2024 TE Board (2024 Edition)

Advertisement
Cody Woodiel has officially been named the tight ends coach at Miami with Stephen Field taking a prominent role within the recruiting department at the executive level.

The Mississippi native who came over with Mario Cristobal from Oregon is considered a promising up-and-comer in the coaching industry, and has already proven he has the recruiting chops to attract some of the nation’s top tight ends to campus.
After reading this article and creating a couple new threads, TE is really heating up! Fields and Woodiel might be a lethal recruiting combo.

was on campus today, Michigan commit

---

After receiving an offer from Miami in May 2022, the four-star prospect made his way down to Coral Gables for the first time Tuesday morning for an unofficial visit with the Hurricanes.

“They recruited me pretty early, and I wanted to make sure I came out and gave it a look,” Hansen told CaneSport after the visit. “They just wanted me to enjoy it while I was here and come back during the summer and get another look at it all.”

Hansen, who committed to Michigan over the likes of Oregon, Washington, and Stanford in December 2022, is still firmly committed to the Wolverines but isn’t completely shutting the door on other programs just yet.

When asked what it would take for him to reassess his commitment, the Washington native could not pinpoint one thing, but said that if he gets a certain ‘feeling’ he’ll know it’s time.

“I don’t know it would just have to feel right,” Hansen said. “And if it happens, it happens. I don’t think anything in general; I’m just here looking around and will just keep exploring it from there.”

The Hurricanes have been in communication with the 6-foot-5, 200-pound tight end on a weekly basis and have begun to build a strong relationship with the No. 11 tight end in the 2024 class. Former Miami tight end coach and now off-field recruiting personnel Stephen Field has spearheaded the recruiting efforts for Hansen along with a handful of Miami staff members.

“Definitely with coach Field,” Hansen said when asked with whom he has the strongest relationship with. “I like coach Field a lot, and he’s been recruiting me throughout this whole process. I’m just getting to know the other coaches like coach Mario Cristobal.”

Hansen, the No. 153 overall prospect in the 2024 class according to the On3 Industry Rankings, loved what he saw from the Hurricanes coaches and feels he could fit in well in Coral Gables.

“I think they’re all great; I can see myself being coached by them,” Hansen said. “They’re all laid back, but at the same time know how to get on you and make sure you’re doing your job.”

During the visit, Hansen was especially pleased with the tight end group, which was led by recently promoted tight ends coach Cody Woodiel.
“I was really impressed with the tight ends,” Hansen said. “Especially the freshmen, Riley Williams and Jackson Carver. They’re getting reps and doing good out there, the tight end group looked strong out there for sure.”

When the visit was all said and done, Hansen mentioned that seeing how much the Hurricanes utilized their tight ends in their offense and how frequently they were used was his biggest takeaway from the visit and something he’ll keep in mind moving forward.

“Probably just the way that they use tight ends and how many tight ends they utilize,” Hansen added.

Advertisement

Miami is still in the process of chasing some top targets across multiple positions.

Over the course of the spring, the program was successful at getting some notable tight ends on campus and that has led to some momentum with a few key targets.

Two in particular that the Hurricanes have found some footing with are Carrollton (Ga.) Top247 tight end Caleb Odom and Las Vegas Bishop Gorman Top247 tight end Elija Lofton. InsideTheU learned that one of the first stops tight ends coach Cody Woodiel made during the spring evaluation period was to the Atlanta area to check in on Odom, the No. 5 player at his position according to 247Sports.

Coming off of the visit from Woodiel, InsideTheU learned that he plans to return to Miami next month for a second unofficial visit. At OT7 Orlando, the 6-foot-5, 215-pounder said that he had an official visit to Miami set for June 23.

“They definitely still on top. Nothing has really changed. I’m trying to get back down soon. I know I’ll get up there for an official [visit], but I still like Miami,” Odom said earlier this month.

For Lofton, who visited Miami for the first spring practice back in March, the Hurricanes are in the thick of this recruitment alongside Texas, UCLA, Arizona State, and others. Utah and Washington recently offered as well.

The 6-foot-2, 230-plus-pounder runs in the 4.6 range and has some impressive weight room numbers and that has Miami extremely intrigued. Like Odom, Lofton has a return unofficial visit set for later in May and plans to take an official visit to Miami the weekend of June 16.

Lofton draws comparisons to former Miami tight end Brevin Jordan but may be a bit thicker at this stage of the process and is a physical blocker in the run game and that makes him a great fit for what Mario Cristobal and the Hurricanes want to do.

Miami is also heavily recruiting another Peach State native in four-star athlete Amir Jackson and there is a chance that the 6-foot-4, 223-pounder returns this summer. Hiram (Ga.) Top247 tight end Walter Matthews is another who the program saw this week who they could recruit. He’s yet to visit Miami but Colorado, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State have hosted this year. Michigan was also believed to be a factor, but they have a pair of Top247 tight ends committed as of this week.

Which brings me to Hogan Hansen, the Wolverine pledge out of the state of Washington who visited Miami the last week of spring. The Hurricanes are still working in that recruitment but pulling him away from a No. 1 ranked Michigan class will be an uphill climb. There is believed to be legitimate interest.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There are still a couple targets outstanding, but so far, our priority list (with confirmed OVs appears to be)

Guessing two spots available and a lot of targets trending strongly our way. Might be a first come, first serve situation.

Advertisement
There are still a couple targets outstanding, but so far, our priority list (with confirmed OVs appears to be)

Guessing two spots available and a lot of targets trending strongly our way. Might be a first come, first serve situation.

I'm curious about the staff's pecking order here, but I assume Odom is at the top of Miami's TE board and that he'd have a spot regardless.

Jackson would be a perfect complement to Odom and we also seem to have traction with Lofton.

Advertisement
Back