Targeting

The punishment is far too punitive for the size/speed of the athletes and volatility of the game. They have to take a balanced approach to player safety (which is not the true motivation of the rule) in order to maintain the integrity of the game.

Advertisement
There's nothing more I hate than the bs that always happens to us: the defender goes very low but the offensive player is falling and their helmets (or even their shoulder) collides and boom targeting.

Trash rule. I hate it. Give em 15 yards and call it a day. Disqualifying kids is wack

Problem is kids wouldn’t care and wouldn’t change their methods. Facemasks happen all the time bc in the grand scheme the penalties don’t change the game. Sometimes those penalties are half the distance or so far in the other end the impact is minimal. Ejections though, kids take note. A game can be changed with an ejection and no kid wants to sit.
The severity sucks but if they really want to eliminate certain types of plays, it’s the only way to do it.

Always felt the ejection clause should be reserved for those few absolutely senseless (Obviously dirty) hits. 15 yard infraction for all the others and keep playing. Could even make it to where 2 of these inadvertent fouls in a game get you ejected.

I could get on board with a tweak like this to the rule. Obviously dirty hits with intent get ejection. Helmet contact on what looks to be someone just making a tackle with a shoulder or as a guy turns or ducks but falls within the “rules” maybe just a penalty but no ejection unless it happens again....similar to unsportsmanlike.

Spearing, launching and dirty blind side bone rattling blocks need to be removed for player safety.

I think it was the late Beano Cook who said if you want to eliminate players using their head as a weapon get rid of the hard helmets and go back to the leather helmets.

I think I would rather see that than the targeting rule still implemented as crazy as it sounds.

Advertisement
I could get on board with a tweak like this to the rule. Obviously dirty hits with intent get ejection. Helmet contact on what looks to be someone just making a tackle with a shoulder or as a guy turns or ducks but falls within the “rules” maybe just a penalty but no ejection unless it happens again....similar to unsportsmanlike.

Spearing, launching and dirty blind side bone rattling blocks need to be removed for player safety.
Exactly

The stupidest rule ever is that the offensive team loses possession of the football if they fumble the ball and it rolls out of the endzone.

Ejection for targeting is perhaps extreme, but the purpose of the rule is to protect the players. Clemson LB was probably more a threat to himself in the way he ducked his head & risked neck injury.

Nah, man. He's got to keep his eyes up. Drive the facemask into the chest/shoulder, not the top of the helmet. That's how you jack up your neck.
this is what is taught, eye's up, facemask into the tackle. That call when they kicked out the starting LB completely changed the game, he called the defense plays, call the 15 yd penalty but you cant kick a guy out of a championship game

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back