Tennessee DE Deandre Johnson Transfers to Miami

Advertisement
I’m saying it’s ridiculous we again need a transfer because our defensive staff of 5 years can’t recruit or develop proper depth at any position on D. Can I safely assume that transfers will be our best plAyers next year too?
This is a huge problem.
5 years and your still relying on transfers and it’s for both depth and quality.
This is why people including myself said that losing Rousseau for this year and Phillips for next year was manny’s big test. Keeping men like this in your program is what separates the big boys from the rest.
Now a position of great strength is another question mark for next year.

Idk if this young man has the talent of GR or JP.
I hope he’s a late bloomer and ends up better than both of them. But I just don’t see it.
Yes he’s talented enough to play here. But to replace those 2 guys is a tall order. And idk if our performance on the field is going to be enough to keep a guy like Stewart home next year. And when your talking about replacing GR or Jp then Stewart is the guy your talking about.

I hope I eat crow and he comes here and kills it and becomes an early draft pick.
But continuing to rely on the portal isn’t a sustainable recipe for success imo.
Again, I hope I’m wrong but it’s just concerning to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here's a couple of my old writeups on Johnson. Have always been a big fan, although I thought he would grow more into a DE/DT tweener.

From February 2016:

- Excellent balance and coordination. Plays under control. Was stabbed in his chest at school by his girlfriend but has since recovered. Not a freak athlete but a really good football player.

From December 2016 after Southridge/Deerfield Beach game:

- I'm a DeAndre Johnson (2017) fan. He lived in the backfield and rocked Nick Holm on several occasions. I would like us to keep Johnson on the radar at DT. He's better than Tyreic Martin and we need depth.
This kid got stabbed in the chest and didn’t miss any time? He definitely ain’t charmin soft like the rest of the southridge kids

Solid player. He plays that elephant role in the Alabama defense (that Pruitt took to Tennessee). Plays the same role that Anfernee Jennings played at Alabama last year.

Has a solid rip-and-dip move on the edge. Heavy hands. Plays with leverage. Lacks some sand in his pants. Stood up and played with his hand down last year. Best game was against South Carolina, where he made some plays.

Has incredible balance. As in, I never saw him on the ground once. That's a great thing for a DL.

Can understand him leaving, only played around 55% of their snaps on defense and they had a heavy rotation at edge.

Will add age to the room, plays tough. He played a role like Roche played at Temple, where they drop him in coverage some, played stack LB some, overhand edge, rushes the passer. Based on the fact the coaches played Patrick Joyner and Zach McCloud on the edge a ton in the bowl game, I'd suspect he will start.

Advertisement
Solid player. He plays that elephant role in the Alabama defense (that Pruitt took to Tennessee). Plays the same role that Anfernee Jennings played at Alabama last year.

Has a solid rip-and-dip move on the edge. Heavy hands. Plays with leverage. Lacks some sand in his pants. Stood up and played with his hand down last year. Best game was against South Carolina, where he made some plays.

Has incredible balance. As in, I never saw him on the ground once. That's a great thing for a DL.

Can understand him leaving, only played around 55% of their snaps on defense and they had a heavy rotation at edge.

Will add age to the room, plays tough. He played a role like Roche played at Temple, where they drop him in coverage some, played stack LB some, overhand edge, rushes the passer. Based on the fact the coaches played Patrick Joyner and Zach McCloud on the edge a ton in the bowl game, I'd suspect he will start.
They played a TF Tyler Baron at his spot a lot. Especially early downs. One thing that concerns me is he is much better with dip move outside. I watched him get man handled on a lot of inside stunts when he was there. With the amount of stunts we do I’ll be interested to see how he does there

They played a TF Tyler Baron at his spot a lot. Especially early downs. One thing that concerns me is he is much better with dip move outside. I watched him get man handled on a lot of inside stunts when he was there. With the amount of stunts we do I’ll be interested to see how he does there
Didn't watch every snap of his career or anything, but he made a strong move on a twist where he split a C/G double, ripped through contact and finished the QB. He's light in the pants, but is similar to Roche. A step less athletic, a bit more stout.

Advertisement
This is a huge problem.
5 years and your still relying on transfers and it’s for both depth and quality.
This is why people including myself said that losing Rousseau for this year and Phillips for next year was manny’s big test. Keeping men like this in your program is what separates the big boys from the rest.
Now a position of great strength is another question mark for next year.

Idk if this young man has the talent of GR or JP.
I hope he’s a late bloomer and ends up better than both of them. But I just don’t see it.
Yes he’s talented enough to play here. But to replace those 2 guys is a tall order. And idk if our performance on the field is going to be enough to keep a guy like Stewart home next year. And when your talking about replacing GR or Jp then Stewart is the guy your talking about.

I hope I eat crow and he comes here and kills it and becomes an early draft pick.
But continuing to rely on the portal isn’t a sustainable recipe for success imo.
Again, I hope I’m wrong but it’s just concerning to me.
It's dumb to think your going to convince first rounders to stay...

Advertisement
Back