Team Speed

Just look fast on the field. Speed hasn't been an advantage for us in a long time. MTSU made us look slow as ****.

They did, but that one tiny receiver they had was a track guy without size who got a scholarship where he did because he didn't have size. He burns most DB's. That game was just silly on our end as there's ways defensively to make sure that doesn't happen multiple times.

Advertisement
I no longer pay attention to these times. Does it show who is faster relative to the rest of the roster? I suppose. But it has virtually no correlation to on-field speed. I remember Dee Wiggins had a ridiculous speed while he was here.

And, for context, the fastest NFL 2022 season speeds topped out at 22.11. Only 2 guys IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE got faster than 22.
Here's the difference: the two nfl were running in full pads, whereas miami players were running workouts attire.

Running fast and playing fast are two totally different things. That’s why some guys with “slow” 40 times look so much faster in games. We don’t lose games because we can’t run. We lose because guys are confused or out of position or just plain not executing. I’d venture that out overall team speed is still much better than almost every opponent we play. But it’s not a race, it’s a football game

Advertisement
MTSU was blowing by our guys while we stood still.. Those vest need to be re calibrated because Tyreek Hill hitting 22 mph but Im supposed to believe the slowest team I ever seen in cane jerseys got multiple guys running close to same speed? LMAOOO

I remember in OB they used to make it look like track meet, get this crap outta my face, we slow af.. Chris Johnson SAVE US!!!!!
No ****. That chart is a joke. Slowest UM team I've ever seen in 45 years. Yes, these athletes are better today. Just being comparable to the time they played. There may be some good timed straight line speed, but they sure played slow. I think a new offensive philosophy will help.

You could tell me this team looks so much improved, faster, bodies look in better shape, etc. I won't believe a ******* word anyone says until I see it on the field this fall. We've heard the same **** for years only to go 5-7, 6-6, 7-5.
I think everyone will rightly be rid of the 9-3 to 11-1 delusions of the past given the nadir of last season. I suspect predictions will range from 5-7 to 8-4.

Then watch this be the year that things fall in place and Miami goes 11-1.

I no longer pay attention to these times. Does it show who is faster relative to the rest of the roster? I suppose. But it has virtually no correlation to on-field speed. I remember Dee Wiggins had a ridiculous speed while he was here.

And, for context, the fastest NFL 2022 season speeds topped out at 22.11. Only 2 guys IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE got faster than 22.
Most of the data that is shown on TV has a high margin for error. The only way to get the real data is to get access to that teams Catapult software. The Catapult system uses GPS and satellites to calculate the speed (and in an indoor location there are sensor's set up all over the building)

Most of the data that is shown on TV has a high margin for error. The only way to get the real data is to get access to that teams Catapult software. The Catapult system uses GPS and satellites to calculate the speed (and in an indoor location there are sensor's set up all over the building)
Odd that such technologies are employed by a 21st century football program.

1677069501244.jpeg

Advertisement

List of the fastest players on the team:
DB Jaden Harris - 22.13 mph
QB Jacurri Brown - 22.06 mph
LB Bobby Washington - 21.96 mph
CB Chris Graves - 21.78 mph
SAF Markeith Williams - 21.61 mph
CB Davonte Brown - 21.52 mph
TE Jaleel Skinner - 21.47 mph
WR Colbie Young - 21.31 mph
Terry Roberts - 21.17 mph
Te'Cory Couch - 21.16 mph
WR Brashard Smith - 21.14 mph
CB Malik Curtis - 21.13 mph
RB Mike Periano - 21.12 mph
WR Jacolby George - 21.07 mph
RB Henry Parrish - 21.05 mph
WR Isaiah Horton - 21.02 mph
WR Jefferson Walls - 20.89 mph
EDGE Chantz Williams - 20.88 mph
CB Daryl Porter - 20.84 mph
RB Don Chaney - 20.76 mph

Is J George coming off of an off-season injury?

MTSU was blowing by our guys while we stood still.. Those vest need to be re calibrated because Tyreek Hill hitting 22 mph but Im supposed to believe the slowest team I ever seen in cane jerseys got multiple guys running close to same speed? LMAOOO

I remember in OB they used to make it look like track meet, get this crap outta my face, we slow af.. Chris Johnson SAVE US!!!!!
Great point,

Thinking slows you down, we had no idea on who is covering who all we knew was “ready break “ after that it was BLANK .

Zach Thomas:

The day I stop thinking is the day I’ll become unstoppable .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Running fast and playing fast are two totally different things. That’s why some guys with “slow” 40 times look so much faster in games. We don’t lose games because we can’t run. We lose because guys are confused or out of position or just plain not executing. I’d venture that out overall team speed is still much better than almost every opponent we play. But it’s not a race, it’s a football game

I’ll never forget when one of my all time favorite CFB & NFL players, Mr Terrell Suggs ran a **** poor 40 at his combine. @Memnon

He was asked about his 4.84 40 where scouts were questioning his athleticism; he said something to the effect of don’t worry about my 40, see my game speed. Sure enough, all he did was create unimaginable havoc from Day 1 on the field.

The problem w/ our guys r what u just said, often out of place, confused, and poor execution. I’m going to attach the MTSU highlights as exhibit A to accentuate ur point, that no matter how fast guys are listed, their reaction time is lagging; therefore, they are at an immediate disadvantage. We’re slow b/c we’re processing things slow from a football IQ standpoint.

Last edited:

List of the fastest players on the team:
DB Jaden Harris - 22.13 mph
QB Jacurri Brown - 22.06 mph
LB Bobby Washington - 21.96 mph
CB Chris Graves - 21.78 mph
SAF Markeith Williams - 21.61 mph
CB Davonte Brown - 21.52 mph
TE Jaleel Skinner - 21.47 mph
WR Colbie Young - 21.31 mph
Terry Roberts - 21.17 mph
Te'Cory Couch - 21.16 mph
WR Brashard Smith - 21.14 mph
CB Malik Curtis - 21.13 mph
RB Mike Periano - 21.12 mph
WR Jacolby George - 21.07 mph
RB Henry Parrish - 21.05 mph
WR Isaiah Horton - 21.02 mph
WR Jefferson Walls - 20.89 mph
EDGE Chantz Williams - 20.88 mph
CB Daryl Porter - 20.84 mph
RB Don Chaney - 20.76 mph
Wonder what Johnson runs , I believe hes going to be one of the fastest if not the fastest on the team

Advertisement
Those numbers are not impressive, and back when I gave more of a ****, I would post Miami's combine results (SPARQ) and how poorly this team was from an athletic perspective over the last near decade. Few good, the occasional elite athlete, but LOTS of non-NFL quality athletes that played a lot for us.

And then just watch the games...if you think our team has had good athletes on the field, idk what you're watching.

What good is it to be 4.3 and 22mph if you can’t be at the right place or unable to diagnose a play.
Maybe we can find coordinators that can maximize in all that athleticism or put that alleged football iq we hear so much about to good use.

Catching the ball would also help a great deal.
So would tackling.

Ain’t gonna do much good to run 22 mph with if you have brick hands.
4.3 as a db don’t mean sht if your man runs by you cause you thought you had safety help.
4.4 linebacker that reads the wrong play or shoots the wrong gap.

We’ve had enough speed to win the coastal.
We’ve averaged 7-8 wins for almost 20 years.
And team speed has never been the reason.
Was waiting to see this post,..or one very similar!!

I’ll never forget when one of my all time favorite CFB & NFL players, Mr Terrell Suggs ran a **** poor 40 at his combine. @Memnon

He was asked about his 4.84 40 where scouts were questioning his athleticism; he said something to the effect of don’t worry about my 40, see my game speed. Sure enough, all he did was create unimaginable havoc from Day 1 on the field.

The problem w/ our guys r what u just said, often out of place, confused, and poor execution. I’m going to attach the MTSU highlights as exhibit A to accentuate ur point, that no matter how fast guys are listed, their reaction time is lagging; therefore, they are at an immediate disadvantage. We’re slow b/c we’re processing things slow from a football IQ standpoint.

You'd have to give me a LifeWallet NIL deal to watch those highlights ever again. Ruiz, hit me up.

Advertisement
Back