Take aways from the game

verobeachcane

Recruit
Banned
I will start with the whole thing needs to be thrown in the toilet and flushed. Its a double flusher for sure. But this will be about the players and the promising things i saw.

QB
TVD had a rough start but definitely settled in as the game went on. He has a NFL arm and can spin into tight windows. Showed good touch at times on the long throws. He never put the ball in danger. His mobility is just enough to give defenses trouble. Lashlee did him zero favors in the fist half. Which is why he struggled. Once we opened up the book a little more, TVD did just fine and we moved the ball at will. In a good scheme he will put up big numbers.

RB's
We need to put to bed that Cam is not a P5 guy. He clearly is. Anytime there is any crease or gap to run through he makes the defense regret it. Cam has great burst through holes and exceptional ball security. Every time there was even a sliver of a hole he turned it into 10 or more yards. Rooster is the goods. Keep giving him touches anyway possible. great lateral quickness and very elusive. He needs the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

WR's
The young guys are the way to go from here on out ( other than rambo and harley). They get better separation, block better, and play with more aggression. Thats all that needs to be said.

Oline
We simply need different guys. They have shown they are servicable at times. But we need some dudes. The only bright spot last night was that they started giving the RB's some room to run towards the end of the game. We actually wore a dline down! But drastic changes are needed (and talent).

Taylor 56
DUDE!!!!!!! This young man is the goods. Should be on the field at all times. Was disruptive virtually every play. I will live with what ever mistake he makes. Hes to good to not be out there end of story.

Williams
Same goes for him. He is simply better.

Nesta
Played a **** of a game. Was in the back field all night.

Our youth is extremely promising. There is talent on this team. Its insanely frustrating to watch this staff constantly hamstring good ball players. I truly feel with a competent staff we are a 10 win a year team. On defense just teaching gap integrity alone would be a massive improvement. The next staff that comes in is going to inherit some really good ball players. We are a couple hires away from being a really good football team. Here's to lightning striking and it happening.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Brinson bought into his hype and didn't appear as focused.

JW did not have a great game last night. I think a lot of that is the lack of communication and unison on the backend of our defense

I think were really missing a Quan type guy back there. someone who can get the guys into their coverage on the field. only so much a dude on the sidelines can do. we didn't have such bad communication with Manny as solely DC under richt. the breakdowns really started happening once we lost Quan.

QB
TVD had a rough start but definitely settled in as the game went on. He has a NFL arm and can spin into tight windows. Showed good touch at times on the long throws. He never put the ball in danger. His mobility is just enough to give defenses trouble. Lashlee did him zero favors in the fist half. Which is why he struggled. Once we opened up the book a little more, TVD did just fine and we moved the ball at will. In a good scheme he will put up big numbers.
I basically fully agree with you on everything you typed except this. He actually did. But I can't complain, as it was his first start in a real game ever. That and he sits behind a garbagio O line. So no blame given. I do wish he would find the open man more. Seemed like Rambo or Restrepo were open 90% of the time and he missed them. But I really like his fight and the fact that he didn't quit and kept grinding in the 2nd half.

I think were really missing a Quan type guy back there. someone who can get the guys into their coverage on the field. only so much a dude on the sidelines can do. we didn't have such bad communication with Manny as solely DC under richt. the breakdowns really started happening once we lost Quan.
Yup Quan and Shaq both were really good at communicating things to the other players on defense. The scheme still sucked but we didn't have players still trying to get the calls and the offense is snapping the ball

I basically fully agree with you on everything you typed except this. He actually did. But I can't complain, as it was his first start in a real game ever. That and he sits behind a garbagio O line. So no blame given. I do wish he would find the open man more. Seemed like Rambo or Restrepo were open 90% of the time and he missed them. But I really like his fight and the fact that he didn't quit and kept grinding in the 2nd half.

he predetermined a lot of his passes prior to snap. he got more comfortable as he got more time in the pocket and as the game wore on.

Advertisement
Can’t tackle
Consistently lose contain
Pass rush consistently picked up
Too many plays that involve lowering the head

Too many 3 and outs
No flow, rhyme or reason offensively
3rd down offense is putrid

All signs of poor coaching

How does a regime lose to FIU, La Tech and then find themselves in a 5 game FBS losing streak and still have a job????

Save these kids and get them a competent, PROVEN head coach

Yup Quan and Shaq both were really good at communicating things to the other players on defense. The scheme still sucked but we didn't have players still trying to get the calls and the offense is snapping the ball
I saw one play where bolden is going at Flagg about where to be in coverage. good safeties get them in the right coverages pre snap

Can’t tackle
Consistently lose contain
Pass rush consistently picked up
Too many plays that involve lowering the head

Too many 3 and outs
No flow, rhyme or reason offensively
3rd down offense is putrid

All signs of poor coaching

How does a regime lose to FIU, La Tech and then find themselves in a 5 game FBS losing streak and still have a job????

Save these kids and get them a competent, PROVEN head coach

the targeting rule is awful

I will start with the whole thing needs to be thrown in the toilet and flushed. Its a double flusher for sure. But this will be about the players and the promising things i saw.

QB

RB's
We need to put to bed that Cam is not a P5 guy. He clearly is. Anytime there is any crease or gap to run through he makes the defense regret it. Cam has great burst through holes and exceptional ball security. Every time there was even a sliver of a hole he turned it into 10 or more yards. Rooster is the goods. Keep giving him touches anyway possible. great lateral quickness and very elusive. He needs the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

WR's
The young guys are the way to go from here on out ( other than rambo and harley). They get better separation, block better, and play with more aggression. Thats all that needs to be said.

Oline
We simply need different guys. They have shown they are servicable at times. But we need some dudes. The only bright spot last night was that they started giving the RB's some room to run towards the end of the game. We actually wore a dline down! But drastic changes are needed (and talent).

Taylor 56
DUDE!!!!!!! This young man is the goods. Should be on the field at all times. Was disruptive virtually every play. I will live with what ever mistake he makes. Hes to good to not be out there end of story.

Williams
Same goes for him. He is simply better.

Nesta
Played a **** of a game. Was in the back field all night.

Our youth is extremely promising. There is talent on this team. Its insanely frustrating to watch this staff constantly hamstring good ball players. I truly feel with a competent staff we are a 10 win a year team. On defense just teaching gap integrity alone would be a massive improvement. The next staff that comes in is going to inherit some really good ball players. We are a couple hires away from being a really good football team. Here's to lightning striking and it happening.
Agree with the comments as should anyone who is being objective about the game. But I also think UVA screwed up by only rushing 3 and giving TVD time to scan the field. But give him time and he has the arm to make a difference. And the TD run was very nice.

Advertisement
I am encouraged by TVD. We knew it would be rough for him for a number of reasons but we got to see in the second half his cannon and he was putting the ball where King cant. If Lashlee lets him deal around to all the young guys it could be fun to watch the rest of the way.

Also all the young guys are ballers. Its amazing to see how much harder they play than the older guys. I can see a love of the game in guys like Kam, LT, Williams, Smith, Restrepo etc. There is a nucleus to build on but its going to take a five OL from the portal to help. If you watch all the college games the teams with a solid OL are winning. Nothing has changed there for a 100 years.

TVD is one of those QBs we usually run into. They’re not that great but some how makes us look silly and makes you clinch your fist on how we can’t stop him. Glad he was on our side this time. Manny took all the kids work unfortunately

Only saw 2 plays in second half where TVD faced a 4 or 5 man front that he did well with.

He mainly settled in when they brought 3 and lost ability to pressure.

Still props to TVD for growing, but let's not be blind to what the difference in Oline protection in the 1st vs. second half were: a change in UVA's approach.

If UVA was gassed, fine, that's great that we had more juice near the end, but the first half and the other threads mentioning the starts to games is what's been the dispositive factor.

Bad Oline is bad and we won't ever be good again until we have a real Oline system and pipeline.

Advertisement
Only saw 2 plays in second half where TVD faced a 4 or 5 man front that he did well with.

He mainly settled in when they brought 3 and lost ability to pressure.

Still props to TVD for growing, but let's not be blind to what the difference in Oline protection in the 1st vs. second half were: a change in UVA's approach.

If UVA was gassed, fine, that's great that we had more juice near the end, but the first half and the other threads mentioning the starts to games is what's been the dispositive factor.

Bad Oline is bad and we won't ever be good again until we have a real Oline system and pipeline.

uva def was gassed at the end of the game.

Advertisement
Back