Tennessee DE Deandre Johnson Transfers to Miami

Sorry if this is off topic but speaking of portal kids do we get a counter because Joyner is leaving? Thanks in advance.

Nope. We’ll see what changes happen this month with the NCAA because they have to do something with all the portal kids out there and teams only allowed to sign 25 guys a year.

Advertisement
We have totally gotten away from what made us great....making safeties into lbs....making lbs into d ends.....making d ends into dt"s
Diaz and staff like turning DEs into LBs, DTs into DEs and LBs into Strikers.

Danny Devito No GIF

Like Carter, Hall should've been moved to lb and weight in the 230 range. McCloud and Jennings should've moved to de and played in the 245 250 range. Way more explosive at those positions.
Carter would still be a bad linebacker taking bad angles and not wrapping up. Hall just needs the light to come on. He doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb in any good or horrible way. He can be a baller for us. He’s got two more years. Let’s see if he uses them

@Go Canes!!

I watched his film against South Carolina. He's not a starter but he played almost all the snaps on money downs and some early downs as well. Tennessee had 2 bigger base end types they preferred on run downs. I can understand why as Johnson doesn't create much knockback in the run game. He has a thick lower half and he's pretty explosive but it doesn't translate to upper body strength in tight quarters.

So Miami would be wise to limit his snaps on early downs against run-heavy teams as well. But he has some good traits and skills as a pass rusher. His snap quickness is solid and his speed sneaks up on guys when he hits full stride in pursuit. His most consistent rush move is a simpe bullrush converting speed to power. He does generate knockback with that move and can clear his hands to swipe at the ball or pursue to the ball. He's extremely agile so he can fake the bullrush and rip outside, or strafe to take away option plays and boot action (like Phillips excelled at). His flaw as a pass rusher is his lack of bend - he's not great at flattening around the corner or creating sharp angles on stunts.

I envision his role as mostly a subpackage rusher who can collapse the pocket from the edge, maintain rush lane integrity, trap QBs and track them in pursuit. His effectiveness will be tied to the rest of the group because he's not dominant 1on1 but can be solid and consistent in a collective. Ideally you want him to be your 3rd or 4th best rusher so at least one of the other ends needs to step up along with the interior guys who should be much improved from 2020.

I can also see him playing on early downs against spread option offenses where his agility is an asset defending constraints on the edge or even dropping into coverage on the infamous zone blitzes. Just don't depend on him to stop teams like Louisville or UNC that run a lot of wide zone or power schemes.

---

Would love to hear what our resident film guru genius @Zbrod95 thinks about my analysis. Am I "god's gift to football" or "retarded" in this instance?

Nice write up... I watched that same game and generally agree. My question was how does he "fit" in his role here. Next year we should have a top 4 DE rotation of Cam Williams, Harvey, Chantz, and Johnson. All seem to be better adapt at rushing the passer than setting the edge and playing the run game. I thought with Johnson's bull rush and agility he could maybe slide to DT in the Rosseau role on obvious passing downs for the Nascar package. Out of the TF coming in, the only one I can see helping the run game is to slide LT to DE on some running downs. he is too good not to get snaps.

I noticed his stat line vs. Bama and Georgia combined...He didn't register a stat against them.

All goose eggs...zeroville, not a hurry or assisted tackle.

Obviously that doesn't mean he can't help UM, because obviously those are two excellent OL but would have like to see a hurry or something.

Advertisement
I noticed his stat line vs. Bama and Georgia combined...He didn't register a stat against them.

Obviously that doesn't mean he can't help UM, because obviously those are two excellent OL but would have like to see a hurry or something.
I didn't watch those games but consider the context. Both games were blowouts. UGA had 50 rush attempts and 27 pass attempts. Johnson was a subpackage rusher for the Vols. He likely played limited snaps and didn't get many chances to rush on LDD snaps.

He got a targeting penalty was ejected in the first quarter against UGA.

Advertisement
He should come in and be a solid contributor. He’s not the prospect that Jaelan Phillips was or even Quincy Roche. I just don’t think the coaches want to have to rely on defensive ends playing 70 snaps a game like they did this year (thanks for opting out Greg Rousseau) so there should be a nice four man rotation with Johnson, Harvey, Cam Williams and Chantz Williams.

He should come in and be a solid contributor. He’s not the prospect that Jaelan Phillips was or even Quincy Roche. I just don’t think the coaches want to have to rely on defensive ends playing 70 snaps a game like they did this year (thanks for opting out Greg Rousseau) so there should be a nice four man rotation with Johnson, Harvey, Cam Williams and Chantz Williams.
Exactly. We need our DE's to take that next step. It's nice to have a veteran guy like Johnson playing who can set an example. He is out to provide something and will perform better in the ACC.

Also remember, depending on the scheme that we are going to..it might bring out more of DJs talent then what Pruitts D did..we might be getting rid of the aggressive, upfield scheme that helps our DEs look good but I still think he will have more opportunities to rush the passer and get sacks. Someone said he should definitely double his sack total next year and I agree. I see 8-10 sacks for him as being realistic.

Advertisement

im not super excited about this pickup. Hope we wrong

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back