Sunday Statistical Tidbits

View as article

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Ok, we're 4-0. That's really the number that counts. And, that at this moment 6 days before game, we're going into an 8PM against FSU as a relatively healthy team.

Here are some other statistics and tidbits I found noteworthy.

Defense:

- We allowed the least amount of yards to GaTech yesterday than we had in the last 5 years. That's somewhat misleading because it's not by much. We could have been better and our OLBs, Nickel and Safeties had some issues with the pitch play.
- At 3.6, Miami is #2 in the country in yards allowed per play. That includes being ahead of Michigan, Bama and Clemson. Of course, we played 3 easier teams to start the season, so this and the following numbers need to be kept under a close eye over the month of October.
- At 3.0, Miami is #5 in the country in 3rd down conversions per game.
- At 20%, Miami is #4 in the country in 3rd down conversion.
- The only team in the top 25 of 3rd down conversion % with a bigger differential than Miami from 2015 to 2016 is Toledo.
- In 2016, Miami has not allowed a point in the 4th quarter. Last year, we allowed just under 10 points per 4th. Like many of these, expect this to change.
- If it feels like Miami hasn't been tested through the air, it's because it hasn't yet. Opponents are averaging 125 yards passing per game, which lands us at the #1 spot.
- To go with that stat, Miami is allowing a mere 4.8 yards per pass attempt, which is #2 in the country (Michigan is #1 ).
- Sitting at #1, Miami is averaging 4.3 sacks/game
- One of the bigger passing defense numbers to look for over the next month is that we're only allowing 50% completion percentage. As I've said, we have not yet played a QB who can hit the intermediate spots against our defense. That will begin this week.

Offense:

- We are #18 in yards per point
- Despite showing less than half of the formations and playcalls available to CMR and that I saw in fall practice, we are #5 in points per play
- Not surprisingly given the teams we've played and how the games have gone, we're 25th, 26th, 16th and 62nd in points per quarter in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, respectively.
- #3 in the country in yards per play. Yards per play differential from offense to defense is a critical number. We'll watch it for you over the next month.
- We plummeted in 3rd down conversion percentage in this last game. Big, big issue and it speaks to a few different things from Richt's decision not to throw on early downs to Kaaya's continued issues evading pass rushers. We're close to the same % we were last year.

All in all, the numbers appear skewed to me. The key is watching these very numbers over October's schedule and interpreting in the context of what I presume will finally be a fully open playbook.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I expect the offense to look better as we open the playbook. I was sitting in the end zone and I swear we ran maybe 12 plays all game yesterday. After halfway through the 2nd quarter I felt like I knew every route combination and was making my own reads after the snap and finding the guy with Kaaya.

When we open the book up and start using Herndon and Njoku more I expect the offense to be even better in all aspects and third downs to become much easier.

I am anxious to see how the defense does against a much better offense this week.

3rd downs on both sides of the ball have been my favorite part of this season by far.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION], this may be off subject, but I am curious to your thoughts on how you think Miami defends FSU. Specifically how does Miami avoid another BYE/Texas situation with Diaz's defense, and perhaps what has changed with Diaz since.

@LuCane, this may be off subject, but I am curious to your thoughts on how you think Miami defends FSU. Specifically how does Miami avoid another BYE/Texas situation with Diaz's defense, and perhaps what has changed with Diaz since.

What makes you think that's on the horizon? From my understanding of what Diaz was calling during that time, there were a number of different reasons for that situation at Texas against BYU. The way you describe it here is as if it's something we should expect to be bubbling beneath the surface.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lu, question: they say in boxing that 'styles make fights'

So with that said, how does UM's style on both sides of the ball match-up with FSU's?

IMO, FSU has had problems with dual-threat QB's( something which Kaaya isn't) and Francois could be considered a dual-threat QB that can both throw and run effectively.

So with that said, how does UM's style on both sides of the ball match-up with FSU's?

IMO, FSU has had problems with dual-threat QB's( something which Kaaya isn't) and Francois could be considered a dual-threat QB that can both throw and run effectively.

I believe the bolded as much as anyone, K9. The short answer is that I predicted a double digit win before the season. I'd prefer to have Jermaine Grace to help that come true and Kaaya hasn't shown me what I expected (*yet*), but I still think we match up with what they like to do offensively, and the loss of Derwin James helps our offense out tremendously because their defense's middle is vulnerable. I'll get a lot more into this if we do a podcast this week or through a breakdown post.

I believe the bolded as much as anyone, K9. The short answer is that I predicted a double digit win before the season. I'd prefer to have Jermaine Grace to help that come true and Kaaya hasn't shown me what I expected (*yet*), but I still think we match up with what they like to do offensively, and the loss of Derwin James helps our offense out tremendously because their defense's middle is vulnerable. I'll get a lot more into this if we do a podcast this week or through a breakdown post.

Yeah, thats why games like yesterday because of Gatech style of play, need to almost be thrown out( and really only be used in games where teams play that type of offense). I think our front four/seven had to do stuff fundamentally and schematically that they wont have to break out again till next season - when they play the Jackets - again.

I believe( and hope?) that are guys this week must feel as though they have the shackles off( as good as Francois might be) after what they faced in Atlanta

Offensively, well coach Richt, let it all out. It's time. Whatever bullets we have in the chamber, fire'em. This is truly a legacy game for Kayaa...

@LuCane, this may be off subject, but I am curious to your thoughts on how you think Miami defends FSU. Specifically how does Miami avoid another BYE/Texas situation with Diaz's defense, and perhaps what has changed with Diaz since.

What makes you think that's on the horizon? From my understanding of what Diaz was calling during that time, there were a number of different reasons for that situation at Texas against BYU. The way you describe it here is as if it's something we should expect to be bubbling beneath the surface.

I don't think we should expect it that type of defensive performance, but coming into this game we have faced 3 teams where our defense was overwhelming more talented talented than their offense (FAMU, FAU, App St) and one team that runs a gimmick style offense (GT). FSU will really be our first test against a team that would even have the talent to exploit our defense (not saying they will). I guess what I am really asking is what type of adjustments has Diaz made to his defense since and what are the keys to Diaz defense not being exploited and what type of things do you think FSU will try to do to exploit it.

Advertisement
Lu, I see many mentions from others and now I see you elude to this hidden offense that will make an appearance during one of our tougher games. I have heard this type of stuff in past and wonder if its true. Especially with some results on field (kaaya looking erratic, CMR not having confidence to even try to move ball prior to halftime vs. GT, etc.) Is that type of stuff supposed to change against tougher competition? Maybe I am too skeptical from the last few years but I am more of what I see is what we are.

Help me understand the thinking behind this a little, appreciate it

Great info as usual Lu, awesome having you back posting.

Do you think our dl and young line backers are up to the challenge of slowing down cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit baffled by the refusal to throw on first down in the second half as well. It felt like everybody knew what we were doing every down and the O line was unable to impose its will. Do you think there was a reason to NOT use the pass to open up the run at that point?

I was a bit baffled by the refusal to throw on first down in the second half as well. It felt like everybody knew what we were doing every down and the O line was unable to impose its will. Do you think there was a reason to NOT use the pass to open up the run at that point?

the one drive that really irked me was the one to begin the 4th quarter near mid-field, Tech was completely on its heels and one more score ends any chances for them and we wen run-run-long 3rd down. That was puzzling to me

Advertisement

I don't think we should expect it that type of defensive performance, but coming into this game we have faced 3 teams where our defense was overwhelming more talented talented than their offense (FAMU, FAU, App St) and one team that runs a gimmick style offense (GT). FSU will really be our first test against a team that would even have the talent to exploit our defense (not saying they will). I guess what I am really asking is what type of adjustments has Diaz made to his defense since and what are the keys to Diaz defense not being exploited and what type of things do you think FSU will try to do to exploit it.

Diaz runs 2-read coverages behind what is basically a 4-3 Over front. My understanding is that he played this way before he got to Texas and during his first year there. He was asked to shift to press-man on the outside. As a philosophical change. Frankly, I didn't watch enough of Texas to tell you either way. I did watch him before and after Texas and he has moved back to his preferred 2-read coverages. Yesterday, we saw different stuff, as expected. I think you'll see a combination against FSU and, as I've been saying all year, it will be time to see if the weak spots (behind the LBs and in front of the Safeties) are taken advantage of by a Dual threat QB who can throw the ball a bit.

Lu, I see many mentions from others and now I see you elude to this hidden offense that will make an appearance during one of our tougher games. I have heard this type of stuff in past and wonder if its true. Especially with some results on field (kaaya looking erratic, CMR not having confidence to even try to move ball prior to halftime vs. GT, etc.) Is that type of stuff supposed to change against tougher competition? Maybe I am too skeptical from the last few years but I am more of what I see is what we are.

Help me understand the thinking behind this a little, appreciate it

I don't think it's a hidden offense. I think they flashed some of the formations more consistently yesterday to get FSU thinking about it and prepping for it. But, from watching some of fall practice, I can tell you outright that they haven't run route combinations and plays they've worked on. I don't know if that's a "hidden offense," but it's stuff not being utilized.

Yesterday, you saw them use the RPO for something other than a bubble screen. GT had a LB pinch in and Coley, who was lined up in the slot, beat his defender on a simple read from Kaaya over the middle. I feel like Richt has shown "little glimpses" of a bunch of different things without putting it together yet.

One thing I won't go too much detail on but will mention because it was shown yesterday is Njoku in the slot. It's been out there, but you haven't seen us use it for any great advantage....yet.

Diaz runs 2-read coverages behind what is basically a 4-3 Over front. My understanding is that he played this way before he got to Texas and during his first year there. He was asked to shift to press-man on the outside. As a philosophical change. Frankly, I didn't watch enough of Texas to tell you either way. I did watch him before and after Texas and he has moved back to his preferred 2-read coverages. Yesterday, we saw different stuff, as expected. I think you'll see a combination against FSU and, as I've been saying all year, it will be time to see if the weak spots (behind the LBs and in front of the Safeties) are taken advantage of by a Dual threat QB who can throw the ball a bit.

Do you think FSU puts in a designed Francois option look with Cook as the pitch today, or do they wait for Monday?

Advertisement
Defense will be tested. But one thing im sure about, we will continue to bring pressure with 4 and with blitzes. Also we showed the 3-4 look v GT. Should be interesting how much pressure we get from that. Not too worried about GT, don't think Diaz had ever faced that before and the FR LBs. Alot of times we were a second to late to cut off the pitch man's angle.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Do you think FSU puts in a designed Francois option look with Cook as the pitch today, or do they wait for Monday?

I may be mistaken, but I feel like I already saw them do that this year. I can't imagine it's their staple. The biggest takeaway, as it relates to us, from yesterday's UNC game is the middle of the field on both sides. Francois hit their big TE. He at least showed he can make that throw, which can actually really hurt us. On the other side, UNC used FSU's middle of the field as if it were 7 on 7 practice.

If FSU tightens that up, then we need to find Njoku, Coley and Richards in those deep corners. I'm just an internet football nerd, but I start the game with a double play call. RPO on first down with Herndon/Njoku on the field and then immediate tempo with a deep shot downfield. Whether we hit it or not, we want to back up their currently vulnerable secondary.

I may be mistaken, but I feel like I already saw them do that this year. I can't imagine it's their staple. The biggest takeaway, as it relates to us, from yesterday's UNC game is the middle of the field on both sides. Francois hit their big TE. He at least showed he can make that throw, which can actually really hurt us. On the other side, UNC used FSU's middle of the field as if it were 7 on 7 practice.

If FSU tightens that up, then we need to find Njoku, Coley and Richards in those deep corners. I'm just an internet football nerd, but I start the game with a double play call. RPO on first down with Herndon/Njoku on the field and then immediate tempo with a deep shot downfield. Whether we hit it or not, we want to back up their currently vulnerable secondary.

Worried about our Lbs in space on the perimeter against Cook. He eats up angles to the corner in crowded space better than anyone I have seen and we were subpar in our persuit agains GT. This will be a whole different animal.

I think Cook's first TD last year was with Golsen on an option play that went for like 75 yards or so...

Advertisement
Back