TE Brandon Vandenburg sets OV to Miami

Advertisement
That guy is a great blocker.

I think it's becoming obvious a few TE's won't be returning for us.

How many TE's would we take?? We've got Travis and Standish committed. We are looking at Mattingly and Wozniak out of HS. Sandland and now Vandenburg from JUCO.

Advertisement
Al is smartly projecting body types and athleticism. He's not recruiting TEs; he's recruiting big athletic kids who could be TEs. Or they could be OL or, more importantly, DL. I'd be interested to see a study of HS TEs who went on to excel at other positions in college and/or the NFL.

Al is a shrewd cat. He might be looking at a guy like JJ T. Watt dominating the NFL and thinking that dude started out in college as a TE. Same with Warren Fapp of our beloved Canes. Did Richard Seymour at 6'6 always play DT?

Al is smartly projecting body types and athleticism. He's not recruiting TEs; he's recruiting big athletic kids who could be TEs. Or they could be OL or, more importantly, DL. I'd be interested to see a study of HS TEs who went on to excel at other positions in college and/or the NFL.

Al is a shrewd cat. He might be looking at a guy like JJ T. Watt dominating the NFL and thinking that dude started out in college as a TE. Same with Warren Fapp of our beloved Canes. Did Richard Seymour at 6'6 always play DT?

Great point

Don't forget about Mark Cooper. He cam to us from Killian as a TE and left as a second round draft choice of the Broncos.

Advertisement
CarolinaCane83 and umhurricano, the list is probably endless of HS TEs that went on to major success at other positions. It makes sense because the HS TE is usually a big kid who can run really well and is a very good athlete.

Whereas, you see some of these HS DTs and OL, and they're just big slobs who abuse small HS dudes in the trenches without giving much effort. Then, they get to the college level, and they're no longer going up against 5'10 240 pound OL named Howie Schwartz. Suddenly, the dudes they're battling are just as big as they are, so they can't rely on that inherent strength and blubber advantage to move guys around. That's what makes projecting DT and OL from HS to college such a difficult task.

Look at the bust rate of the 5 star HS DTs over the years if you need proof. Most of the great college DTs were dudes with mean streaks and athletic ability who put on significant size and strength at the collegiate level, and then wound up flourishing as juniors and seniors. Look at Nick Fairley. Non-factor until his final season at Auburn. Suh practically came out of nowhere too. He did NOTHING his first 2 or 3 years on campus at Nebraska.

So are we considering Kerr an OT at this point?

Another perfect example. I doubt that dude will finish his career as a TE. They might bring him in as a TE and then sit down and have that talk where they tell him how much LTs can make in the NFL versus big slow TEs who don't catch the football.

Advertisement
CarolinaCane83 and umhurricano, the list is probably endless of HS TEs that went on to major success at other positions. It makes sense because the HS TE is usually a big kid who can run really well and is a very good athlete.

Whereas, you see some of these HS DTs and OL, and they're just big slobs who abuse small HS dudes in the trenches without giving much effort. Then, they get to the college level, and they're no longer going up against 5'10 240 pound OL named Howie Schwartz. Suddenly, the dudes they're battling are just as big as they are, so they can't rely on that inherent strength and blubber advantage to move guys around. That's what makes projecting DT and OL from HS to college such a difficult task.

Look at the bust rate of the 5 star HS DTs over the years if you need proof. Most of the great college DTs were dudes with mean streaks and athletic ability who put on significant size and strength at the collegiate level, and then wound up flourishing as juniors and seniors. Look at Nick Fairley. Non-factor until his final season at Auburn. Suh practically came out of nowhere too. He did NOTHING his first 2 or 3 years on campus at Nebraska.

Yeah, but Howie has a great motor.

Justin Tuck was a TE as well.

Advertisement

Justin Tuck was a TE as well.

Further proof. Thank you, xFur.

I agree with you, but I don't think this is the case with JUCO tight ends.

Advertisement
Back