Texas is big. Moves on D.

Yup exactly what I saw last night watching the 2nd half of their game. J Miller and Norchad have a chance to set the tone early. I can see J Miller putting on a clinic
I think they will put bodies on us, they will try to bully Miller. Bold strategy but I think that is the only way to defend him.

Advertisement
Duke is the biggest team we played and while it wasn’t the past Duke Teams with regards to how good they were; when Lively was in they were very good defensively as the year progressed.

There is no team left in the tourney that has something we haven’t seen. I would love to see us get UConn so their big and Omier can go to war because him and the kid at Kentucky maybe the only two guys who are close to Omier in “basketball” strength.
Yeah Sanogo and Omier would be a great matchup and one that the NBA people would watch with great interest.

Texas doesn't play anybody over 6'9" and the 6'9" guy was in a walking boot in the 2nd half. His replacement who had a career game is 6'7". That kid tripled his season average. Omier will be the strongest guy on the floor like he usually is. No distinct height advantage for Texas. We'll spread them out and see if their guards can handle ours for 40 minutes at our pace. Tyrese Hunter who plays for Texas was on that Iowa State team our guys beat in the Sweet 16 last year.
Apparently was a bone bruise. He’s likely not playing tomorrow.

Straight up, Miami has gotten real tough tests in all. three rounds. Drake played a **** of a game versus Miami. Indiana and Houston...regardless of final score...were really tough opponents that provided unique challenges. Texas is the next up...perhaps the most difficult challenge, but Miami is deep, full of dawgs, and have an ability to put two in your chest in the second half and put incredible pressure on you to step up and make shots. Also, the staff is a great coaching staff...their adjustments after key timeouts have been *chefs kiss*.

Advertisement
Straight up, Miami has gotten real tough tests in all. three rounds. Drake played a **** of a game versus Miami. Indiana and Houston...regardless of final score...were really tough opponents that provided unique challenges. Texas is the next up...perhaps the most difficult challenge, but Miami is deep, full of dawgs, and have an ability to put two in your chest in the second half and put incredible pressure on you to step up and make shots. Also, the staff is a great coaching staff...their adjustments after key timeouts have been *chefs kiss*.
My hopes were elevated in the game vs Indiana from I think we can, to I know we can. While I have been saying for a while now, when our offense is on, not many teams can do what we do. Very few. Indiana actually played pretty well. Two things in that game that really opened my eyes. Miller took Davis down low back to back I think and scored on him in the paint. That Miller is nearly unstoppable. The second thing was Omier on the glass. I want to nickname him the Octopus, that dude has suction cups on his forearms or something, truly a thing of beauty to watch him rebound. When Wong plays well, under control, elevates us to another level.

Would help to be on the other side of the bracket. The best four teams are on our side. We have to beat the best teams to get to the Finals.
I think any can pose threats, KSU and Creighton can both score, SDSU if they make shots are as good as anybody, grown men, FAU has a lot of guys that can score too. I would much rather play any of them though compared to Texas and Uconn.

Advertisement
I would argue that we are about to see the beat offensive team in the tourney against he best defensive team.
Texas and Houston play a similar style of defense, but Texas does it with longer athletes, and more importantly, in a much better conference that prepared them for this tourney. UT’s big guy maybe out and that definitely helps us, but they have so much confidence right now.

It’s a shame that these 2 teams aren’t meeting in the Final 4 but as many of us were arguing before Omier’s injury, UM should have been a 3 seed at worst. The eyes tell a lot more than a computer ranking.
Omier is the great equalizer.

Houston coach Kelvin Samson said that he was the strongest, most skilled, and smartest big that they faced all season long. He said that none of the 6’10, 6’11, or 7’0’ and above players that Houston faced this year gave them any issues.

We have an extremely fast team that can shoot the ball and that make the correct passes. If our Canes keep on playing with the sense of urgency that they’ve been playing with, they can beat anyone left in this tournament.

Texas will be a tough game for sure. Our dudes just gotta bring their A game and keep on playing as a team, and with discipline. The Canes can score with anyone. Just protect the ball and rebound.

Last edited:
Omier is the great equalizer.

Houston coach Kelvin Samson said that he was the strongest, most skilled, and smartest big that they faced all season long. He said that none of the 6’10, 6’11, or 7’0’ and above players that Houston faced this year gave them any issues.

We have an extremely fast team that can shoot the ball and that make the correct passes. If our Canes keep on playing with the sense of urgency that they’ve been playing with, the can beat anyone left in this tournament.

Texas will be a tough game for sure. Our dudes just gotta bring their A game and keep on playing as a team, and with discipline. The Canes can score with anyone. Just protect the ball and rebound.
Agreed. The game is winnable. This could be an epic battle, and as you noted, if Omier can grab the offensive rebounds and get us a few more shots like he did against IU, we can beat any team. I just don’t think we can take UT out of their style like we did with Houston. Houston had no business being pulled into a track meet. As great as Sampson is, he lost control of his team because his athletes were caught up in the speed at which UM played.

Early shooting to me is the key. If UM hits shots early it increases the pressure on the other team to keep up, which speeds up the game, which plays into our hands in the 2nd half.

Agreed. The game is winnable. This could be an epic battle, and as you noted, if Omier can grab the offensive rebounds and get us a few more shots like he did against IU, we can beat any team. I just don’t think we can take UT out of their style like we did with Houston. Houston had no business being pulled into a track meet. As great as Sampson is, he lost control of his team because his athletes were caught up in the speed at which UM played.

Early shooting to me is the key. If UM hits shots early it increases the pressure on the other team to keep up, which speeds up the game, which plays into our hands in the 2nd half.
I agree. But not playing at the Canes pace is easier said than done. Right now our dudes are peaking as a team.

I agree that a fast start will be critical. That will put the pressure on Texas, and might get them a bit out of their game mentally.

We also have to be smart and not take bad shots if we’re able to build a decent lead.

If Pack, Miller and Wong keep on playing the way they have the past 2 games, we have a great shot to advance. Wooga is the wild card. He has played great for a good number of games now, and is a clutch performer. He may end up being a very important player in this game.

I also like Coach L in this coaching matchup. Texas has an interim head coach, and though they are playing very well, experience at this level can be a very important X-factor. Their coach has been a part of some National Championship teams, but never as a head coach. It will be a chess match. If we can impose our will on Texas and force them to play at our tempo, I like our chances.

I agree. But not playing at the Canes pace is easier said than done. Right now our dudes are peaking as a team.

I agree that a fast start will be critical. That will put the pressure on Texas, and might get them a bit out of their game mentally.

We also have to be smart and not take bad shots if we’re able to build a decent lead.

If Pack, Miller and Wong keep on playing the way they have the past 2 games, we have a great shot to advance. Wooga is the wild card. He has played great for a good number of games now, and is a clutch performer. He may end up being a very important player in this game.

I also like Coach L in this coaching matchup. Texas has an interim head coach, and though they are playing very well, experience at this level can be a very important X-factor. Their coach has been a part of some National Championship teams, but never as a head coach. It will be a chess match. If we can impose our will on Texas and force them to play at our tempo, I like our chances.
Lots of great points, but I love the last point the most. Coach L still keeps giving us an advantage in Coaching.

And I also agree that great athletes want to run, and when they are challenged by their opponent to run, most take the bait because it is almost impossible not to. Lesser athletes can accept not running because even in high school they had to win in grind it out half court games. Every kid on Houston and Texas was the best athlete on the court for the majority of their lives and all the highlights were for the dunks.

Advertisement
Lots of great points, but I love the last point the most. Coach L still keeps giving us an advantage in Coaching.

And I also agree that great athletes want to run, and when they are challenged by their opponent to run, most take the bait because it is almost impossible not to. Lesser athletes can accept not running because even in high school they had to win in grind it out half court games. Every kid on Houston and Texas was the best athlete on the court for the majority of their lives and all the highlights were for the dunks.
Excellent post!

Great analysis. It will definitely be extremely difficult for those Texas athletes to stay disciplined and not want to play fast paced.

I agree. If this was Princeton or another team that has lesser athletes, slowing down the game wouldn’t be an issue for them, since that’s the way they play every game in order to have a chance to win.

Houston was rated top 10-15 in both offense and defense, and we dictated the pace against them. We just have to try to impose our will and pace on the Horns.

Advertisement
If a month ago were offered Round of 8 versus a beatable nbr 2 seed most would be thrilled to take that. The season is a hUge sUccess. This is icing on the proverbial cake... hope we show up and if they do also they might send us home, but proud and no huge regrets.

Advertisement
Back