Survive and advance

Lofton is a guy I’ve ragged and he played well.

SJ is a guy I’ve ragged and I didn’t notice him tonight (that’s a good thing), so I’ll give him flowers for being solid.

Smith was a maniac. Unreal game.

Beyond impressed with Fitzgerald. Sure, he got beat, but he was up against some of the best receivers in the conference and more than held his own at corner….. as a SAFETY.

Day looks to really be finding his role.

Thornton leaves a lot to be desired.

Rodriguez’s game is SO much better with Congdon next to him.

Mallory is him.

Fletcher is an all time cane.

We beat the **** out of a Clemson team who beat UNC, on the road under the lights in Death Valley, and ND had to come from behind against the Tar Heels to not cover the spread, which means we’ll SURELY be ranked ahead of them come tomorrow………….

Goodnight.
 
When I say survive, I mean literally survive. The injuries are getting ridiculous, and we’re entering a danger zone. Now let’s use the bye week to get guys healthy.

As for the game:

I’d like to shout out Chase. It was his best game as a Cane. Against teams like Clemson and other more physical teams down the road, he can be an asset. We know his strengths and weaknesses, but he brings physicality and leadership. Toure is in the same boat. His physicality is unmatched. There are times I think he’s going to kill someone.

OL: They got beat up and had some bad moments. (Please never put 71 at tackle again.) But they finished strong, sealing the game with a physical drive that broke Clemson’s back. Props to McCoy for toughing it out. I think we saw his value when he left the game. Please, never put 71 at tackle again.

DL: This was their best game of the season by a mile. A lot of younger guys stepped up when Lightfoot went down. Wilson is coming on strong and looking like the guy we paid for. Moten made the impact I’ve been expecting and quietly dominated inside. This is more of what I expect from the pass rush. We shouldn’t need all the blitzing to create pressure. Scroggins flashed and made plays, and Lafayette caught my eye. We have something there. I loved him as a recruit, but he might be more of an impact player early than I expected.

Secondary: Corners are in survival mode, lol. We’re pretty much playing a bend-but-don’t-break defense, hoping to get teams into long-yardage situations with a sack or penalty. I imagine that will continue until we get healthy or get to a point where the staff can trust some of the younger guys more. O’Connor played well. Fitzgerald was solid, and Dunnigan is becoming a star right in front of our faces. Day had a dumb penalty, but he changes things in the secondary. He brings flexibility by being able to play multiple positions and is a veteran presence.

WRs: Barkate finally had his breakout game, setting the tone with his long run after the catch on the screen. Upshaw was solid with multiple catches. Toney is Toney, and just his presence on the field is huge regardless of the stats.

TE: Nice game by Lofton. Multiple catches and some good blocks inline.

RB: The running game came on strong late, but Mallory is a load and finishes runs like a three-year starter. Both he and Fletcher were solid.

ST: Weinberg finally popped his 50-yard field goal cherry and seems to be more consistent than he was last year at FSU. The kicking game as a whole had a good night, minus the opening kickoff.

Mensah was Mensah , not much to say there. The biggest question people have about him is staring down pressure and making big throws. Well he made an nfl throw on third and long while getting eviscerated on a blitz. He stared that bad boy down and ate it. There should’ve been a personal foul there. Quiet game by his standards. He had more incompletions than td’s so he obviously needs to do better.

My biggest complaint is the missed tackles. They have to get better in this department. 0 has 2–3 every game and is a liability in space.

Other than that, I’d say it was easily our best performance of the season. Now hopefully the injuries aren’t major and we can heal up during the bye week.
I feel like I didn’t see Meriweather do anything wrong on his drive or two at right tackle. Was it really that bad?
 
I was telling my family all week: I don’t care how ugly, just get to the bye week 5-0. It wasn’t perfect, but it was a great showing for the program highlighting just how far it’s come. And we’re 5-0 getting to the most important bye week I can recall as a fan because of the injuries.

Let’s get healthy.
 
Staff trusts him over body of work at both guard and tackle over JC. That and JC hasn’t had any reps at RT.

Merriweather has had reps at RT, but I think he’s better at G.
And JC isn't healthy either right now. We're extremely beat up right now - 100 year flood.
 
Back
Top