Team Stats (Through 10/17)

Advertisement
But but those numbers so how great our D is and we have some morons who act like Diaz is a Corch LMAO .

But but those numbers so how great our D is and we have some morons who act like Diaz is a Corch LMAO .

Diaz has his flaws for sure but ppl on here are just clueless and ignorant

Diaz gets 1/2 or less than other top team DC's are paid and has produced instant near-elite results with non-elite talent

I mean aranda gets paid 2.5 Mil and our defense out played LSU if you take away rosier dumb pick six

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am very encouraged because unlike against LSU, our operations look well run. If someone could fix the special teams i would be grateful. Feagles is terrible. The KR and PR seems to have been better where we are not getting stuffed inside the 20 on KR.

The fact we have completely turned around our defensive 3rd down conversion percentage is impressive.

Manny Diaz has not been perfect, but **** it's refreshing to have him over what we had before.

I'm not ready to give up on him as our d coordinator just yet
If we would play the best players regardless of seniority and also substitute less i think our D would improve 10-15%. There is real drop off between our starting and backup units in some areas of the team on D. Diaz is doing a good job overall, i can nitpick every coach on any team but i think eventually we will have a ferocious D that teams fear to come up against in the not too long future. D that will come after u all game.

Advertisement
If we would play the best players regardless of seniority and also substitute less i think our D would improve 10-15%. There is real drop off between our starting and backup units in some areas of the team on D. Diaz is doing a good job overall, i can nitpick every coach on any team but i think eventually we will have a ferocious D that teams fear to come up against in the not too long future. D that will come after u all game.

I agree. I think the substitutions thus far have been more-so to keep the starters fresh for ACC play and to get the young guys some valuable experience.

Our starters have been impressive so far

We're #1 for the last two years in TFL. We're top 3 in saxks last year and we'll be there again this year when the dust settles.. is that not already what you're talking about in terms of D that's come after people all day long ?

Can't get much better in that aspect our only weakness has been the secondary

Scoring Offense:
vs ALL: #16 nationally at 44.2 ppg
vs FCS: #26 nationally at 36 ppg

I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

So we scored 221 total points. Of those 221, the defense/STs had the following touchdowns:

- Punt Block and Return v. SSU
- J. Garvin Scoop and Score v. UNC
- J. Jackson Pick 6 v. UNC
- R. Finley Pick 6 v. UNC

So our offense scored 193 total points or 38.6 PPG. Keep in mind the numbers are heavily skewed because of ONE opponent. Take out SSU, we actually scored 123 Points or 30.75 PPG.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Against P5 teams (or all that really matters): LSU and UNC

2018 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 18.0 (This includes the 7 points LSU scored on a pick 6) [Actual Points Allowed is 14.5]
Yards Allowed: 312.5
Turnovers: 3.0
Sacks: 2.5
Tackles for Loss: 12.0

2018 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 32.0 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 21.50]
Yards Gained: 348.0
Turnovers: 2.0
Sacks: 3.0
Tackles for Loss: 5.0

Advertisement
I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

So we scored 221 total points. Of those 221, the defense/STs had the following touchdowns:

- Punt Block and Return v. SSU
- J. Garvin Scoop and Score v. UNC
- J. Jackson Pick 6 v. UNC
- R. Finley Pick 6 v. UNC

So our offense scored 193 total points or 38.6 PPG. Keep in mind the numbers are heavily skewed because of ONE opponent. Take out SSU, we actually scored 123 Points or 30.75 PPG.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Against P5 teams (or all that really matters): LSU and UNC

2018 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 18.0 (This includes the 7 points LSU scored on a pick 6) [Actual Points Allowed is 14.5]
Yards Allowed: 312.5
Turnovers: 3.0
Sacks: 2.5
Tackles for Loss: 12.0

2018 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 32.0 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 21.50]
Yards Gained: 348.0
Turnovers: 2.0
Sacks: 3.0
Tackles for Loss: 5.0
I understand your rationale but the sample size for power 5 teams is too small to take away any significant meaning from it. FBS competition is significant enough to take meaning from until later in the season when we have 4-5 conference games under our belt.

Not to mention ppl like VT losing to old Dominion and Samford beating up on fsu, Wisconsin losing to BYU, etc. They play a role in a teams ability

And the logic here is flawed.. our offense did not have the chance to score more points against UNC because instead of getting the ball back after a punt we scored TD's on defense and UNC got the ball back again

Had we not scored defensive touchdowns it's safe to assume we would have scored at least 30-40 points on offense

3rd down conversion% way up on offense. Better consistency on first and second down means a lot of easy third and one Choc Gray dives. We'll continue to see improvement in offensive numbers as more teams have to respect the pass.

Defense has been generally fantastic for most of the season. They continue to emphasize turnovers and tackles for loss and it's a strategy that pays off. Anybody watching our D line miss Kool at all? I know I don't. Plus, pass defense has gotten air tight. No bum QB morphing into Tom Brady against us so far this season.

3rd down conversion% way up on offense. Better consistency on first and second down means a lot of easy third and one Choc Gray dives. We'll continue to see improvement in offensive numbers as more teams have to respect the pass.

Defense has been generally fantastic for most of the season. They continue to emphasize turnovers and tackles for loss and it's a strategy that pays off. Anybody watching our D line miss Kool at all? I know I don't. Plus, pass defense has gotten air tight. No bum QB morphing into Tom Brady against us so far this season.
We have improved over all

Advertisement
I understand your rationale but the sample size for power 5 teams is too small to take away any significant meaning from it. FBS competition is significant enough to take meaning from until later in the season when we have 4-5 conference games under our belt.

Not to mention ppl like VT losing to old Dominion and Samford beating up on fsu, Wisconsin losing to BYU, etc. They play a role in a teams ability

And the logic here is flawed.. our offense did not have the chance to score more points against UNC because instead of getting the ball back after a punt we scored TD's on defense and UNC got the ball back again

Had we not scored defensive touchdowns it's safe to assume we would have scored at least 30-40 points on offense

A few things:

1. Like I said, I am not concerned with comparing us to other teams (like I previously stated). It is early, it isn't really relevant. We all play different teams too. I am only pointing out the issues with the stats,

2. I realize it is early, I also realize two games (UNC and LSU) are an incredibly small sample size. That is why I just put it out there and that is that.

3. Please let me know if this was a serious post below...

Regardless of what the sample is...I am very pleased with the improvement on 3rd down on both sides of the ball.

I am hoping that on offense it should get even a little better with Kosi. Time will tell...but this was a huge issue last year and so far it's looking better.

Stats are also skewed when you take a game like FIU where at some point in the 3rd Q, FIU has 0 pts and like 50 yds of total offense. We then empty the bench and they made the stat sheet respectable.

A few things:

1. Like I said, I am not concerned with comparing us to other teams (like I previously stated). It is early, it isn't really relevant. We all play different teams too. I am only pointing out the issues with the stats,

2. I realize it is early, I also realize two games (UNC and LSU) are an incredibly small sample size. That is why I just put it out there and that is that.

3. Please let me know if this was a serious post below...

I wasn't trying to be argumentative...

But yes look at the amount of offensive plays we had. It's common sense to realize when a ST or defensive touchdown occurs, the offense doesn't get snaps they normally would

So to fault the offense for not scoring more points when they got less opportunity to do so due to the defensive success doesn't really provide context

Advertisement
Back