TCU is proof....

TCU (and I guess teams that run the spread?) rely solely on offense? I didn't know it was an either or thing, but I guess I learn something new everyday. Impeccable logic!

Maybe you haven't seen TCU play for the last two years. Same with Baylor. Can't stop anyone, and when the offense doesn't click one day, season's over.

I don't know how I can respond to something that makes absolutely no sense and to put it nicely, stupid, but I'll try. So what you're saying is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the doom of TCU the past two seasons was their switch to the spread?

Well, first of all, TCU switched to the spread in 2014, not 2013. They entered the BIG 12 in 2012. In 2012 TCU went 7-6 and in 2013 4-8. They switched to the spread in '14 and went 12-1, barely missing the playoffs, and are 8-1 this year. Their "season" was over before it began with their putrid offenses in '12 and '13. Lets be clear here, the spread only elevated their play and their overall record, they were losing far more games before.

By the way, this spread team lost to another spread team, Oklahoma State who is currently undefeated and in contention for the playoffs. Oh and furthermore, Clemson runs the spread, has a top 5 defense. Ohio State won the chip last year, with a very good offense and defense, in case you didn't know they run the spread. Just because you run the spread doesn't mean you neglect defense. That makes no sense. TCU graduated a ton of defensive players last year and lost many more to injury this year. C'mon now.

And last point, the majority of teams will lose when their offense doesn't click. Pro style/spread/option whatever, if you're offense doesn't show up it's hard to win the game. I'm not sure how that is particular to the spread.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I love how people on here downplay the success of other programs when we haven't been relevant in over a decade. I wish our biggest problem was losing one game a year.

I love how people on here downplay the success of other programs when we haven't been relevant in over a decade. I wish our biggest problem was losing one game a year.

Same fans look for any little thing to rip other coaches about but has Butch at god status. Like he's not had a bunch of shady moments

Same fans look for any little thing to rip other coaches about but has Butch at god status. Like he's not had a bunch of shady moments

If those fans don't think Gary Patterson is good enough for UM....then who the **** is.

Advertisement
TCU has lost like half its defensive starters to season ending injury. They just don't have the depth to hold up. Doesn't mean TCU is typically an offensive minded team.

Does ANYBODY play great defense week in and week out anymore?

No.

But we don't talk about that. Just like when a spread team loses it means the spread sucks, but a pro / multiple offense loses it's crickets.

Some of the arguments on here are idiotic

Advertisement

If those fans don't think Gary Patterson is good enough for UM....then who the **** is.

They think every one sucks and the only person is Butch. They even think Butch could have had the TCU job or the Florida job or that he is even going to turn down the Texas and USC job. He has been turning people down that have been busting his door down for years because he was waiting for this shot.

Patterson makes 3.5, offer him 4. You've got to at least call him and make him say no

Last edited:
Advertisement
Patterson makes 3.5, offer him 4. You've got to at least call him and make him say know

Patterson made $3.94 2 years ago. I think it's a safe bet that he makes well over $4 now.

Oops, I googled it but it was from 2012. I've read a bunch of different numbers

I'd still call, you never know. You should always call , even if you figure it's a no .

Last edited:
Advertisement
He'll never get the depth and talent he needs to win a National Championship at TCU.

He should consider Miami.

Be able to run the ball when you have to and have a stout D.

Recruit and develop.

Win championships.

TCU finished 1st is total defense 3 years in a row 2008-2010. They finished in the top 25 in total defense 9 out of the previous 10 years. This year is clearly an anomaly.

Gary Patterson is about as solid as it gets for a HC.

Advertisement
Back