Take aways from the game

And FYI, I keyed on Nick all game as I always do when he plays.
UVA runs a ton of garbage blitzes where he just runs into a guard and gets stone walled because he’s a 210 pound linebacker running into a 310 pound guard. Pretty much the same as most of our blitzes.
With respect to Nick and their team, their defense was giving us yards we refused to take. It was bizarre to watch.

Advertisement
Our head coach is awful, period... any other player critiquing is secondary, players would execute better if they had better coaching.

Can’t tackle
Consistently lose contain
Pass rush consistently picked up
Too many plays that involve lowering the head

Too many 3 and outs
No flow, rhyme or reason offensively
3rd down offense is putrid

All signs of poor coaching

How does a regime lose to FIU, La Tech and then find themselves in a 5 game FBS losing streak and still have a job????

Save these kids and get them a competent, PROVEN head coach
Yeah, no flow. I didn't know whether to laugh or scream when they tried a no-huddle, hurry-up offense. Everyone is lined up, but the QB takes another 5 seconds staring at the sideline to get the play from coaches. Kind of defeats the purpose of the no huddle.

And, why was Rooster mostly sent between the tackles? Why not some passes to him in the flat after the WRs took defenders downfield? Didn't appear that they used his talents properly.

Defense played fine. The offense did them no favors and this was UVA's first game under 500 total yards. The offense is what lost it.

Advertisement
With respect to Nick and their team, their defense was giving us yards we refused to take. It was bizarre to watch.
Nick’s dad was so upset after the game that I had to encourage him with the fact that his son tackled Harris and saved the game.
Luckily UVA is a great school because their football team is so disappointing. His dad also graduated from UVA so it’s doubly disappointing.

I dont know why lashlee didnt give him easy throws early, bubbles or something.. We were run run pass soo much.. sometimes run run run

Was pretty clear to me early that UVA wasn't going to give Miami easy simple throws.

Was pretty clear to me early that UVA wasn't going to give Miami easy simple throws.
The commentators showed a few times some easy throws were to be had on replays. They were playing the run heavy and leaving guys on islands.. If wake can light these guys up and we are scared of them then just shut down the program. One on one is a easy throw to a guy like Rambo

Advertisement
LT should only come out when he wants to.
JW should only come out when he wants to.
Manny and Lashlee put the game on a FR Kicker. We should've punched that in for a score. Cowards.
Please stop with the Dive **** to Harris. That ignorant play cost us 2 points ironically.
We've got to find a MLB. Flagg makes 1 good play for every 100 snaps. His proximity to the ball is meaningless.

I will start with the whole thing needs to be thrown in the toilet and flushed. Its a double flusher for sure. But this will be about the players and the promising things i saw.

QB
TVD had a rough start but definitely settled in as the game went on. He has a NFL arm and can spin into tight windows. Showed good touch at times on the long throws. He never put the ball in danger. His mobility is just enough to give defenses trouble. Lashlee did him zero favors in the fist half. Which is why he struggled. Once we opened up the book a little more, TVD did just fine and we moved the ball at will. In a good scheme he will put up big numbers.

RB's
We need to put to bed that Cam is not a P5 guy. He clearly is. Anytime there is any crease or gap to run through he makes the defense regret it. Cam has great burst through holes and exceptional ball security. Every time there was even a sliver of a hole he turned it into 10 or more yards. Rooster is the goods. Keep giving him touches anyway possible. great lateral quickness and very elusive. He needs the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

WR's
The young guys are the way to go from here on out ( other than rambo and harley). They get better separation, block better, and play with more aggression. Thats all that needs to be said.

Oline
We simply need different guys. They have shown they are servicable at times. But we need some dudes. The only bright spot last night was that they started giving the RB's some room to run towards the end of the game. We actually wore a dline down! But drastic changes are needed (and talent).

Taylor 56
DUDE!!!!!!! This young man is the goods. Should be on the field at all times. Was disruptive virtually every play. I will live with what ever mistake he makes. Hes to good to not be out there end of story.

Williams
Same goes for him. He is simply better.

Nesta
Played a **** of a game. Was in the back field all night.

Our youth is extremely promising. There is talent on this team. Its insanely frustrating to watch this staff constantly hamstring good ball players. I truly feel with a competent staff we are a 10 win a year team. On defense just teaching gap integrity alone would be a massive improvement. The next staff that comes in is going to inherit some really good ball players. We are a couple hires away from being a really good football team. Here's to lightning striking and it happening.
I have to disagree on (at least) 2 fronts:

1. I didn't see (m)any throws into tight windows. I saw a guy that was not hitting receivers in stride. I saw a wobbly ball. I saw decent arm strength, but it was somewhat neutralized by slow progressions (he did look more comfortable in the 2nd half, and I saw him go through his progressions at least once).

2. Cam is who he is. If there is a hole and a crease, he can outrun people. But he can't make people miss and he has below-average vision. The best version of Cam - from a physical perspective, meaning, with the body/skillset he has now - would be a guy with great vision that could see cutback lanes. HIs physical skillset is that of a cutback RB, but he doesn't have the vision for it.

I will also disagree that this is a 10 win team with a better coach - I did think that before the season, but the OL and LB situation is so bad that this team is doomed, no matter who is coaching it.

Brinson bought into his hype and didn't appear as focused.

JW did not have a great game last night. I think a lot of that is the lack of communication and unison on the backend of our defense
Both guys missed game changing interceptions, but I’m confident their sophomore year they’ll make those plays

Advertisement
I think it’s coaching

Exactly. I don't blame the players one damned bit.

The HC sets the tone - and everyone either gets on the program - or get gone.

Low expectations, low demands equals low performances.

SEC teams - in practice - HIT! HIT! and HIT! Tackle! and HIT some more!

Running through *****'s and gently wrapping don't get it done.

Manny will be a G5 coach forever with his undisciplined scheme and development. This team will never be physical under Manny. Takes a half every game to adjust to physicality. I was a Lashlee supporter but I’ve lost any hope in him. The oline can’t Identify the blitz but he refuse to spread out the defense to help his them. We need one yard and runs Rooster instead of Cam. Overall this team is trash because of coaching and the Many Era is ending but not fast enough.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back