Takeaways From Our Second Worst Performance of the Season

FL Cane

Senior
Bar none, tonight's 19-14 win was the second worse performance of our season. A win is a win, but our offense was non-existent, and our defense nearly blew it for us at the end. All in all, this is not the performance you want 8 weeks into the season. Still though, there were some good takeaways from this game. Here they are:

Good Takeaways

• D'Eriq King had a solid performance, throwing for well over 300 yards and being on target most of the night. He missed Harley late in the 4th on a post and had some balls batted at the line. All in all, solid performance from him. He did everything he could.

• Our WR's finally showed up. Man did Harley have a game, guy caught everything coming his way. Pope had a phenomenal catch hugging the sideline too and looked good other than two drops. Dee Wiggins was mostly a non-entity along with everyone else though.

• Despite a terrible OL, our RB's were solid tonight. Chaney and Knighton are going to be an extremely dangerous RB duo.

• For the most part, our defense did its job. Can't complain when we hold an opponent to 14 points. Our DL played well despite getting borderline mugged all game. Nevertheless, a better team would've taken advantage of the opportunities we gave UVA's offense.

• We didn't have too many dumb penalties tonight and were disciplined for the most part.

• Borregales and Hedley continue to be absolute pillars of this team's success.
Horrific Takeaways
  • Our OL remains the single biggest liability that we have on offense. UVA stacked the box and blitzed the entire first half and we couldn't do a thing about it. King was running for his life most of the game, and couldn't get a clean pocket consistently. We've improved from last year no doubt, but there's a long way to go. I view this as a personnel issue rather than a coaching issue, Justise has done a great job.

• Rhett Lashlee is on a three-game streak of terrible playcalling. We had four red-zone visits tonight and got 13 points total out of them. It's unacceptable. Even more so when you decide to go to the inside run three straight times despite your RB being gassed and UVA stacking the box. Lashlee needs to get better, plain, and simple. Our offense has way too many droughts and three and outs. Some of his play-calling straight up kills any momentum we have. This must change.

• Blake Baker's scheming is just downright terrible. It's as if we're incapable of getting off the field on third or fourth down. The amount of times we get gashed in the run game on third (especially by QB's) or just leave someone wide open downfield is astounding. Also cannot stand his delayed blitzes and stunting.

• At this point, Manny needs to bench Amari Carter for a game or two. It's inexcusable that he is literally called for targeting once a game. Manny needs to send a message to him and the team. Speaking of Manny...

• Being calm and collected is an important trait for an HC, but man does this guy have 0 sideline presence. There's no energy or fire whatsoever. We've got guys making dumb mistakes and he just gives them a pat on the back. See how Saban, Jimbo, and Dabo dominate a sideline.

• I will never understand being up by less than two scores and trying to mail it in. Nine minutes left in this game and we just stopped being aggressive on offense. Of course, we punt after and UVA scores. We cannot let teams get back into a game, we constantly give those opportunities.
All in all, our worst win of the year. This has to be an aberration, for Manny's sake. Need to come out next week and have a solid win against NC State. Team has to show up and not sleepwalk its way through a game. We'll see if that can happen. We've got leaders on this team, but right now we have combined coaching and personnel issues. Soon enough we're going to sleepwalk through a game and lose, unless we change things up.

Advertisement
Let’s all attack baker. The offense couldn’t get into end zone and until the refs missed the offsides call he held them to 7pts. Smh

Advertisement
This is a serious question. How many games in a row has he been called for targeting? (Even if it was determined it wasn’t targeting)

Advertisement
I think you're being too hard on A Carter. Yes, it's EVERY game. However, he's only averaging one ejection per game. So, it's not like it's really all THAT bad.
Good point. I say give him a longer leash, but if he gets kicked out for targeting TWICE in one game, that’s when you have to seriously look at benching him.

Let’s not start sucking off this defense quite yet. VA’s offense has been putrid, and they had a TD called back because of a penalty. Not to mention drops by wide open receivers. We’ve got vets like Blades completely confused out there on coverage. And for all of this vaunted dline people talk about, we have to blitz to get pressure.

Team getting worse as the season goes on reflects badly on the head coach. We improve in one area (this game WR's) and regress in others. Quickly losing hope in his ability to get this team to championship level.

Advertisement
Nobody giving UVA any credit. Their OL was good and their DL is big and athletic. Having said all this we did leave points on the board that would have made everyone talk different post game. Running plays and inside zone is dead bc that seems to be the only running play we call. Let's get THAT fixed.

Yall are being ridiculous with Carter. If I'm Diaz I say fvck it, go for the record. Most consecutive targeting penalties called. Make sure you do it early in the game too to set the tone.
He should do it at end of first half. Make the most advantage of the 2 halves ruke

kicking spider man GIF

Advertisement
Team getting worse as the season goes on reflects badly on the head coach. We improve in one area (this game WR's) and regress in others. Quickly losing hope in his ability to get this team to championship level.

team isnt getting worse. the level fo comp is getting better from Lville and FSU (theyre the two worst teams in conference). we've been about what everyone else is in conference (including ND and UNC) -- above average. we've won every game comfortably aside from last night

This was a better performance than Pitt. We just happened to get into the endzone on big plays, but couldn't move the ball against Pitt. This game we moved the ball but didn't get in. It happens, like ND did with Louisville.

I was extremely disappointed with the team’s performance and discipline overall. Not many bright spots. But one good thing I got from staying up to watch was I have me a bad a$$ potatuh peeluh on the way!

Advertisement
Back