Texas State signs no HS recruits

Just jumping in with the fact that their head coach played at my alma mater (Missouri State). I was gone by the time he got there, and he was our Mark Richt (career backup), but was highly thought of there.

I’ve always thought FCS teams should live on transfers due to the not having to sit out rules, and with the NCAA exception I think it’s perfect for one year to build up a base.

Biggest issue is getting transfers to buy-in to your program and not themselves. When I was at Missouri State, our HC was Randy Ball and he did build teams with transfers. It created these notable issues:

1. Transfers acted like mercenaries. In workouts you always knew who were transfers because they’d be wearing a “Virginia Tech” undershirt or whatever school they came from, rather than our Missouri State ones. That scene in Miracle where the coach asks Aruzioni who he plays for always resonated with me because these guys would answer “I’m from Virginia Tech” etc.

2. Players knew the transfers were getting promises of playing time and even if we were better, they’d get the nod because of it. Real or imagined, this sense of favoritism divided the team.

3. Existing players felt a certain sense of doom where the belief was coaches would simply recruit a transfer over you.

Lots of culture issues on that team and much of it can be traced to the transfer-heavy makeup. Coaches didn’t do a good job of managing the culture, but there are some cautionary elements at play here.

Advertisement
Just jumping in with the fact that their head coach played at my alma mater (Missouri State). I was gone by the time he got there, and he was our Mark Richt (career backup), but was highly thought of there.

I’ve always thought FCS teams should live on transfers due to the not having to sit out rules, and with the NCAA exception I think it’s perfect for one year to build up a base.

Biggest issue is getting transfers to buy-in to your program and not themselves. When I was at Missouri State, our HC was Randy Ball and he did build teams with transfers. It created these notable issues:

1. Transfers acted like mercenaries. In workouts you always knew who were transfers because they’d be wearing a “Virginia Tech” undershirt or whatever school they came from, rather than our Missouri State ones. That scene in Miracle where the coach asks Aruzioni who he plays for always resonated with me because these guys would answer “I’m from Virginia Tech” etc.

2. Players knew the transfers were getting promises of playing time and even if we were better, they’d get the nod because of it. Real or imagined, this sense of favoritism divided the team.

3. Existing players felt a certain sense of doom where the belief was coaches would simply recruit a transfer over you.

Lots of culture issues on that team and much of it can be traced to the transfer-heavy makeup. Coaches didn’t do a good job of managing the culture, but there are some cautionary elements at play here.
Missouri St. must recruit Florida hard, had a couple of homies that went there.

Advertisement
Back