

Get us to 10 wins on a pretty consistent basis for 3 or 4 years, then we can start progressing to the next stage. All this talk of NCs and playoffs needs to be put on hold. Take that first step by maximizing the talent we do have, and that will build some heat around the program and we can push to the next stage of competing with the top tier programs.

Until we can consistently achieve what we should be achieving with the talent we do get, we will never get back in the top tier picture.

Advertisement
How much is a guy from Edmonton, Alberta going to skew a roster of 85 scholarship players? You serious right now? At best that would maybe skew a single class.

I have no idea how you’re defining “back yard.” To say it’s purely in state is crazy, not how I would ever define it.

The argument being made on this board is to go outside of our geographic region and take on teams with more resources for recruits in their recruiting territory.
You keep wanting to say it can be done, because kids in the south leave their home states. I’m more than willing to concede they do.
Now the relevant question is: how far do they go when they do? If they from Pensacola, FL to somewhere in Alabama, who cares that they “left the state”?

The elite teams are not going far to recruit. Even if they are leaving their literal state to recruit.
Your definitions are different than the normal definitions. Go down Clemson's two deep from last year and tell me that they are traditional "back yard" recruiting machine. Do the same for Ohio Taint and Alabaga while you're at it. The best programs are getting talent from all over the place just like we used to do when we were the best. All of our best teams were littered with key contributors from all over the map. And it wasn't just one or two guys.

What does "take on teams with more resources" even mean? Most of our top ambassadors during recruiting are guys from outside of our area. The brand is stronger outside of S. FL than it is in S FL right now.

Lots of logic. Show me in his film where he's making any Chaney/Knighton type moves? It's all stright ahead through huge holes ala Lingard.

I said there is no logic to why they would have cooled on him. They had access to all the tape. That would make no sense if they were so enamored by his film that they pushed for his commitment not once, but twice. Without any new tape or camp numbers, that would make no sense that they cooled on him just from rewatching the same tape they have been watching for a year now...

I said there is no logic to why they would have cooled on him. They had access to all the tape. That would make no sense if they were so enamored by his film that they pushed for his commitment not once, but twice. Without any new tape or camp numbers, that would make no sense that they cooled on him just from rewatching the same tape they have been watching for a year now...
Could be some behind the scenes stuff that's not being posted. Hickson might've told Manny or maybe we found out he's trolling. It's recruiting anything is possible.

I may have Franklin confused with someone else but I remember it was somewhat surprising he recommitted so fast. maybe there is something to the staff maintaining a little distance right now. IDK

Advertisement
Yep. People don't realize that we're so far in time from being relevant that we need to do this in stages. Clemson did it in stages. Dummies forget that Clemson was a nothing program forever. They won 7 or 8 each year forever.

If we handle this situation in realistic stages, then we can make it where we want to go. First, we have to find coaches who can maximize the talent that we do sign. There's no one who will EVER convince me that we can't win 10 games and the Coastal with the talent we are currently signing. That's ALL on the coaches. Every bit of it.

Get us to 10 wins on a pretty consistent basis for 3 or 4 years, then we can start progressing to the next stage. All this talk of NCs and playoffs needs to be put on hold. Take that first step by maximizing the talent we do have, and that will build some heat around the program and we can push to the next stage of competing with the top tier programs.

Until we can consistently achieve what we should be achieving with the talent we do get, we will never get back in the top tier picture.

this.

the hard scholarship limitations and the change to the "3 and out" culture for a roster's top players is the greatest equalizer in college football. it means that there is more parity, not less, and you can win with the guys you have (and get), even if you don't land every so called 5 Star in the nation.

with what is on the roster, NOW … we have the talent to win. no, not a national championship, but 10 games for sure, and we have the talent not to lose to the FIU's of the world.

it means we are and can be good. if and when that "get me 10 wins and look pretty good doing it" season happens: then we're in crotch sniffing distance away from being great.

He's better then what they had at the time, but they feel there are better options that will come available. Lashlee probably feels Thad isn't a great scheme fit.

Advertisement
this.

the hard scholarship limitations and the change to the "3 and out" culture for a roster's top players is the greatest equalizer in college football. it means that there is more parity, not less, and you can win with the guys you have (and get), even if you don't land every so called 5 Star in the nation.

with what is on the roster, NOW … we have the talent to win. no, not a national championship, but 10 games for sure, and we have the talent not to lose to the FIU's of the world.

it means we are and can be good. if and when that "get me 10 wins and look pretty good doing it" season happens: then we're in crotch sniffing distance away from being great.

The bolded part is something I really agree with. Fans see us lose recruiting battles to Clemson and Alabama and say "we'll never be good if we can't get those guys". We don't need to get those guys to be good. We've been recruiting at a "good" level for a while. We need consistent "good" on field results to match the recruiting. If we start winning division titles consistently we'll be able to sway a lot more of those 5 star guys.

Yup we have to be good again at getting players and making sure they are better when they leave. Then build off that plus winning

His comments to TOS:

Says he talks to coaches a couple of times a week, including Manny.

The bottom line with the status of his Cane commitment?

“I’m with Miami, but I’m making sure I’m making the right decision, am looking at other colleges,” said Franklin, who has 43 scholarship offers.

Franklin says he’ll take a full slate of official visits but doesn’t want to make the lucky schools public yet. He also plans to take unofficial visits to LSU, Penn State and Rutgers this summer (he canceled spring trips that were planned to Penn State and Rutgers due to the coronavirus outbreak).

We also asked him the chance as of now that he winds up a Cane in the end. “Right now I’m pretty sure that’s where I will wind up unless I take my visits and change my mind,” Franklin said.

So in other words, if he gets a better offer he's gone...

Your definitions are different than the normal definitions. Go down Clemson's two deep from last year and tell me that they are traditional "back yard" recruiting machine. Do the same for Ohio Taint and Alabaga while you're at it. The best programs are getting talent from all over the place just like we used to do when we were the best. All of our best teams were littered with key contributors from all over the map. And it wasn't just one or two guys.

What does "take on teams with more resources" even mean? Most of our top ambassadors during recruiting are guys from outside of our area. The brand is stronger outside of S. FL than it is in S FL right now.

I don’t care that the best programs don’t recruit from their literal state.
You’ve made that point over and over again and I’ve conceded it.

Now I want you to show me how far away they go. Or at least estimate how far you think the average Clemson recruit went to high school compared to Clemson’s campus?
And where would that average miles put us?

Everybody keeps wanting to say that recruiting has changed, and it’s not literal backyards anymore. That’s fine. But people want to pretend like that means teams have rosters filled up with players from far away. And they don’t.

The reason why the SEC dominates college football is because the SEC locks down the SEC region. Even if that means every kid from GA doesn’t go to UGA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back