Syracuse Game today

Terrible loss.

Not really. Losing to Walford or SC State would have been a terrible loss. Losing @ Syracuse is not a terrible loss.

Exactly, but people just look at records, and make assumptions. Miami is a young team that went into Syracuse to face a DESPERATE team. That isn't going to end well more often than not, especially if you can't shoot worth a ****, and get little production from your leading scorers. It's tough to win on the road in the ACC as is, it's even tougher when you don't know how to as a team. Outside of Reed, Murphy and Newton(To an extent Anthony Lawrence), none of these guys understand what conference play entails. That is something they are going to have to learn on the fly. By the way, that NC State team Miami stomped last weekend, just picked up a win against Virginia Tech, a team that rolled Duke less than a week ago. It's the ACC, buckle up.

Advertisement
Terrible loss.

Not really. Losing to Walford or SC State would have been a terrible loss. Losing @ Syracuse is not a terrible loss.

Exactly, but people just look at records, and make assumptions. Miami is a young team that went into Syracuse to face a DESPERATE team. That isn't going to end well more often than not, especially if you can't shoot worth a ****, and get little production from your leading scorers. It's tough to win on the road in the ACC as is, it's even tougher when you don't know how to as a team. Outside of Reed, Murphy and Newton(To an extent Anthony Lawrence), none of these guys understand what conference play entails. That is something they are going to have to learn on the fly. By the way, that NC State team Miami stomped last weekend, just picked up a win against Virginia Tech, a team that rolled Duke less than a week ago. It's the ACC, buckle up.

Good post.

I live close to Syracuse, this was brutal to watch and I had everyone I know rub it in my face all night. Disappointing but we will bounce back.

I live close to Syracuse, this was brutal to watch and I had everyone I know rub it in my face all night. Disappointing but we will bounce back.

As if living near Syracuse isn't bad enough, you then watched last night's game. Nobody deserves that much sorrow.

Advertisement

As if living near Syracuse isn't bad enough, you then watched last night's game. Nobody deserves that much sorrow.

The good news is that usually I go to the game when they play at the Dome; however, this year I had to work. Thank god for work.

Didn't watch with the time zone difference.

Not many ACC gimmes this year.

We'll bounce back.

We sat about 5 rows back from the UM bench just above the floor level.

To me, last night was the epitome of not having a true point guard. It seems that all V, 'Tun, Brown, and Reed did was pass the ball around the top looking inside every once in a while. The zone had them baffled. It was apparent from the opening tip that UM was much more athletic...and then Huell sat for long periods of time...idk.

They did make the halftime adjustment to run someone up to the high post...but it was Brown who was doing that. You would think that Huell or Murphy would be the one in the 4 spot to do that.

Couple that with the ft's and Syracuse not missing any open shots...and you get what you got.

The best part of the night was having pregame dinner at the Tiltled Kilt...lol.

Advertisement

To me, last night was the epitome of not having a true point guard. It seems that all V, 'Tun, Brown, and Reed did was pass the ball around the top looking inside every once in a while. The zone had them baffled. It was apparent from the opening tip that UM was much more athletic...and then Huell sat for long periods of time...idk.

They did make the halftime adjustment to run someone up to the high post...but it was Brown who was doing that. You would think that Huell or Murphy would be the one in the 4 spot to do that.

Couple that with the ft's and Syracuse not missing any open shots...and you get what you got.

I was in section 311. It was brutal to watch them just tossing it around the perimeter. I didn't bother to look at the FT numbers, but I only remember them making one or two the whole game. Couldn't believe it. So many of the shots were clanking off the back iron, and then Cuse gets a 3 on a ball that hits back iron, goes straight up over the backboard, and then falls in. It was just one of those nights, but it sure put a damper on the 2 hour drive to get there. Then going thru a ridiculous lake effect band to get home put the capper on a ****** night.

I was in section 311. It was brutal to watch them just tossing it around the perimeter. I didn't bother to look at the FT numbers, but I only remember them making one or two the whole game. Couldn't believe it. So many of the shots were clanking off the back iron, and then Cuse gets a 3 on a ball that hits back iron, goes straight up over the backboard, and then falls in. It was just one of those nights, but it sure put a damper on the 2 hour drive to get there. Then going thru a ridiculous lake effect band to get home put the capper on a ****** night.

I think the Lake Effect Band played my cousin's bar mitzvah.

Advertisement

The craziest part?

While I couldn't find a post game presser from Coach L, I read some of his quotes. One them said that he thought we could have got off more 3s if we didn't dribble then shoot. I am paraphrasing of course, but he said something about choosing to dribble inside and not take quality shots.

I always defer to Coach L of course, and it could have been taken out of context...but it seemed like he was encouraging more threes versus working the ball inside out?!? That of course makes no sense to me since they stepped out further on the perimeter in the second half to take away the threes..only DJ couldn't miss from anywhere.

UM

The craziest part?

While I couldn't find a post game presser from Coach L, I read some of his quotes. One them said that he thought we could have got off more 3s if we didn't dribble then shoot. I am paraphrasing of course, but he said something about choosing to dribble inside and not take quality shots.

I always defer to Coach L of course, and it could have been taken out of context...but it seemed like he was encouraging more threes versus working the ball inside out?!? That of course makes no sense to me since they stepped out further on the perimeter in the second half to take away the threes..only DJ couldn't miss from anywhere.

UM

You're correct. Whenever attacking the Syracuse zone, the foul line (high post) is the soft spot. Hitting open shots from there is crucial...then the 4 and 5 players have to crash up leaving down low open. Wings have to then rotate down to cover low leaving the 3's open. Inside out is the way to go. I didn't hear the presser, but Coach L has beaten up the Syracuse zone more that once. Hmmmm....

I'd say that their are ZERO ACC GIMMIES this season. We cannot turn the ball over the way we did against 'Cuse and expect to win any ACC games. Yeah we will "bounce back" but every single game will be a dog fight. These kids just aren't very good yet...maybe they will be by the time the ACC tournament rolls around but don't get your hopes up. Larranaga is that dude though....he will find the right combos.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back