TCU doesn’t know how to recruit

Advertisement
We obsess over recruiting rankings and not without reason. But look at these paltry TCU numbers:
Class rankings
2019. 32
2020. 24
2021. 46
2022. 34

Better this year:
2023. 18

Guess coaching can compensate for mediocrity on the recruiting trail…
Coaching and getting lucky in the portal. I mean it’s one thing to get lightening in a bottle and make the CFP ex: TCU, Cincy one year wonders, as oppose to sustain success. But TCU has to live this way as UT, A&M, and OU will get the lion share of the top Texas recruits. Miami being in the State of Miami and Florida should not.

So what does "building it right" mean these days?
With roster fluidity thanks to NILs-Transport Portal landscape, it may not be worth time and effort in building anything for the long term.
Thinking should be along the lines of "building it now". Specifically, work and win with what you have now.
So the FSU model then

Advertisement
We obsess over recruiting rankings and not without reason. But look at these paltry TCU numbers:
Class rankings
2019. 32
2020. 24
2021. 46
2022. 34

Better this year:
2023. 18

Will they win a title though? That’s the end goal, those rankings won’t give u a title and they will be a team who plays well for a few seasons then back to the bottom, same like ucf and Cincinnati and others. Unsustainable and we are UM we aim higher, let Mario stack rosters and these threads won’t exist anymore

Lane Kiffen can do everything including recruiting they should fire there coach and get him and instantly be great.

Advertisement
How many recruiting heavyweights did they play? Texas and OU? And both of those teams were in a rebuilding mode this year.
There is something to be said for consistent winning, even if they didn’t beat top tier teams. They won the games they should have won, something I wish the Canes would do.

I’ve bet against TCU today but they would have killed us this year, despite our much higher recruiting rankings.

Here’s how the P5 coaching changes panned out for 2022 (& if I’m missing someone, pls let me know):

Miami: Diaz (7-5) vs. Cristobal (5-7)

OU: Riley (11-2) vs. Venables (6-7)

UVA: Mendenhall (6-6) vs. Elliot (3-7)

VT: Fuentes (6-7) vs. Pry (3-8)

UO: Cristobal (10-3) vs. Lanning (10-3)

TCU: Patterson (3-5) vs. Dykes (12-1)

UW: Lake (4-5) vs. DeBoer (11-2)

USC: Helton (1-1) vs. Riley (11-2)

TT: Wells (7-6) vs. McGuire (8-5)

UF: Mullen (6-7) vs. Napier (6-7)

Out of all the coaches who had previous coaching experience, Mario was by far the worst, & we played like it, too.

Again, I’ve been very critical of the talent level here, questioned certain offers by the previous regime b/c I don’t go by str8 star rankings (I’ve been around recruiting for far too long to use my eyes vs. some geeks looking at measurable & cut up highlights). Even with that being said, I knew we would struggle yr 1 b/c of it, but not to the tune of 5-7. That staff change needs to happen. If we continue on w/ “innovative” Gattis, then that pitchfork that stays tucked under the seat will be sharpened.
OU had a significant drop off. The big context I think this is missing is the talent level each outgoing coach left. Because by that measure, Mario left good talent at OU. Diaz didn’t leave enough quality, and we underestimated the impact that Harley and Rambo provided us. We would have swapped out any two wrs for those two this year.

I do agree that Gattis amplified the impact of declining WR talent we had and made us extremely one dimensional.

That said, I think there is something to discuss when it comes to talking about the impact a coach can have on the culture. Look at TCU for example. Patterson had grown stale at TCU. You bring in an offensive mind in Dykes and boom, you see that turnarounds can happen quick.

Mario needs to understand that while building a dynasty takes years, a couple good hires can instantly change the vibe and culture on a team. Bring in an offensive mind to replace Gattis and you should expect to see results pretty quickly. Especially as we start to groom those offensive lineman.

There is something to be said for consistent winning, even if they didn’t beat top tier teams. They won the games they should have won, something I wish the Canes would do.

I’ve bet against TCU today but they would have killed us this year, despite our much higher recruiting rankings.

Sure. Beating the teams you’re suppose to beat and winning the majority of your 50-50 games speaks volumes to how good a coaching job a staff does.

But it’s not a path to being truly elite. Only elite recruiting allows that.

Advertisement
OU had a significant drop off. The big context I think this is missing is the talent level each outgoing coach left. Because by that measure, Mario left good talent at OU. Diaz didn’t leave enough quality, and we underestimated the impact that Harley and Rambo provided us. We would have swapped out any two wrs for those two this year.

I do agree that Gattis amplified the impact of declining WR talent we had and made us extremely one dimensional.

That said, I think there is something to discuss when it comes to talking about the impact a coach can have on the culture. Look at TCU for example. Patterson had grown stale at TCU. You bring in an offensive mind in Dykes and boom, you see that turnarounds can happen quick.

Mario needs to understand that while building a dynasty takes years, a couple good hires can instantly change the vibe and culture on a team. Bring in an offensive mind to replace Gattis and you should expect to see results pretty quickly. Especially as we start to groom those offensive lineman.

I'm confused. Bad confused.

I somehow missed - our ONE offensive dimension. What offensive dimension?

Somebody - help me?

LIke Spaceballs - the team using the pik in the desert replied, "WE AIN'T SEEN * * * *!

That's me!

Boy, I bet the Wolverines are missing Gattis now, eh? 😬

Advertisement
The Big 12 and PAC 10 have not been strong conferences over the last decade or so…. I fully expect TCU to get waxed tomorrow. Coaching does matter, but recruiting, based on history, matters more…

Well guess I was wrong… But in my defense Michigan’s offense is hot garbage… Almost as bad as ours

Class rankings
2019. 32
2020. 24
2021. 46
2022. 34

Better this year:
2023. 18

Dumb. More than half their starters are portal guys and they have a 25th year senior QB who has started 4,000 games.

Advertisement
Back