Take aways from the game

My best friend’s son is the ILB for UVA, #6 Nick Jackson. he was gassed and got beat by TVD on the touchdown run. But he also made the tackle on Harris at the 15, which may have been the game saving tackle for UVA as it likely prevented Harris from scoring (someone else may have tackled him if Nick missed).
So am I upset that Nick tackled Harris as a UM fan, or happy that this is one more nail in Diaz’s coffin, also as a UM fan?

Advertisement
And FYI, I keyed on Nick all game as I always do when he plays.
UVA runs a ton of garbage blitzes where he just runs into a guard and gets stone walled because he’s a 210 pound linebacker running into a 310 pound guard. Pretty much the same as most of our blitzes.

RB's
We need to put to bed that Cam is not a P5 guy. He clearly is. Anytime there is any crease or gap to run through he makes the defense regret it. Cam has great burst through holes and exceptional ball security. Every time there was even a sliver of a hole he turned it into 10 or more yards. Rooster is the goods. Keep giving him touches anyway possible. great lateral quickness and very elusive. He needs the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

clearly a p5 guy because he can run fast in a straight line when no one touches him? he has no vision, no wiggle, and delivers nothing when there's contact at or before the line. looks like tarzan, plays like jane.

We must have been watching different games. If TVD is the future, we're in for tough times. The best thing to be said is he hung in and competed. Not sure what we have in Garcia, but Miami may need to shop for a starter-ready QB in the portal after the season.

Lashlee is another story. The season is filled with questions and disappointments, but Lashlee might rank at the top of the list. Major shock. The offense is an absolute mess. Ok, the offensive line play limits what can be done, but the offense continues to have no identity. He doesn't design/scheme any easy throws for the QB. The tight end is non-existent. And the couple times a game we do throw to him, it's a throw just beyond the line of scrimmage that's easily diagnosed and blown up. So much for Tight End U.

QB
TVD had a rough start but definitely settled in as the game went on. He has a NFL arm and can spin into tight windows. Showed good touch at times on the long throws. He never put the ball in danger. His mobility is just enough to give defenses trouble. Lashlee did him zero favors in the fist half. Which is why he struggled. Once we opened up the book a little more, TVD did just fine and we moved the ball at will. In a good scheme he will put up big numbers.

Ever notice who gets flagged for targeting every single week, Miami, not the team we are playing. Awful rule or not, you follow the rule. We are good for at least 1 per game due to sheer stupidity. And it's not because the refs hate us, it's because we are undisciplined.
And they missed one on 26 last night towards the end of the game that would've extended the drive after we made a stop on 3rd down.

Advertisement
I will start with the whole thing needs to be thrown in the toilet and flushed. Its a double flusher for sure. But this will be about the players and the promising things i saw.

QB
TVD had a rough start but definitely settled in as the game went on. He has a NFL arm and can spin into tight windows. Showed good touch at times on the long throws. He never put the ball in danger. His mobility is just enough to give defenses trouble. Lashlee did him zero favors in the fist half. Which is why he struggled. Once we opened up the book a little more, TVD did just fine and we moved the ball at will. In a good scheme he will put up big numbers.

RB's
We need to put to bed that Cam is not a P5 guy. He clearly is. Anytime there is any crease or gap to run through he makes the defense regret it. Cam has great burst through holes and exceptional ball security. Every time there was even a sliver of a hole he turned it into 10 or more yards. Rooster is the goods. Keep giving him touches anyway possible. great lateral quickness and very elusive. He needs the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

WR's
The young guys are the way to go from here on out ( other than rambo and harley). They get better separation, block better, and play with more aggression. Thats all that needs to be said.

Oline
We simply need different guys. They have shown they are servicable at times. But we need some dudes. The only bright spot last night was that they started giving the RB's some room to run towards the end of the game. We actually wore a dline down! But drastic changes are needed (and talent).

Taylor 56
DUDE!!!!!!! This young man is the goods. Should be on the field at all times. Was disruptive virtually every play. I will live with what ever mistake he makes. Hes to good to not be out there end of story.

Williams
Same goes for him. He is simply better.

Nesta
Played a **** of a game. Was in the back field all night.

Our youth is extremely promising. There is talent on this team. Its insanely frustrating to watch this staff constantly hamstring good ball players. I truly feel with a competent staff we are a 10 win a year team. On defense just teaching gap integrity alone would be a massive improvement. The next staff that comes in is going to inherit some really good ball players. We are a couple hires away from being a really good football team. Here's to lightning striking and it happening.

Cam is OK, but our scheme fails him. These slow building hand-off runs from Shotgun with an awful OL, just not smart. Terrible play call on that safety.

Also there was 4th & 1 in the second half where they lined up Cam Harris and TVD was in the shotgun. They got very lucky the converted that due to UVAs DL being worn down (no way they would have in the first half). Even the announcer was like "why are you lining up like that" on 4th & 1.

I think were really missing a Quan type guy back there. someone who can get the guys into their coverage on the field. only so much a dude on the sidelines can do. we didn't have such bad communication with Manny as solely DC under richt. the breakdowns really started happening once we lost Quan.
I think Kinchens can become that guy. Game would have been different if he didn’t drop that pick though.

Brinson bought into his hype and didn't appear as focused.

JW did not have a great game last night. I think a lot of that is the lack of communication and unison on the backend of our defense
I cannot stand that guys multiple times are game still struggle to get lined up. It is mainly backers and safeties, but multiple times, pre snap there are guys trying to get each other’s attention. Some of these led to breakdown, some didn’t.

Communication is critical, clear instructional voice is paramount, but too often these guys are frantic and late in getting organised. This defence isn’t that complicated, get it together.

The classic one we have seen is passing off motion by having the single high roll down when the strength flips and the corner replaces. We have doing this for years now and it still looks unsettled.

Advertisement
bolden is absolute trash.

Lashlee is awful.

TVD handled his real test well. the OL looked better in the second half as the UVA DL was getting gassed.
Yet people still defend him. The guy is not good. Slightly better than Hall, but that’s not sayin a **** thing. Dude is not a sure tackler and he’s awful in coverage. What is he good at? Kam and Williams need all the snaps at safety. AW is coming back but I’m sure Bolden will continue to stink up the secondary because he came into the season with some hype. If “Looks like Tarzan but swings like Jane” was a person, it’d be Bolden.

Advertisement
I will start with the whole thing needs to be thrown in the toilet and flushed. Its a double flusher for sure. But this will be about the players and the promising things i saw.

QB

RB's

WR's
The young guys are the way to go from here on out ( other than rambo and harley). They get better separation, block better, and play with more aggression. Thats all that needs to be said.

Oline
We simply need different guys. They have shown they are servicable at times. But we need some dudes. The only bright spot last night was that they started giving the RB's some room to run towards the end of the game. We actually wore a dline down! But drastic changes are needed (and talent).

Taylor 56
DUDE!!!!!!! This young man is the goods. Should be on the field at all times. Was disruptive virtually every play. I will live with what ever mistake he makes. Hes to good to not be out there end of story.

Williams
Same goes for him. He is simply better.

Nesta
Played a **** of a game. Was in the back field all night.

Our youth is extremely promising. There is talent on this team. Its insanely frustrating to watch this staff constantly hamstring good ball players. I truly feel with a competent staff we are a 10 win a year team. On defense just teaching gap integrity alone would be a massive improvement. The next staff that comes in is going to inherit some really good ball players. We are a couple hires away from being a really good football team. Here's to lightning striking and it happening.
Agree with everything except Cam. His first TD was a 1yard dive. #2 was untouched. He broke his first tackle this year on the last drive of the game. He hasn't broken any tackles before that. He is not exceptional at any one aspect.
Quickness: Rooster makes him look like he runs in Tim's
Power: Don C. Falls forward every single run. He did against Alabama and Cam did not
The list goes on and on

Cam is OK, but our scheme fails him. These slow building hand-off runs from Shotgun with an awful OL, just not smart. Terrible play call on that safety.

Also there was 4th & 1 in the second half where they lined up Cam Harris and TVD was in the shotgun. They got very lucky the converted that due to UVAs DL being worn down (no way they would have in the first half). Even the announcer was like "why are you lining up like that" on 4th & 1.
Play call out of the end zone was absolutely brutal. Lashlee should have been fired on the spot.

I'm not going to waste time trying to sell some of y'all on TVD, if you've made up your mind on the kid after one P5 start that's your prerogative. For my money the jury is still out but I think he has a ton of potential.

Does he look stiff, almost awkward? Yeah, but if he can deliver the ball to our playmakers he can stick a giant ***** on top of his helmet for all I care. The ball absolutely flies out of his hand effortlessly and gets to its target in a hurry. An OL with a pulse wouldn't hurt him or Garcia though.

As far as locking onto his first read, most QB's come into college with that flaw and going through their progressions is something that needs to be worked on constantly.

Watch the throw and replay starting at 26:25 and ending around 26:50. He finds his 3rd receiver for a big pickup on what should have been the game winning drive.

I'm not crowning him, but he has potential. When Garcia gets healthy they should push each other and the battle for QB1 next season will be fun to watch.

ezgif-1-0dea66f90c8e.gif

Advertisement
Yet people still defend him. The guy is not good. Slightly better than Hall, but that’s not sayin a **** thing. Dude is not a sure tackler and he’s awful in coverage. What is he good at? Kam and Williams need all the snaps at safety. AW is coming back but I’m sure Bolden will continue to stink up the secondary because he came into the season with some hype. If “Looks like Tarzan but swings like Jane” was a person, it’d be Bolden.
he's fantastic at laying down hits on guys that are already being tackled and/or on his own teammates.

Strength coach has got to go. Bring someone in with olympic lifting experience. The Hammer machines have got to go.

Advertisement
Back