Susan's write up for today's practice & conditioning results

I'm talking about last year's conditioning test. Here is an excerpt ftrom Steve Gorten's report of first day of practice last year.
"There's a sense of urgency in the building," Golden said before practice. "The guys know we have to get a lot done in a short period of time, so we're excited about that. I know personally I am just to get back on the field.
"I think we're in good condition. The strength staff and [Andreu Swasey] have done a great job as far as physical conditioning.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. So, what is it? Was he just saying what the fans want to hear? Is that what's happening now?

You're not too big on nuance or tact, are you? Good condition isn't great condition. It isn't superior condition. The strength staff very well could have done a great job with what they had to work with. That's one possibility. There is another.

Going into your first season as coach with a new team, many of whose players you did not recruit, would you call them out in the media before fall camp even begins? Golden has a degree in Psychology, IIRC, so I'll defer to him on this one. Even if I didn't, however, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he wasn't perfectly candid about the shape of the team before last season, and I think it's safe to say he had valid reasons for doing so. Many on this board have viewed several of the juniors who left early as less-than-committed to the team. How do you think they perform if their coach blasts them publicly? Impossible to say now, but I have my guess. You're welcome to yours.

He's since said he wasn't pleased with the conditioning, so we need to chose which statement is likely more authentic. For numerous reasons, I'll take the more recent one.

And - really - do you want your coach to be perfectly frank to the media at all times? Do you really want that?

Advertisement
I'm talking about last year's conditioning test. Here is an excerpt ftrom Steve Gorten's report of first day of practice last year.
"There's a sense of urgency in the building," Golden said before practice. "The guys know we have to get a lot done in a short period of time, so we're excited about that. I know personally I am just to get back on the field.
"I think we're in good condition. The strength staff and [Andreu Swasey] have done a great job as far as physical conditioning.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. So, what is it? Was he just saying what the fans want to hear? Is that what's happening now?

Maybe it's coach-speak, but there's a difference between "I think we're in good condition," and "We kicked the **** out of that drill last night."

I don't remember reports of people failing the test, but I don't remember reports explicitly saying that EVERYONE passed the test, either.

Golden said he wanted a 40/10 make-up (40 guys doing 20 reps at 225 lbs on the bench press, and 10 guys doing 30 reps at 225 lbs), and we achieved that goal. That wasn't the case last year.

I'm not naive enough to believe everything coaches say, but making a vague statement like "I think we're in good condition" is not analogous to pointing out specific weight room goals that have been met. Maybe he's just flat-out lying about the numbers, but I don't think he is.

Good lord Perryman is going to kill somebody.

Great news about Robinson though for real. I really like Smith and Porter but we desperately need depth especially with Porters injury history.

Crazy he played at 208 last year, he sure didn't hit like it.

Advertisement
Back