Supreme court rules on expanded benefits for athletes!

Advertisement
So Boosters would now be allowed to give a athlete "10,000" (wink wink )laptops for a good season??
Not trying to be a debbie downer about it but who's gonna keep track of what the athletes are getting and if they're really getting it??

NCAA response:

giphy.gif

Advertisement
This will be different to say the least. Only the future will reveal how these changes will affect these kids (recruits). Lots of money will be thrown at these kids.

So Boosters would now be allowed to give a athlete "10,000" (wink wink )laptops for a good season??
Not trying to be a debbie downer about it but who's gonna keep track of what the athletes are getting and if they're really getting it??

Since ALL the BIGTIME colleges playing BIGTIME sports are able to pay. (Yes I know about Title XIII)

??

Why are so many people OUTSIDE of football so concerned about how much athletes could make in college?? What's it to them??It's not coming out of their pocket??

I've always wondered about that

The only person I'm concerned about how much they are making is ME.

Could care less what someone else is making or what they have.

Since ALL the BIGTIME colleges playing BIGTIME sports are able to pay. (Yes I know about Title XIII)

??

Why are so many people OUTSIDE of football so concerned about how much athletes could make in college?? What's it to them??It's not coming out of their pocket??

Did you read my post?? ... If we or anyone for that matter gets caught falsifying info pertaining to "benefits " it could land us in hot water with the NCAA and considering the NCAA already dislikes us a bunch we would get drilled pretty hard.... With this in effect what's to stop a Nevin Shapiro type from "buying" Laptops and such for the team that somehow turn into cash??
I mean I get kids get bags and such but this opens a whole other can of worms so.... All I ask is who's responsible for keeping track of this stuff to avoid getting dunked in hot water???

Did you read my post?? ... If we or anyone for that matter gets caught falsifying info pertaining to "benefits " it could land us in hot water with the NCAA and considering the NCAA already dislikes us a bunch we would get drilled pretty hard.... With this in effect what's to stop a Nevin Shapiro type from "buying" Laptops and such for the team that somehow turn into cash??
I mean I get kids get bags and such but this opens a whole other can of worms so.... All I ask is who's responsible for keeping track of this stuff to avoid getting dunked in hot water???

I did read your post

I asked a different open question..outside of rules considerations. It was not an attack ...nor was I seeking information on rules of which I am already very much aware.

Seems you misunderstood my intent / motive in seeking to satisfy my curiosity by asking my question. Maybe I wasn't clear.

Regardless never mind, forget thatI asked you.

Im sure i can get my answer from others who understand what I'm asking.

Thx

Last edited:
Advertisement

The ruling says "colleges". Not "Boosters".

Then why are you so worried about how much money college football players are making? What do you care?

Advertisement
Then why are you so worried about how much money college football players are making? What do you care?

????

I suggest you reread or have someone read to you what I wrote

After that's done, I doubt that you'll feel that your response has anything to do with anything I wrote.

Last edited:

This is no longer "student-athlete". This is employment. Long-term healthcare? Those liabilities alone will cost schools hundreds of $millions of dollars if they follow through with it. If not mistaken, as the NFL has dabbled with the same topic, those costs have been estimated into the $billions.

Great step for the athletes, "good" step for well resourced programs, "bad, very bad" for schools unwilling/unable to keep pace.

This could (likely will) lead to creation of "super league" years from now taking primacy over what we know today as D1P5.

This will also place more friction/tension on tje de facto "portal free agency" process/policies.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Once they change from volunteers to paid employees, the laws require a ton more from the schools. This could be the end of non-P5 football. At best, the haves vs have nots will be massive. Miami is sitting in a pretty good position but still could get left behind.

From the oral arguments today, it seems like the justices are going to rule for the players. They were very skeptical of the NCAA's arguments, but also weighed the implications about what this could mean for amateur sports. Even Clarence Thomas, who is known to rarely speak in oral arguments and once went years without speaking in one, was very critical of the NCAA's argument that players should remain amateurs because of the financial cost of supporting them. He argued if that really was the case, then the exorbitant increase in coaching salaries shouldn't be feasible.

Personally, I think Miami is in a better situation than most schools to benefit. You have to remember that most P5 schools, despite their large fanbases, are not located in large markets with Fortune 500 companies ready to use players as marketing tools. Why go to some SEC school and make money from being in some regional food chain's ad campaign when you have numerous banks, cruise lines, and tourist operations just waiting to make money in Miami?

Advertisement
Back