Texas is big. Moves on D.

Advertisement
I really do not know much about Texas, but they are 16-8 in quad 1, (whatever that really means), and undefeated against 2,3, and 4.
So they 24 quad one games so can not say they have not been tested. I guess that is where the favortism comes from, because it appears to me that we match up very good against them. I fact I believe we win this game than cruise into the finals. We will actually have a more favorable schedule in front of us.

To beat Miami you have two options.

1. Slow it down and use your size ( if you have it) which is harder to do than ya think. Keep the game in the 50’s - 60’s. SDSU would be the team to do that by mucking things up , slowing the game down , playing great D.

2. Play fast and try to out score UM. Which is a dangerous game beens that’s what we want to do. UConn is capable of playing both ways.

What I find funny is people look at our defensive analytic‘s and think it’s a bad or average defensive team. In fact it’s an attacking defense that plays for turnovers and to speed up the game. The defense and offense go hand In hand. We’re an awkward matchup for most teams. A balanced offense with five guys capable of going for twenty points. It’s not uncommon for all five guys to hit double figures or get close.

This team actually reminds me of the really good UF teams that had guys with distinct roles and was very balanced / unselfish. Especially the last month. Guys are making the extra pass and getting better shots for their teammates.

Every major stat that goes by averages and not pure analytics is almost exactly 50/50 with Texas. And all of them are close. PPG, steals, FG%, etc. If you want to make the argument that they played better competition so their numbers mean more, I’m ok with that. But to narrow it down to efficiencies (points per possession on both sides, effective FG%, etc.) is a bettors game. That’s how you rationalize finding “value” on a side. When you win you say it was easy bc of those numbers. When it loses, you use it as an excuse for being wrong. Over the course of a season those numbers probably work, but this isn’t a best of 30.

This is a one game season. The averages go out the window. You look at matchups, and hope for the best. You can’t handicap Pack going 7/10 from three. You can’t handicap injury luck. You can’t handicap somebody having an off night. It’s all noise and is good for the talking heads to break down.

Every major stat that goes by averages and not pure analytics is almost exactly 50/50 with Texas. And all of them are close. PPG, steals, FG%, etc. If you want to make the argument that they played better competition so their numbers mean more, I’m ok with that. But to narrow it down to efficiencies (points per possession on both sides, effective FG%, etc.) is a bettors game. That’s how you rationalize finding “value” on a side. When you win you say it was easy bc of those numbers. When it loses, you use it as an excuse for being wrong. Over the course of a season those numbers probably work, but this isn’t a best of 30.

This is a one game season. The averages go out the window. You look at matchups, and hope for the best. You can’t handicap Pack going 7/10 from three. You can’t handicap injury luck. You can’t handicap somebody having an off night. It’s all noise and is good for the talking heads to break down.
It’ll come down to foul double and who’s hitting from the outside imo. It’s that close. I liked the Indiana and Houston matchups but this one is more intriguing.

Advertisement
I really do not know much about Texas, but they are 16-8 in quad 1, (whatever that really means), and undefeated against 2,3, and 4.
So they 24 quad one games so can not say they have not been tested. I guess that is where the favortism comes from, because it appears to me that we match up very good against them. I fact I believe we win this game than cruise into the finals. We will actually have a more favorable schedule in front of us.
I’ve watched them five or six times and they’re a weird team. They look amazing some games and then the next time I see them they look like trash. They seem like a streaky bunch.

To beat Miami you have two options.

1. Slow it down and use your size ( if you have it) which is harder to do than ya think. Keep the game in the 50’s - 60’s. SDSU would be the team to do that by mucking things up , slowing the game down , playing great D.

2. Play fast and try to out score UM. Which is a dangerous game beens that’s what we want to do. UConn is capable of playing both ways.

What I find funny is people look at our defensive analytic‘s and think it’s a bad or average defensive team. In fact it’s an attacking defense that plays for turnovers and to speed up the game. The defense and offense go hand In hand. We’re an awkward matchup for most teams. A balanced offense with five guys capable of going for twenty points. It’s not uncommon for all five guys to hit double figures or get close.

This team actually reminds me of the really good UF teams that had guys with distinct roles and was very balanced / unselfish. Especially the last month. Guys are making the extra pass and getting better shots for their teammates.
Great points. And the problem with running with us is that we have been running all season which means we have the legs for it. Houston was caught up in a track meet they hadn’t been running all season and by the end their legs were gone. Though they are out of the tourney, Gonzaga could have and would have run with us as it is their style of game as well.

We also extend other teams defenses because we have a shooter who is making shots from 25 feet. Like Sampson said after the game, Houston was guarding him at 23 feet, which is outrageous in an of itself, but needed to guard him at 25 feet, which is almost unheard of. When a defense has to extend that far, it is literally impossible to stop that player from going to the basket, especially if he shot fakes first. Call this the Steph Currey effect and why Steph scores so much in the paint.

Can we call him an elite shooter now @Cribby?

Great points. And the problem with running with us is that we have been running all season which means we have the legs for it. Houston was caught up in a track meet they hadn’t been running all season and by the end their legs were gone. Though they are out of the tourney, Gonzaga could have and would have run with us as it is their style of game as well.

We also extend other teams defenses because we have a shooter who is making shots from 25 feet. Like Sampson said after the game, Houston was guarding him at 23 feet, which is outrageous in an of itself, but needed to guard him at 25 feet, which is almost unheard of. When a defense has to extend that far, it is literally impossible to stop that player from going to the basket, especially if he shot fakes first. Call this the Steph Currey effect and why Steph scores so much in the paint.

Can we call him an elite shooter now @Cribby?
I think he’s a very good shooter but when he’s on he‘s ridiculous. I’m picky on throwing around elite for anything but he’s **** good and with range. If this shooting continues from Friday I’ll upgrade him lol.

He‘ll have his hands full today with their guards , he can’t get handsy and pick up fouls.

We had only 6 turnovers against Houston. We need that number to stay around 8 tops this game. Texas can play faster than Houston and they can turn you over a lot. We need them to turn it over about 10 times. They also can have high turn over games as well. Colgate turned them over 13 times in a 20 point loss.

Lots of our free points come from breakout dunks from turnovers. FWIW, Anthony Walker hasn't been caught by another PF yet once he leaks out.

They contest passing lanes and fight through screens well. Omeir is a wall screen setter. Omeir also buys us extra possessions.

Their guards are slight. None over 6'4. All 180lbs or less. All of our guards should be able to shoot over their counter part or post them up. This could be a big night for Wooga or Wong in the post and a healthy night for 3pt shooting. Stay hot young man. Stay hot!(Pack)

Side note. Pack played Carr last year twice at Kst. They won once and lost once. Both games Pack played well. In the loss he lead all scorers with 21pts. In the win he was #3 in all scorers at 16. His percentages were fine. He won't get rattled.

Carr went for 25 in Texas loss. He's the goods.

It'll be a miss or make game tonight. If we handle the pressure of the Great 8(not our opponent) and just shoot average and don't turn it over, we'll beat Texas.

Advertisement

One factor that Kenpom can't account for is physicality. Miami is secretly a very physical team. That matters in high stakes games. Listen to what Texas guard says about Miami. 1:04

SDSU mucks games up man , they make it a street fight. Creighton is normally a pretty good offense. This is what the Aztecs do to people lol.

It’ll come down to foul trouble and who’s hitting from the outside imo. It’s that close. I liked the Indiana and Houston matchups but this one is more intriguing.
So far the outside shooting is the differance

I’ve watched them five or six times and they’re a weird team. They look amazing some games and then the next time I see them they look like trash. They seem like a streaky bunch.
Live by it , die by it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back