Team Stats (Through 10/17)

I wasn't trying to be argumentative...

But yes look at the amount of offensive plays we had. It's common sense to realize when a ST or defensive touchdown occurs, the offense doesn't get snaps they normally would

So to fault the offense for not scoring more points when they got less opportunity to do so due to the defensive success doesn't really provide context

1. You know forcing TOs lead to more/faster opportunities to score too? We had 8 TOs during those games (UNC and LSU). 3 were instant TDs (the D scored on the TO) so that is 5 additional opportunities to put up points.

2. Speaking of "logic", how does 3 additional drives (the 3 TDs the D had against UNC) lead to 30-40 points? At most that is 21 points.

3. Also, there is no guarantee we score any points on those additional drives. We could score more points but there is no guarantee that we score any. Also, if we do score points, there is no guarantee it is a TD.

Here is a breakdown: We had 22 Offensive Drives during the LSU and UNC Games.

- 2 of those 22 Drives were drives to end the half/end the game, so those don't count as real offensive drives. That leaves us with 20 Offensive Drives.
- Of those 20 Offensive Drives, we scored on 8 of them or 40% of the time.
- 5 of those 8 scoring drives were TDs, the other 3 were FGs. So there was a 25% chance we would score a TD and 15% chance we would score a FG.

So if the D didn't score on those 3 drives and gave the offense 3 more opportunities:

- There is a 40% chance we score on those 3 drives (using both the UNC and LSU game).
- If you're only discussing the UNC game (we scored 5/8 drives), there would be a 63% chance we score on those 3 drives.
- On those 5 scoring drives (against UNC), there were 3 TDs and 2 FGs. So there is a 38% chance we score a TD and a 25% chance we score a FG.

4. "Fault" the offense? Read my first post. I was only correcting the numbers, which I did.

Advertisement
3rd down conversion% way up on offense. Better consistency on first and second down means a lot of easy third and one Choc Gray dives. We'll continue to see improvement in offensive numbers as more teams have to respect the pass.

Defense has been generally fantastic for most of the season. They continue to emphasize turnovers and tackles for loss and it's a strategy that pays off. Anybody watching our D line miss Kool at all? I know I don't. Plus, pass defense has gotten air tight. No bum QB morphing into Tom Brady against us so far this season.
Man, our D line, especially interior, is playing better. Richt hired a beast of a coach in Simpson.

1. You know forcing TOs lead to more/faster opportunities to score too? We had 8 TOs during those games (UNC and LSU). 3 were instant TDs (the D scored on the TO) so that is 5 additional opportunities to put up points.

2. Speaking of "logic", how does 3 additional drives (the 3 TDs the D had against UNC) lead to 30-40 points? At most that is 21 points.

3. Also, there is no guarantee we score any points on those additional drives. We could score more points but there is no guarantee that we score any. Also, if we do score points, there is no guarantee it is a TD.

Here is a breakdown: We had 22 Offensive Drives during the LSU and UNC Games.

- 2 of those 22 Drives were drives to end the half/end the game, so those don't count as real offensive drives. That leaves us with 20 Offensive Drives.
- Of those 20 Offensive Drives, we scored on 8 of them or 40% of the time.
- 5 of those 8 scoring drives were TDs, the other 3 were FGs. So there was a 25% chance we would score a TD and 15% chance we would score a FG.

So if the D didn't score on those 3 drives and gave the offense 3 more opportunities:

- There is a 40% chance we score on those 3 drives (using both the UNC and LSU game).
- If you're only discussing the UNC game (we scored 5/8 drives), there would be a 63% chance we score on those 3 drives.
- On those 5 scoring drives (against UNC), there were 3 TDs and 2 FGs. So there is a 38% chance we score a TD and a 25% chance we score a FG.

4. "Fault" the offense? Read my first post. I was only correcting the numbers, which I did.

To #2.
Well we had 26 on O right(47 pts - 3 defensive TDS). So 3 more drives could have led to up to 21 more points making it up to 47 total for the game. I didn't say we would score those but I can't say " The offense ONLY scored 26 against UNC" when there's extrapolating factors that dictated the game and why we only scored 26.

Keep in mind being up so many points because of the defense, we let off the gas dramatically and ran the clock out. We only threw it 12 times. We won't see that happen again all year.

The rest of the discussion is really subjective based on a very small sample size of LSU, a top 5 team,on opening night, on the road, with more importantly... a different qb then we had for UNC so I'm not sure they correlate to the same likeliness of success or production of points going forward

Either way, I think the important thing to take from it is the team is out performing last year's team and that's what has me excited. Last year UNC arguably outplayed us on the LOS, not the case this year.

As we get further in the season we'll have a lot more context on how we perform with Perry at the helm..which has been just 2 games. We've only faced 2 power 5 opponents to your point, although Toledo is most certainly better than UNC so I'm not sure power 5 is the best indicator when talking about low end ACC opponents

I appreciate the arguments you guys are making, but I think the games we play are who we are and we shouldn't be looking at partial stats. Yeah, we let FIU have some points/yds and yeah the O didn't play as aggressively once we were up against UNC. Yes SSU and FIU are not great measuring sticks.

But when you put all that together, I think it's gives you as accurate a picture of who we are as is possible at this point in the season.

Advertisement
It seems that you're defending and making excuses for the offense. Not sure why.

I was only putting the stats in context, as I previously stated because our offense is NOT putting up those numbers.

To #2.
Well we had 26 on O right(47 pts - 3 defensive TDS). So 3 more drives could have led to up to 21 more points making it up to 47 total for the game. I didn't say we would score those but I can't say " The offense ONLY scored 26 against UNC" when there's extrapolating factors that dictated the game and why we only scored 26.

Yes, the offense ONLY scored 26 points because they ONLY scored 26 points. Against UNC, the D forced 6 TOs. 3 TOs were instant TDs on the D. The other 3 TOs were additional and faster possessions/opportunities for the O. It goes both ways.

Keep in mind being up so many points because of the defense, we let off the gas dramatically and ran the clock out. We only threw it 12 times. We won't see that happen again all year.

Remember, the LSU game is included in the stats. Sometimes you take your foot off the gas, sometimes you struggle all game. A team is not required to take the foot off the gas.

As for the UNC game, we only threw it 12 times because our run game was really strong. We were averaging 6.7 YPC.

The rest of the discussion is really subjective based on a very small sample size of LSU, a top 5 team,on opening night, on the road, with more importantly... a different qb then we had for UNC so I'm not sure they correlate to the same likeliness of success or production of points going forward

1. I never said it was a big sample. I just said those were all that really matters (against real competition).

2. Stop with the excuses about LSU. It was not a road game, it was neutral site. We weren't playing in Baton Rouge.

3. That was the same offense that we saw last year that we saw against LSU.

4. As for success going forward, we will see at the end of the year.

Either way, I think the important thing to take from it is the team is out performing last year's team and that's what has me excited. Last year UNC arguably outplayed us on the LOS, not the case this year.

Speaking of making a big deal about a small sample, wow.

UNC is awful. UNC was awful last year. We should dominate them in all aspects.

As we get further in the season we'll have a lot more context on how we perform with Perry at the helm..which has been just 2 games. We've only faced 2 power 5 opponents to your point, although Toledo is most certainly better than UNC so I'm not sure power 5 is the best indicator when talking about low end ACC opponents

Toledo is not a good opponent. I think the best way to tell if a team is improving, on defense and offense, is to remove as many variables as possible. That is why you should compare the 8 conference games to each other.

Below are the actual stats of just ACC play.

2016 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 21.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs TD against Pitt, the 100 Yard Return) [Actual Points Allowed is 20.875]
Yards Allowed: 397.75
Turnovers: 1.5
Sacks: 2.5
Tackles for Loss: 6.75

2016 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 29.38 (This includes the 14 points the D scored against GT, 2 Fumble TDs) [Actual Points Scored is 27.625]
Yards Gained: 394.13
Turnovers: .63
Sacks: 2
Tackles for Loss: 5.5

2017 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 18.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs onside kick flop against GT) [Actual Points Allowed is 17.875]
Yards Allowed: 368.25
Turnovers: 2.75
Sacks: 3.75
Tackles for Loss: 8.75

2017 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 27.125 (This includes the 7 points the D scored against UVA, Johnson Pick 6) [Actual Points Scored is 26.25]
Yards Gained: 392.625
Turnovers: 1.25
Sacks: 2.375
Tackles for Loss: 5.375

----- (Through UNC)

2018 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 10.0 [Actual Points Allowed is 10.0]
Yards Allowed: 329
Turnovers: 6.0
Sacks: 3.0
Tackles for Loss: 14.0

2018 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 47.0 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 26.00]
Yards Gained: 354
Turnovers: 2
Tackles for Loss: 6

Last edited:
I appreciate the arguments you guys are making, but I think the games we play are who we are and we shouldn't be looking at partial stats. Yeah, we let FIU have some points/yds and yeah the O didn't play as aggressively once we were up against UNC. Yes SSU and FIU are not great measuring sticks.

But when you put all that together, I think it's gives you as accurate a picture of who we are as is possible at this point in the season.

Please note, when I made my original post I started with the following: I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

And those stats aren't accurate, that was the point. Our offense didn't score 47 points against UNC, they scored 26 points. Our D scored 21 points. Just like our D didn't let up 33 points against LSU, they let up 26.

As for the stuff in bold, I don't see how beating SSU 77-0 does anything. I don't see how beating these non P-5 teams by an average of 39 Points matters. But then again, it only is a partial season.

Please note, when I made my original post I started with the following: I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

And those stats aren't accurate, that was the point. Our offense didn't score 47 points against UNC, they scored 26 points. Our D scored 21 points. Just like our D didn't let up 33 points against LSU, they let up 26.

As for the stuff in bold, I don't see how beating SSU 77-0 does anything. I don't see how beating these non P-5 teams by an average of 39 Points matters. But then again, it only is a partial season.
FPI and other rating systems such as FEI take stock in how bad you beat up bad opponents. I provided numbers only against FBS opponents and numbers against ALL to make it as subjective as possible while including both cases.

if you're antsy because we've only played 3 power 5 teams now then i can't help you, i guess you shouldn't look at stats until the offseason then if you want full context

Advertisement
FPI and other rating systems such as FEI take stock in how bad you beat up bad opponents. I provided numbers only against FBS opponents and numbers against ALL to make it as subjective as possible while including both cases.

if you're antsy because we've only played 3 power 5 teams now then i can't help you, i guess you shouldn't look at stats until the offseason then if you want full context

I am repeating my same post because nothing you said negates my post:

---------------------------------- Here are the updated stats (ACC Only)

Points Allowed: 21.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs TD against Pitt, the 100 Yard Return) [Actual Points Allowed is 20.875]

Points Scored: 29.38 (This includes the 14 points the D scored against GT, 2 Fumble TDs) [Actual Points Scored is 27.625]

Points Allowed: 18.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs onside kick flop against GT) [Actual Points Allowed is 17.875]

Points Scored: 27.125 (This includes the 7 points the D scored against UVA, Johnson Pick 6) [Actual Points Scored is 26.25]

----- (Through UNC and FSU)

Points Allowed: 18.5 (This includes the 7 points ST allowed on a Punt Return against FSU) [Actual Points Allowed is 15.0]
Yards Allowed: 264.5
Turnovers: 4.0
Sacks: 4.5
Tackles for Loss: 13.0

Points Scored: 37.5 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 27.00]
Yards Gained: 330
Sacks: 3.5
Tackles for Loss: 9.5

The Defense Had the Following Touchdowns in 2018:

UNC: 21 Points, J. Garvin Scoop and Score, J. Jackson Pick 6, R. Finley Pick 6

Other Plays:

FSU: FSU had a Punt Return TD, this is not on the D

Offense

Scoring Offense:
vs ALL: #20 nationally at 41.5 ppg
vs FBS: #34 nationally at 34.4 ppg

I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

So we scored 249 total points. Of those 249, the defense/STs had the following touchdowns:

- Punt Block and Return v. SSU
- J. Garvin Scoop and Score v. UNC
- J. Jackson Pick 6 v. UNC
- R. Finley Pick 6 v. UNC

So our offense scored 221 total points or ~36.84 PPG. Keep in mind the numbers are heavily skewed because of ONE opponent. Take out SSU, we actually scored 151 Points or 30.2 PPG.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Against P5 teams (or all that really matters): LSU, UNC and FSU

Points Allowed: 23.33 (This includes the 7 points LSU scored on a pick 6 and 7 points FSU had on a punt return) [Actual Points Allowed is 18.67]
Yards Allowed: 275.00
Turnovers: 2.67
Sacks: 3.67
Tackles for Loss: 11.33

Points Scored: 30.67 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 23.67]
Yards Gained: 334.00
Turnovers: 1.67
Tackles for Loss: 8.33

I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

Below is just a comparison of our performance during ACC play.

----- (Through UNC, FSU and UVA)

Points Allowed: 17.7 (This includes the 7 points ST allowed on a Punt Return against FSU) [Actual Points Allowed is 15.3]
Yards Allowed: 253.3
Turnovers: 3.7
Sacks: 4.3
Tackles for Loss: 11.7

Points Scored: 29.3 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 22.3]
Yards Gained: 333
Turnovers: 2.0
Sacks: 3.0
Tackles for Loss: 7.3

Advertisement
Thanks for this. That’s good homework right there. Honestly outside of the final score, the LSU game was much closer than anyone outside would like to admit.

Ive reflected back on that 45 yard field goal that Baxa missed. If he hits that we have the lead. I tend to believe the game would have gone differently if he makes that field goal.

So we scored 249 total points. Of those 249, the defense/STs had the following touchdowns:

- Punt Block and Return v. SSU
- J. Garvin Scoop and Score v. UNC
- J. Jackson Pick 6 v. UNC
- R. Finley Pick 6 v. UNC

So our offense scored 221 total points or ~36.84 PPG. Keep in mind the numbers are heavily skewed because of ONE opponent. Take out SSU, we actually scored 151 Points or 30.2 PPG.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Against P5 teams (or all that really matters): LSU, UNC and FSU

Points Allowed: 23.33 (This includes the 7 points LSU scored on a pick 6 and 7 points FSU had on a punt return) [Actual Points Allowed is 18.67]
Yards Allowed: 275.00
Turnovers: 2.67
Tackles for Loss: 11.33

Points Scored: 30.67 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 23.67]
Yards Gained: 334.00
Turnovers: 1.67
Tackles for Loss: 8.33

"I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers."

cool, you don't have to be concerned with it. Don't check the thread then. Nobody forcing you to bro

it's a stats thread, take it however you want, no point in being so ****y about it all

"Against P5 teams (or all that really matters): LSU, UNC and FSU"
That's definitely one way to look at it, can't argue with it there, but I chose to leave that out of my numbers because there are plenty of group of 5 opponents that are better than power five opponents.

a point blank example of that is one that you included in your stat, Toledo > UNC. Am I supposed to give credit to Ohio state for beating up rutgers every year just because rutgers somehow fooled people letting them into a power 5? idk. So i felt like FBS competition was telling enough, again just my opinion.

Advertisement
Ive reflected back on that 45 yard field goal that Baxa missed. If he hits that we have the lead. I tend to believe the game would have gone differently if he makes that field goal.
crazy to imagine how different our season is right now if it weren't for that

Rosier would have never lost the job (although he deserved to at times, likely would be undefeated as a team in the top 3) who knows. All what if's though at the point

Our defense is leading the nation in a lot of categories.

Would be nice to see the offense and STs start to do something.

Our stats look better on paper than we do on the field. The defense has exceeded my expectations. The offense and special teams is another story.

Hey Bro!

cool, you don't have to be concerned with it. Don't check the thread then. Nobody forcing you to bro

it's a stats thread, take it however you want, no point in being so ****y about it all

Nobody is ****y. I am just putting them in context as they're obviously skewed.

That's definitely one way to look at it, can't argue with it there,

That is because you don't have a retort.

but I chose to leave that out of my numbers because there are plenty of group of 5 opponents that are better than power five opponents.

Nobody is ****y. I am just putting them in context as they're obviously skewed. Toledo has ZERO wins against P5 opponents, they're not good.

a point blank example of that is one that you included in your stat, Toledo > UNC. Am I supposed to give credit to Ohio state for beating up rutgers every year just because rutgers somehow fooled people letting them into a power 5? idk. So i felt like FBS competition was telling enough, again just my opinion.

This is the problem with dipchits like you who can't read. When I posted the following...I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

It is because I am NOT comparing us to OSU. I am just comparing us to us. Maybe that is why you struggle to understand a simple response.

Advertisement
Back