Supreme court rules on expanded benefits for athletes!

Advertisement
The NCAA should have got out ahead of this a long time ago. Their hubris and arrogance will be their demise.

This is a complicated issue and should not be rushed. Football and men’s basketball are generally the only profitable sports. Using these anomalies of college athletics as a blanket rule setter for all sports is wrong and stupid.

A super division or conference of elite revenue programs was always inevitable. There needs to be some rules in place for revenue sharing and similar limitations (salary cap) to keep the sport balanced. There is a lot to work out. Programs that care about winning shouldn’t be punished for their commitment but it shouldn’t be the Wild West either.

The sport is going to change drastically, and it is the fault of the NCAA and the Universities.

They could have avoided this with larger stipends and allowing players to generate their own income with the school’s help with NIL. The larger schools kick in to help keep the smaller revenue schools more competitive. This is not charity. If you go to a 32 team elite division, the records will look like the NFL. Imagine blue blood programs winning 1,2, or 3 games for a few years in row.

The greed is going to turn college football into something it never had to be and it could have been avoided with common sense and a touch of fairness.

Advertisement
The NCAA should have got out ahead of this a long time ago. Their hubris and arrogance will be their demise.

This is a complicated issue and should not be rushed. Football and men’s basketball are generally the only profitable sports. Using these anomalies of college athletics as a blanket rule setter for all sports is wrong and stupid.

A super division or conference of elite revenue programs was always inevitable. There needs to be some rules in place for revenue sharing and similar limitations (salary cap) to keep the sport balanced. There is a lot to work out. Programs that care about winning shouldn’t be punished for their commitment but it shouldn’t be the Wild West either.

The sport is going to change drastically, and it is the fault of the NCAA and the Universities.

They could have avoided this with larger stipends and allowing players to generate their own income with the school’s help with NIL. The larger schools kick in to help keep the smaller revenue schools more competitive. This is not charity. If you go to a 32 team elite division, the records will look like the NFL. Imagine blue blood programs winning 1,2, or 3 games for a few years in row.

The greed is going to turn college football into something it never had to be and it could have been avoided with common sense and a touch of fairness.

The last part of ur statement is spot on.

However, this is y I hate when political figures involve themselves in non political matters.

The NCAA is a governing body over most collegiate sports; that includes WOMEN sports. Women sports are not profitable, like at all. The reason I asked if anyone seen the documentary “Operation Varsity Blues” was b/c it wasn’t just about rich parents tainting the system to get their kids in, but it was b/c of how they did it. These parents donated big time funds to the AD, AND snuck their kids on to “walk on” spots of these non-revenue generated sports b/c they went under the radar.

Guess what I learned; **** near every single sport outside of men’s b-ball & CFB is in the red. But here’s the thing; as Title IX surges & girls wanting equal rights...is the gov’t considering them getting NILs & compensation even though their sports are costing the schools money? Are we saying the men shouldn’t be considered amateurs, but the girls are? And if that’s the case....holy chit, the backlash.

I agree reform needs to happen w/ student athletes, maybe on some tier rate, but I simply hate when politicians stick their nose in chit that’s outside of their scope.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with athletes getting paid. As long as the compensation is taxable and reportable.

And any booster or athlete caught trying to continue profiting under the table should be prosecuted to the fullest extent by the IRS.

I used to have the opinion that a college degree was sufficent compensation of athletes.

That was before college degrees don't have the same kind of value 30 years ago. In certain areas, as a professional tradesman, *I* make more money than more than a few people with four year degrees. And I have the ability to eventually have an oppurtunity to make six figures without the need to be burdened with tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt.

So, yes, I believe compensation for student athletes should be a thing. College football alone is a billion dollar industry, with a 'B'. And fueling their industry with essentially the equivalent of interns, is morally wrong and should come to an end.

The last part of ur statement is spot on.

However, this is y I hate when political figures involve themselves in non political matters.

The NCAA is a governing body over most collegiate sports; that includes WOMEN sports. Women sports are not profitable, like at all. The reason I asked if anyone seen the documentary “Operation Varsity Blues” was b/c it wasn’t just about rich parents tainting the system to get their kids in, but it was b/c of how they did it. These parents donated big time funds to the AD, AND snuck their kids on to “walk on” spots of these non-revenue generated sports b/c they went under the radar.

Guess what I learned; **** near every single sport outside of men’s b-ball & CFB is in the red. But here’s the thing; as Title IX surges & girls wanting equal rights...is the gov’t considering them getting NILs & compensation even though their sports are costing the schools money? Are we saying the men shouldn’t be considered amateurs, but the girls are? And if that’s the case....holy chit, the backlash.

I agree reform needs to happen w/ student athletes, maybe on some tier rate, but I simply hate when politicians stick their nose in chit that’s outside of their scope.

I agree.

That’s one reason it could be a mess,because of politics. Non revenue generating sports, whether men or women, should not get the same compensation. It’s easy to determine who is bringing in money and should be paid.

The beauty is the fairness. If women’s soccer or men’s crew want to get more, they need butts in the seats and eyes on the tube. The current system is an extension of slavery. A bunch of mostly white kids getting free educations off revenue generated by mostly black kids. I often think this fueled the hubris in propping up shamateurism way past it’s expiration.

All athletes should have NIL without interference in their personal revenue generating activities.

Still It gets murky because every football team and men’s b-ball team does not make a profit but you can argue their presence bolsters the sport. There is much to weed through.

Advertisement
First, I find it interesting how many CFB fans or people in general reject the notion players should receive more when the revenues generated by CFB rise. Many seemingly have no issue paying Dabo or Saban $8-10M annually, and other coaches $4-7M. Cane fans complained of the frugality of the Administration in comparison.

Second, players having the right to earn anything beyond what ownership and management allows risks exposure of a bag game more or less sanctioned by the NCAA for the benefit of a relative handful of programs. The system is corrupt and cannot be repaired. Burn it down.

From the oral arguments today, it seems like the justices are going to rule for the players. They were very skeptical of the NCAA's arguments, but also weighed the implications about what this could mean for amateur sports. Even Clarence Thomas, who is known to rarely speak in oral arguments and once went years without speaking in one, was very critical of the NCAA's argument that players should remain amateurs because of the financial cost of supporting them. He argued if that really was the case, then the exorbitant increase in coaching salaries shouldn't be feasible.

Personally, I think Miami is in a better situation than most schools to benefit. You have to remember that most P5 schools, despite their large fanbases, are not located in large markets with Fortune 500 companies ready to use players as marketing tools. Why go to some SEC school and make money from being in some regional food chain's ad campaign when you have numerous banks, cruise lines, and tourist operations just waiting to make money in Miami?
Thomas is talking because of the new format. His silence was mainly to not participate in non stop interruptions. Now they go in order and he bats in the 2 hole.

I have no idea how NLI is going to work but it will change this sport but like most things only the top athletes are going to benefit from this.

I agree.

That’s one reason it could be a mess,because of politics. Non revenue generating sports, whether men or women, should not get the same compensation. It’s easy to determine who is bringing in money and should be paid.

The beauty is the fairness. If women’s soccer or men’s crew want to get more, they need butts in the seats and eyes on the tube. The current system is an extension of slavery. A bunch of mostly white kids getting free educations off revenue generated by mostly black kids. I often think this fueled the hubris in propping up shamateurism way past it’s expiration.

All athletes should have NIL without interference in their personal revenue generating activities.

Still It gets murky because every football team and men’s b-ball team does not make a profit but you can argue their presence bolsters the sport. There is much to weed through.

Agree w/ all of this.

The argument yesteryear was that Athletes r getting free room & board , along w/ a free education worth $100k’s. Well, that’s debunked b/c most of these kids don’t even stay in school, and as someone pointed out, degrees don’t hold the same weight as yesteryear. ****, my baby cousin who I’ve spoke on here b4 (went to Michigan) graduated in 3.5 yrs, and is not in the field she got her degree in.

These athletes r generating billions in revenue, whether that’s from TV deals, donations pouring in to support the school, ticket sales, endorsements, etc etc....hence buildings pop up, and these coaches r getting paid more than NFL coaches.

Again, the system gotta be reformed, but w/ this Title IX situation, plus as u stated, some programs aren’t revenue profitable, so they really need to set some guidelines & tables.

Advertisement
This is gonna be a disaster. You guys do realize the USWNT is complaining about not getting paid enough when they negotiated their own CBA. Imagine what college girls are gonna say when they are left out of this. People these days don’t care about facts and numbers. It’s all about “equity” whatever that is.

The NCAA will cease to exist. Only P5 schools will be able to even pay the football and basketball guys. G5 schools can’t afford it and neither can any D2 or D3 schools. The fact remains that this will bankrupt many schools and they won’t be able to field any athletics at all.

They will work it out.

College football and men’s basketball are REAL MONEY. Feminism gets a lot of attention, but when REAL MONEY is on the table it always takes a back seat. Notice WNBA players get a lot of press on ESPN, but nothing has changed because the league loses money.

Feminism is allowed to get its attention as long as it doesn’t interfere with the moneyed interest.

They will figure it all out.

They will work it out.

College football and men’s basketball are REAL MONEY. Feminism gets a lot of attention, but when REAL MONEY is on the table it always takes a back seat. Notice WNBA players get a lot of press on ESPN, but nothing has changed because the league loses money.

Feminism is allowed to get its attention as long as it doesn’t interfere with the moneyed interest.

They will figure it all out.
I think you’re underestimating woke culture. There will be a bill introduced to pay women if they find a way to not pay them. If that doesn’t work they will have corporate sponsors put pressure on the NCAA as well. IMO eventually the tax payers will be footing the bill.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think you’re underestimating woke culture. There will be a bill introduced to pay women if they find a way to not pay them. If that doesn’t work they will have corporate sponsors put pressure on the NCAA as well. IMO eventually the tax payers will be footing the bill.

I don’t see it.

There will be noise for sure, but there won’t be much anyone can do when you see how far in the red all the other sports (men or women) are.

The major programs might just supplement the system to avoid hassle, but it won’t mean much for non revenue sports/ schools.

I’m not even sure how they decide how much to pay football and men’s basketball and do all players and schools have the same salary? Do they get agents and negotiate?

The WNBA noise is just that and won’t get anywhere. There is nothing more fair than tv ratings and ticket sales. That fact will prevail over the noise. I am just extremely interested to find out what system they decide to roll out as the first iteration of pay for play and how many schools / sports get included or left behind.

I don’t see it.

There will be noise for sure, but there won’t be much anyone can do when you see how far in the red all the other sports (men or women) are.

The major programs might just supplement the system to avoid hassle, but it won’t mean much for non revenue sports/ schools.

I’m not even sure how they decide how much to pay football and men’s basketball and do all players and schools have the same salary? Do they get agents and negotiate?

The WNBA noise is just that and won’t get anywhere. There is nothing more fair than tv ratings and ticket sales. That fact will prevail over the noise. I am just extremely interested to find out what system they decide to roll out as the first iteration of pay for play and how many schools / sports get included or left behind.
They just got MLB to move the All Star game based off of lies. They are now coming after the Masters and trying to get CBS to back out of their coverage. Don’t forget a second think they won’t come for college sports.

To be honest they’ve already been coming after college sports. Just a few years ago they boycotted NC bc of a bill that prevented biological males from being in the same bathroom of little girls. Just the other week the NCAA threatened to withhold any events in South Dakota if Noem signed that transgender bill, barring biological males from competing in girls sports.

Last edited:
NCAA has no one to blame but themselves. They buried their heads in the sand and ignored an oncoming tidal wave.

Now the government, special interest and the media deciding for them.

All the pigs who ate at the trough for decades without remorse are getting exactly what they deserve.

Advertisement
Back