Targeting

You'd think appreciation for your own neck would be a strong enough deterrent... But the instinct to lower your head is real. Gotta coach it out of guys at a young age.

I had 4 concussions in 3 years...long neck + video games + reckless helmet first hitting = bad.

No one ever taught me how to hit with my shoulder. For years I thought I was unlucky until I learned proper tackling technique as a fan smh.

Advertisement
That and the blind side block call earlier are ridiculous. What was the WR supposed to do? Let the defender catch up and make the tackle? If he didn’t block he was gonna get caught from behind.

You're supposed to run in front of the guy and basketball screen him (which will get you run over in most cases) or you can run along side the person and "slow down" in front of them to impede the ability to run to the ball carrier without potentially injuring the defender.

It's soft, it's not "football" as we know it, but it's the rule. It will have to be coached into players because their entire lives (until 12 months ago), they've been allowed to lay people the eff out on that type of play.

I had 4 concussions in 3 years...long neck + video games + reckless helmet first hitting = bad.

No one ever taught me how to hit with my shoulder. For years I thought I was unlucky until I learned proper tackling technique as a fan smh.

Some of these coaches, man... as bad as that is, it could have been even worse. A surprising amount of HS coaches (especially 20+ years ago) didn't know what the **** they were doing technique-wise, in particular when it came to minimizing head and neck injuries.

Advertisement
Some of these coaches, man... as bad as that is, it could have been even worse. A surprising amount of HS coaches (especially 20+ years ago) didn't know what the **** they were doing technique-wise, in particular when it came to minimizing head and neck injuries.

Yeah this was right before concussions became a health concern. Now USA football is really active in teaching fundamentals to young players.

51-zI9xcMkL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Advertisement
Two strikes, youre out and suspended next game.

There have been guys that have stayed in the game kicking the opposing player in the crotch, ffs.

Advertisement
That and the blind side block call earlier are ridiculous. What was the WR supposed to do? Let the defender catch up and make the tackle? If he didn’t block he was gonna get caught from behind.

Dont worry, 2 hand touch is almost here, stay tuned!

Good rule, but with the speed of play at the HS level and above, it's sometimes called incorrectly.

Advertisement
I’m ok with targeting but too many missed calls on both sides. Also ejection is stupid unless you can prove intent. Needs to be like nba flagrants. The rule needs work.

The rule sucks but he literally speared the guy. Have to protect defenders from hurting themselves.

Ejection is too extreme though unless it's a dangerous hit on the WR. Simple 15 yds should deter a guy from spearing period.

I get it, But that inherent risk. A player jumps come down break their ankle, are we going regulate jumping now?

Advertisement
Back