TCU doesn’t know how to recruit

they run an offense that can do “more with less”. if they ran the offense we do they’d be lucky to win 7 games.
I’ll never understand how Mario can watch the film of the offense and not find a OC who wants to spread things out get matchups and use the speed we can recruit. You want balance that’s fine. But don’t run things an offense that was explosive can’t run and turn the group into a weakness

Advertisement
I’ll never understand how Mario can watch the film of the offense and not find a OC who wants to spread things out get matchups and use the speed we can recruit. You want balance that’s fine. But don’t run things an offense that was explosive can’t run and turn the group into a weakness

100% agree. Those UTn and TCU offenses just looked so much more fluid than what Oregon or Michigan were doing. Norvell is doing he same thing with lesser talent (IMO) than what we have at Miami. If Mario hires another Big 10 "pro set" only type OC to replace Gattis, I'll be super disappointed.

I want Miami to be multiple. I understand why Mario wants his players impose their will and pound the rock when needed. But the base offense needs to create more space so his playmakers have room to run. Bunch sets with RB/FB dives should be used sparingly and with precision, not as a default.

100% agree. Those UTn and TCU offenses just looked so much more fluid than what Oregon or Michigan were doing. Norvell is doing he same thing with lesser talent (IMO) than what we have at Miami. If Mario hires another Big 10 "pro set" only type OC to replace Gattis, I'll be super disappointed.

I want Miami to be multiple. I want them to be able to impose their will and pound the rock when needed. But the base offense needs to create more space so your playmakers have room to run.
You can still pound the ball in ways with a spread look. Especially with the Tight ends we have like Williams. Miami needs the Thornton kid on the outside badly. I’m terrified Mario ain’t changing OCs

You can still pound the ball in ways with a spread look. Especially with the Tight ends we have like Williams. Miami needs the Thornton kid on the outside badly. I’m terrified Mario ain’t changing OCs

Nah, he'll make the change. People getting freaked out for nothing there.

Advertisement
Player development, PLUS guys staying for 4-5 years can overcome a lack of top end stars. That said, you also have to hit on your evals at a high rate, to make up for the fact that you don't have ready made stars coming in. However, TCU is an OUTLIER. I know our fans have difficulty understanding what an OUTLIER is , so I'm going to provide a definition.

out·li·er
/ˈoutˌlī(ə)r/
noun
a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.
"less accessible islands and outliers"
a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.
"an outlier in Faulkner's body of work"

You look at the typical playoff team, they are rarely as mediocre in overall recruiting as TCU, in fact, it's rare that a program is consistently outside the Top 15 in the rankings makes a CFP appearance. Just like in the NFL, you are much more likely to find your franchise QB in the first round, compared to the 6th, but you always have someone screaming "Joe Montana and Tom Brady weren't drafted early", forgetting that the bulk of good QBs drafted in the last 40 years were usually taken in the top 2 rounds. Outliers don't disprove a rule, they only prove that in any dataset, that someone will be outside the standard deviation.
They aren’t an outlier. This isn’t professional sports. You can’t compare one year to another. You must not have watched them play any this season. They were the best team outside of UGA. They played 10 straight weeks without a bye against a pretty tough schedule. Michigan played nobody and got exposed tonight. Stop looking at records and final results and watch the games.

OSU was also better than Michigan.

Gibbs was highly recruited bro, he was an all American back and top 100 player lol he chose GT because he legit liked the school

Pretty sure Gibbs committed to GT b/c he was flying under the radar b4 his Sr season, & former GT great Tashard Choice was on him, first, b4 he blew up. He stayed loyal to his commitment b/c of that relationship. Part of the reason he transferred is b/c Choice took the UT job as RB coach.

Orrrrrrr, if u wanna run tight formations, learn how to run zone blocking, & involve motion. Again, The 49ers run the most tight formations in the NFL, yet Shanahan schemes it up appropriately, & create balance where his QBs don’t need to be heroes. Easy plays for Deebo & Aiyuk, & mucho running lanes for CMac & Mitchell.

There’s no way in **** our offense had to look that archaic. Legit, that wasn’t even some chit from the 90’s or 80’s…that was something from the 1910’s & 20’s.

Advertisement
Orrrrrrr, if u wanna run tight formations, learn how to run zone blocking, & involve motion. Again, The 49ers run the most tight formations in the NFL, yet Shanahan schemes it up appropriately, & create balance where his QBs don’t need to be heroes. Easy plays for Deebo & Aiyuk, & mucho running lanes for CMac & Mitchell.

There’s no way in **** our offense had to look that archaic. Legit, that wasn’t even some chit from the 90’s or 80’s…that was something from the 1910’s & 20’s.
We’ll finally have the players to accomplish this , I excited to see a game plan executed, it must have tuff for coaching staff to see there game plan tank and fall apart each week on the field.

GOCANES

Did they just show upas studs or were they developed as studs.

Here’s an example. Dan Morgan was a fullback in HS. Was asked due to depth issues to play LBer. The Chimp and Pagano along of course with Dan’s own motivation turned him into the most award winning LBer in CFB history.
Dan was All County as a RB, LBer and Safety in HS, not just RB. Chuck wasn't instrumental with Dan. Shannon and Bill Miller were. Schiano came 2yrs later. Shannon was LBer coach during Dan's early yrs at UM...Before going to the Dolphins.

They aren’t an outlier. This isn’t professional sports. You can’t compare one year to another. You must not have watched them play any this season. They were the best team outside of UGA. They played 10 straight weeks without a bye against a pretty tough schedule. Michigan played nobody and got exposed tonight. Stop looking at records and final results and watch the games.

OSU was also better than Michigan.
I really thought Harbaugh did a lousy job yesterday. First drive a trick play on fourth and goal at the 2. Going for two when kicking the point would have made it an 11 point game. Blitzed too much and Duggan made them pay. Then throw in way too many bad plays 2 picks sixes and the fumble after the long pass inside the one that was called a TD and reversed. It looked to me like Michigan came in over confident and TCU played a more physical game.

Advertisement
I really thought Harbaugh did a lousy job yesterday. First drive a trick play on fourth and goal at the 2. Going for two when kicking the point would have made it an 11 point game. Blitzed too much and Duggan made them pay. Then throw in way too many bad plays 2 picks sixes and the fumble after the long pass inside the one that was called a TD and reversed. It looked to me like Michigan came in over confident and TCU played a more physical game.

TCU's speed outdid Michigan yesterday.

TCU has the most speed of any team in the playoffs.

He wanna be our OC? 🤣

Advertisement

Everyone copies Shanahan. That one fake screen play he ran with Kittle catching that TD against Seattle, I've seen that play in the NFL and College on numerous occasions straight afterwards.

There is a lot being said in this thread, but let's not ignore the fact that TCU for years has recruited hard working players that buy into the program completely.

Case in point thier true freshman NT Damonic Williams was chiefly responsible for dominating Michigan's oline. This 6'2 330lbs 18 year old with 20% body fat, put on clinic against UMich's award winning oline in the Fiesta bowl.

Go Canes

Player development, PLUS guys staying for 4-5 years can overcome a lack of top end stars. That said, you also have to hit on your evals at a high rate, to make up for the fact that you don't have ready made stars coming in. However, TCU is an OUTLIER. I know our fans have difficulty understanding what an OUTLIER is , so I'm going to provide a definition.

out·li·er
/ˈoutˌlī(ə)r/
noun
a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.
"less accessible islands and outliers"
a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.
"an outlier in Faulkner's body of work"

You look at the typical playoff team, they are rarely as mediocre in overall recruiting as TCU, in fact, it's rare that a program is consistently outside the Top 15 in the rankings makes a CFP appearance. Just like in the NFL, you are much more likely to find your franchise QB in the first round, compared to the 6th, but you always have someone screaming "Joe Montana and Tom Brady weren't drafted early", forgetting that the bulk of good QBs drafted in the last 40 years were usually taken in the top 2 rounds. Outliers don't disprove a rule, they only prove that in any dataset, that someone will be outside the standard deviation.
Yes TCU is an outlier. They are the best case scenario of coaching getting the most out of its roster.

But whether it’s TCU or Utah or Pitt or countless others, they all prove that in many instances, coaching can play a bigger role and that while yes I’m beating a dead horse, 5-7 last year was an F- performance.

Getting top 5 recruiting classes just to have a ceiling of 9 - 10 wins would be massively disappointing.

Advertisement
Back