Susan's write up for today's practice & conditioning results

T

TheU1991

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/08/hurricanes-.html

Coach Al Golden predicted it would happen, and turns out he was right.

On the eve of the opening of fall camp on Friday, every one of his Hurricanes passed the once dreaded yearly conditioning test.

“To be honest with you, they kicked the **** out of that drill last night,’’ Golden said of Thursday night’s test, which requires each player to run 14 consecutive 40-yard dashes (with a short amount of time to jog back to begin each dash) in a specified time. “A year ago that drill killed us.

"They put the time in. They put the energy in. They made sacrifices. They had the discipline to go out there and do that. Everybody that has ever been around that conditioning drill – you can’t do it alone. You can’t do it without energy, without the support of your teammates and obviously without unity and I think that proved it last night.’’

Linebacker Denzel Perryman said there were "a lot of hoo-rahs" during and after the test. "The big guys were the last ones to run through and pretty much when they were coming back on the last one almost half the team ran back with them. When they crossed the line they were jumping around."

Perryman said 6-3, 295-pound redshirt junior defensive tackle Luther Robinson "crushed the time'' in his first attempt after failing the test in previous years. "We had people run next to him to push him, standing there to make sure he didn’t give up.

"He did great.''

As for his own strength and conditioning skills, Perryman said his bench press went from 375 to 400, his 225-pound reps went from 24 to 30 and his squat went from 495 to 515.

"It’s all just hard work and a mental thing, going into the weight room with a great attitude,'' he said. "I feel like this team can be really great. Everybody is out here ready to go. everybody is locked in in the playbook, talking to coaches, watching film, doing extra work.''

Safety A.J. Highsmith said the conditioning test "pumped up" Golden. "He was excited about it. He loved the energy we had and the way we attacked it. You have to attack it the same way you do it in a fb game -- just come out and start swinging. Don’t wait around. Take advantage of it right away.''

CHICK DRAWS CROWD

Sophomore defensive end Anthony Chickillo, who had a team-leading (tied with former Cane Marcus Robinson) five sacks last season, is intent on causing havoc this season.

"The game has slowed down a lot for me,'' Chickillo said. "I know what teams are trying to do. I'm ready for a big year."

Added Chickillo: "We're tired of losing. That's something we're willing to say. We're tired of losing. We're going to have a good team this year and we're going to be ready for Boston College."

Chickillo did not want to discuss the recent Yahoo! Sports article that alleges he took improper benefits. But he did seem confident in saying he didn't expect to be declared ineligible by the NCAA.

Practice on Saturday is bright and early: 7:30 a.m. interviews followed by 8:20 a.m. practice. It is closed to the public.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/08/hurricanes-.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Is that all the numbers we're gonna get?

I need moar!

I want MOAR.jpg

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/08/hurricanes-.html

Coach Al Golden predicted it would happen, and turns out he was right.

On the eve of the opening of fall camp on Friday, every one of his Hurricanes passed the once dreaded yearly conditioning test.

“To be honest with you, they kicked the **** out of that drill last night,’’ Golden said of Thursday night’s test, which requires each player to run 14 consecutive 40-yard dashes (with a short amount of time to jog back to begin each dash) in a specified time. “A year ago that drill killed us.

"They put the time in. They put the energy in. They made sacrifices. They had the discipline to go out there and do that. Everybody that has ever been around that conditioning drill – you can’t do it alone. You can’t do it without energy, without the support of your teammates and obviously without unity and I think that proved it last night.’’

Linebacker Denzel Perryman said there were "a lot of hoo-rahs" during and after the test. "The big guys were the last ones to run through and pretty much when they were coming back on the last one almost half the team ran back with them. When they crossed the line they were jumping around."

Perryman said 6-3, 295-pound redshirt junior defensive tackle Luther Robinson "crushed the time'' in his first attempt after failing the test in previous years. "We had people run next to him to push him, standing there to make sure he didn’t give up.

"He did great.''

As for his own strength and conditioning skills, Perryman said his bench press went from 375 to 400, his 225-pound reps went from 24 to 30 and his squat went from 495 to 515.

"It’s all just hard work and a mental thing, going into the weight room with a great attitude,'' he said. "I feel like this team can be really great. Everybody is out here ready to go. everybody is locked in in the playbook, talking to coaches, watching film, doing extra work.''

Safety A.J. Highsmith said the conditioning test "pumped up" Golden. "He was excited about it. He loved the energy we had and the way we attacked it. You have to attack it the same way you do it in a fb game -- just come out and start swinging. Don’t wait around. Take advantage of it right away.''

CHICK DRAWS CROWD

Sophomore defensive end Anthony Chickillo, who had a team-leading (tied with former Cane Marcus Robinson) five sacks last season, is intent on causing havoc this season.

"The game has slowed down a lot for me,'' Chickillo said. "I know what teams are trying to do. I'm ready for a big year."

Added Chickillo: "We're tired of losing. That's something we're willing to say. We're tired of losing. We're going to have a good team this year and we're going to be ready for Boston College."

Chickillo did not want to discuss the recent Yahoo! Sports article that alleges he took improper benefits. But he did seem confident in saying he didn't expect to be declared ineligible by the NCAA.

Practice on Saturday is bright and early: 7:30 a.m. interviews followed by 8:20 a.m. practice. It is closed to the public.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/08/hurricanes-.html#storylink=cpy
[Reporting for duty with original content] Passing by a girl wearing a miniskirt after a cold an.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Good lord Perryman is going to kill somebody.

Great news about Robinson though for real. I really like Smith and Porter but we desperately need depth especially with Porters injury history.

Good lord Perryman is going to kill somebody.

Great news about Robinson though for real. I really like Smith and Porter but we desperately need depth especially with Porters injury history.

This. I'm so jacked about Perryman. It would be nice if we had a guy who balled out as a freshman not regress as a soph for once.

Advertisement
cwoy2j .... WOW .... how true is that statement!!! If the sophomores perform well this year ... it will be a first time in many years!!!

I have no reason to doubt they are in better condition this year. But, statements like this make me skeptical of anything I don't see under actual game conditions. I just don't remember any reports of the conditioning test being so bad last year.

I have no reason to doubt they are in better condition this year. But, statements like this make me skeptical of anything I don't see under actual game conditions. I just don't remember any reports of the conditioning test being so bad last year.

WOW .... really surprised that anyone would make such a statement relative to last year concerns about conditioning! It was a constant concern, stated over and over again by Golden!

I'm talking about last year's conditioning test. Here is an excerpt ftrom Steve Gorten's report of first day of practice last year.
"There's a sense of urgency in the building," Golden said before practice. "The guys know we have to get a lot done in a short period of time, so we're excited about that. I know personally I am just to get back on the field.
"I think we're in good condition. The strength staff and [Andreu Swasey] have done a great job as far as physical conditioning.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. So, what is it? Was he just saying what the fans want to hear? Is that what's happening now?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back