Tawfiq Thomas 2022 NT from Tampa

Advertisement
Exactly fam, if I'm talking one of these body types it's gotta be Tarber. Better movement skills. Thomas doesn't seem to have the scheme versatility that Tarber has. I'd definitely feel more comfortable playing Tarber in a 4-3 front than Thomas(who can be a Dalvin Tomlinson type in a few years)...
I dont think anyone thinks he is a Plan A kid. But he isnt a bad Plan B in case our top 3 dont go the way we think. (Cleveland, Tarbor, Homestead/South Dade DT...cant remember his name)

A big reason for bamas success is quickness and size on the dl where they can control the line of scrimmage...this player might work out after a couple of years of Simpson...
A big reason for Bama’s success is they’ve had the #1 recruiting class in the country like 2 out of every 3 years, and aren’t below #5 any year.

They run a totally different scheme than Manny. But even within that, their DTs are still slimmer and quicker than a 350 lb NG. Most of Alabama’s DL would do fine as the 1 tech in our D and some as the 3 tech. No judgment on this specific kid in this thread but unless it’s vince wilfork we’re talking about, I don’t see us using a monster 0/1 tech all that effectively. This kid can move, but not that quickly. Wilfork exploded out of his stande or position like a fast twitch guy 100 lbs lighter than he was.

Advertisement
Lol that's not how football works. The DL coach doesn't get to choose alignments. He coaches within the Coordinators scheme.
You missed my point. Jess won't dictate schemes per se, but he **** sure has input on the type of kid he wants to bring in for the DL.

This kid is not the traditional UM DT recruit, but I think Jess could make him effective in our alignments. Would I want a switch to a 3-4? Nope. We don't have the personnel to run it, and it would take years for us to make it effective. Not worth it.

But none of that means we shouldn't take a look at the kid. He's a monster, and Jess could definitely make him work in our scheme.

You missed my point. Jess won't dictate schemes per se, but he **** sure has input on the type of kid he wants to bring in for the DL.

This kid is not the traditional UM DT recruit, but I think Jess could make him effective in our alignments. Would I want a switch to a 3-4? Nope. We don't have the personnel to run it, and it would take years for us to make it effective. Not worth it.

But none of that means we shouldn't take a look at the kid. He's a monster, and Jess could definitely make him work in our scheme.
Let's compare him to our most recent player most similar to him. Norton? I haven't seen test numbers but I don't think he has the movement skills that Norton had. Atleast to the naked eye. He just seems to be more of a scheme fit elsewhere.

Advertisement
From Rivals write up after their Camp yesterday:

The 6-5, 335-pounder had spotty contact with UM … until recently. Now Manny Diaz has taken a personal hand in Thomas’ recruitment.

He adds of UM that “It’s a good place. I’m taking an official visit in June (to be set up). Me and coach (Manny) Diaz have a good relationship, we talk every week, keep in contact. I really like Miami, that’s one of my favorite schools. Ever since I was growing up I wanted to be a Hurricane. That’s a big school for me.
“I’ve been a Miami fan since I was little.”

Thomas says others high up are Michigan, Kansas, Louisville, Iowa State, Maryland and Cincinnati - he has Michigan and Iowa State official visits set for June.

It’s unclear if UM would take a commitment from Thomas, but if the team sets up an official visit with him that would be a sign and if that happens we think there’s a great chance he winds up at Miami.

From Rivals write up after their Camp yesterday:

The 6-5, 335-pounder had spotty contact with UM … until recently. Now Manny Diaz has taken a personal hand in Thomas’ recruitment.

He adds of UM that “It’s a good place. I’m taking an official visit in June (to be set up). Me and coach (Manny) Diaz have a good relationship, we talk every week, keep in contact. I really like Miami, that’s one of my favorite schools. Ever since I was growing up I wanted to be a Hurricane. That’s a big school for me.
“I’ve been a Miami fan since I was little.”

Thomas says others high up are Michigan, Kansas, Louisville, Iowa State, Maryland and Cincinnati - he has Michigan and Iowa State official visits set for June.

It’s unclear if UM would take a commitment from Thomas, but if the team sets up an official visit with him that would be a sign and if that happens we think there’s a great chance he winds up at Miami.

Good stuff.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Let's compare him to our most recent player most similar to him. Norton? I haven't seen test numbers but I don't think he has the movement skills that Norton had. Atleast to the naked eye. He just seems to be more of a scheme fit elsewhere.

He won DL MVP at the Miami rivals camp. He displayed a nice tool chest of dline moves.

Go Canes

Don't forget coach Feeley can get this dancing bear right with Miami's S&C program.

#RunDaBallNStopDaRunStillMatters

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement

Would love to lock both of these two up then go after the biggest of fish locally for the rest of the defensive line class.

But that interview with Tawfiq seemed very promising for us. Even if we are just starting to recruit him he's not getting attention from top schools so we are the first big school in the game now.

Looks like it's either him or Tarber for the nose tackle spot.He sounds ready to jump in.

Advertisement
Back