Team chatter 12-13

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Gus Edwards is still eyeing a potential graduate transfer to either Rutgers or Syracuse -- it would give him the chance to be more of the main option at a program close to home. He is set to graduate in May and would not be required to sit out.

Courtel Jenkins is another name to monitor when it comes to a possible transfer. He would not be a grad transfer, but it appears he is seeking more playing time -- Rutgers is a rumored program as well.

Gerald Willis was grappling with the idea for declaring for the draft this season, but ultimately knew he doesn't have enough film yet. Source said he played the second half of the season with a torn meniscus as well.

A few bowl game suspensions for the freshmen crew is coming. None of the main contributors, though.

The sense in the locker room is that David Njoku is 100% gone to the NFL draft. He has given the team every indication that the bowl will be his final game as a Hurricane.

Advertisement
The Gus news is actually kind of good. More carries for Travis Homer.

Jenkins was probably going to fall further down the depth chart.

Advertisement
Pete, can you enlighten us on where the coaches go from here on the WR front? Are they in scramble mode at this point?

Don't mind Gus leaving tbh. Let's Homer become #2 and the freshman to be 3/4. Jenkins leaving hurts with experience depth but I think the guys coming in will be better anyway but anything can happen so it'd be better to keep him. Willis coming back is good and playing as well as he did with an injury is a crazy. Njoku leaving hurts a lot but was pretty much expected. Thanks for the Update!

Well that's confusing on Gus. I thought the move to play him over Yearby was because of the change of pace as a back. Seems like we played him to keep him on board and now he and Joe are leaving. I know Joe was going anyway but **** that leaves us a little light from the experience department. What gives Pete?

Advertisement
Courtel leaving doesn't shock me. His body language was terrible and he was in the dog house for his penalties. Got suspended at one point I think

Gus Edwards is still eyeing a potential graduate transfer to either Rutgers or Syracuse -- it would give him the chance to be more of the main option at a program close to home. He is set to graduate in May and would not be required to sit out.

12-scared-to-death-gifs.gif

Advertisement
Can't blame these guys for trying to get more playing time. This is their future and livelihood. I still have mixed feelings on NJoku leaving. He is a superb talent. Not sure if NFL scouts know that though.

Advertisement
This is all bad news. We may be high on their replacements but the fact is we need depth still

Not going to lie none of that news is too bad. Edward's leaving allows Homer and the freshman to get carries. I think those 3 have huge ceilings. And who knows may open a door for Gray to step up. I appreciate all he did and wish him the best.

Jenkins leaving I would say hurts the most just because you can never have to many good d lineman to swap out in a game so they are always fresh. But since we have so many good ones it doesn't hurt too much.

Lastly Njoku leaving hurts because he is an absolute beast but I look forward to watching him on sundays. I really think Herndon is special (watch the spring game) and now that he is going to be TE1 he could really breakout. Also gives an opportunity for the current 2016 freshman to step up.

Overall not killer loses as those positions we are deeper in than others

Advertisement
Back