TCU doesn’t know how to recruit

Applecane

Recruit
Premium
We obsess over recruiting rankings and not without reason. But look at these paltry TCU numbers:
Class rankings
2019. 32
2020. 24
2021. 46
2022. 34

Better this year:
2023. 18

Guess coaching can compensate for mediocrity on the recruiting trail…

Advertisement
tenor.gif

Advertisement
We obsess over recruiting rankings and not without reason. But look at these paltry TCU numbers:
Class rankings
2019. 32
2020. 24
2021. 46
2022. 34

Better this year:
2023. 18

Guess coaching can compensate for mediocrity on the recruiting trail…
Coaching is always the ether. I’ve seen a team have a losing record one year and have a much better year the next with a different coach. You can have the best ingredients for a recipe( recruits), but if you don’t really know how to really put them together , you will never be a master chef( elite coach).

For better or worse this situation like the Duke HC is a situation where coaches no they need to win now and start stacking success instead of Mario who has a very lengthy contract who is assured many years of leash time…

“Building it right..” takes time and that’s what Mario wanted and that’s what we gave him..

Advertisement
Every year in the playoff at least one or two teams get steamrolled, but it always happens to the team with a recruiting average far below the other three. Maybe it works out for tcu tomorrow but I wouldn't count on it. At the end of the day it's about putting together a complete package and the horses are the biggest part.

Great coaching for sure
they also struck gold in the transfer portal

…and have a monster stud QB (gamer) and one of the best receivers in the college (got the goods with this one)

For better or worse this situation like the Duke HC is a situation where coaches no they need to win now and start stacking success instead of Mario who has a very lengthy contract who is assured many years of leash time…

“Building it right..” takes time and that’s what Mario wanted and that’s what we gave him..

You know what assures many years, winning.

Building it right doesn't take time, plenty of coaches showed that this year. They took what they had and built it right for this season. They'll build on that next season as well although TCU will be hard pressed to duplicate this year's run.

TCU, 7 wins better to this point.

Duke, 6 wins better on the season.

Us, 2 wins worse.

By any objective measure, two coaches did an outstanding job. The other guy, not so much. Mario won't have much time if he keeps falling flat on his face for another season or two. Keep Gattis and start off next year like this year and the pitchforks will be out.

Advertisement
The Big 12 and PAC 10 have not been strong conferences over the last decade or so…. I fully expect TCU to get waxed tomorrow. Coaching does matter, but recruiting, based on history, matters more…

You don't have to suck now to win later, Mario has done bad outside of recruiting

Advertisement

Building it right doesn't take time, plenty of coaches showed that this year. They took what they had and built it right for this season. They'll build on that next season as well although TCU will be hard pressed to duplicate this year's run.

Us, 2 wins worse.

By any objective measure, two coaches did an outstanding job. The other guy, not so much. Mario won't have much time if he keeps falling flat on his face for another season or two. Keep Gattis and start off next year like this year and the pitchforks will be out.
Oh I agree… that’s why I said for better or worse this is what we set ourselves up for and it seems Mario doesn’t have a quick fire in his *** to produce “right now”

Us, 2 wins worse.

Here’s how the P5 coaching changes panned out for 2022 (& if I’m missing someone, pls let me know):

Miami: Diaz (7-5) vs. Cristobal (5-7)

OU: Riley (11-2) vs. Venables (6-7)

UVA: Mendenhall (6-6) vs. Elliot (3-7)

VT: Fuentes (6-7) vs. Pry (3-8)

UO: Cristobal (10-3) vs. Lanning (10-3)

TCU: Patterson (3-5) vs. Dykes (12-1)

UW: Lake (4-5) vs. DeBoer (11-2)

USC: Helton (1-1) vs. Riley (11-2)

TT: Wells (7-6) vs. McGuire (8-5)

UF: Mullen (6-7) vs. Napier (6-7)

Out of all the coaches who had previous coaching experience, Mario was by far the worst, & we played like it, too.

Again, I’ve been very critical of the talent level here, questioned certain offers by the previous regime b/c I don’t go by str8 star rankings (I’ve been around recruiting for far too long to use my eyes vs. some geeks looking at measurable & cut up highlights). Even with that being said, I knew we would struggle yr 1 b/c of it, but not to the tune of 5-7. That staff change needs to happen. If we continue on w/ “innovative” Gattis, then that pitchfork that stays tucked under the seat will be sharpened.

Advertisement
Back