Success in 2016

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
Undoubtedly, with the type of personalities Mark Richt has assembled, and in hearing each of our position coach's passion & aggression - it seems they each have Alpha Dog mentalities!! ....And I gotta say, from the sound of their NSD interviews, I was **** near convinced this team will indeed be much more tougher mentally - if these kids buy in, and adopt the same persona of the coaches leading them to battle!!

However, our recent history has proven that while each new regime comes in to fix one glaring area, it tends to lack further solutions in others. Example: Coker brought On-field Sportsmanship / Shannon brought Off-field Discipline / Golden brought us to an all time low of Pu$$ification!!

So, will tougher be enough to equate to more wins??
After all, it seemed as if Art Kehoe was just as tough as Stone Cold Steve Austin, but it that didn't bleed into the group he was responsible for...

Yet we have reason for hope, with Donna Gone! It seems Julio Frenk aka "Tony Montana" had enough sense to placed his trust in a 'football god' to have it's way on Greentree field once again; rather than a HC that can verbalize poor output into non-existence. ...Coach Mark Richt, while a low key Christian man, who probably wouldn't voice the term "hit-stick-bust-D!@k", knows it takes that kind of mentality to turn this ship around, and has surrounded himself with the right "kind of guys" to at least bully this team towards sniffing the top 25 again!

Apple to apple, this coaching staff at each position, would open a can of whoop @ss, on last year's staff. (Except maybe Kevin Beard) LOL!

Although all good things football starts with the right kind of guys! To be considered relevant, and impact is needed, like NOW! This is THE UNIV OF MIAMI!

...How quickly will Thomas Brown (1st year @ Off Coordinator), Todd Hartley (previous GA Dir of Plyr Personnel), Jon Richt (Coach's Son), Mark Rumph (HS Coach), Ephraim Banda (MS Def Asst) adapt to perfecting their crafts, at each of their respective positions, on their 1st go at it??

One would have to trust that CMR knows what he's doing. At face value he's covered his basis, with a proven OL/DL Coaches, and a reputable Defensive Coordinator in Manny Diaz Jr; in the areas that experience is definitely needed most in today's game. The major shot caller's are good!

Just hope the umbrella of our experienced coaches is enough to COVER our not-so-experienced guys, until it'll gel together; so this assembling of young coaches turns out to be genius -- rather than a negative recruiting pitch for other teams moving forward! A 7-5 season, even with it being CMR's 1st shot as the HC, may be enough to cause kids to see Da U as as lost cause.

So, can theses coaches both teach and learn quick enough in 2016, to bring DA U back into the national conversation again?? And how many wins will it take to consider CMR's return a step in the right direction??

Yeah, there's allot riding on 2016!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Am I the only one on wait and see mode? Way to many seasons ive been disappointed even with a coaching change.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's y I'm not in wait and see mode:

Mark Richt....proven winner in a Power 5 conference. National Championship coach as an O coordinator. Resurrected a bottom feeding UGA program into being a contender every year.

I'm combining that experience with our fertile recruiting ground with the current talent we have on a roster and that, to me, at least equate to a ACCCG game appearance.

I'm not some "super fan" or "Mr. Optimistic"...I'm just connecting dots as a football fan and observer of this team's potential. We won 8 games w Manny Moe and Jack running this show; I'm "fairly" confident this staff can add at least 2 more wins

I want to put on my orange and green glasses but I can't for a few reasons. In regards to our depth chart, we have a few glaring holes...

Corner
Corner is obviously a huge concern and not much needs to be said as we all know we are very thin at this position- we have one proven guy and everyone else is green and the position simply hasn't been recruited well (hopefully someone can step up in a major way). Lack of quantity and quality will make for a long year, I expect a lot of zone. Further, Virginia Tech, who should be offensively improved, and North Carolina will put a lot of stress on this weakness as well as place a lot of stress on Diaz, who is known to have trouble stopping the spread.

O-Line
We were a young and inexperienced group. Hopefully another off-season of strength and conditioning, more experience/continuity, and better coaching will yield a better outcome- we do in fact return every starter. However, I am skeptical of our group for two main reasons: one, usually an inexperienced group comes on late in the season but that wasn't the case with this group (we got our *** kicked in the bowl game), and two, our scheme change will benefit us in some ways but will also hurt us. I believe that Coley, yes one of the most inept coordinators we ever had, masked some of our o-line deficiencies by constantly placing Kaaya in the gun. In fact, we rarely ever line up under center and when we did we usually ran the ball. But what struck me was the few times we lined up under center and threw the ball- this usually ended in a sack or QB hurry for the opposing defense. I tend to think that talent is more to blame than inexperience and youth in this specific case, but hopefully I'm wrong.

D-Line
Again, this group gets a lot of love from posters on this board but the reality is that pretty much every player in this unit is unproven or, to date, has only been average. Now I completely understand that Dorito was a true professional at squandering defensive line talent but again we have no idea what we're working with or dealing with. We do have a lot of highly rated prospects coming out of high school and we do have one of the best d-line coaches in CFB, so I'm hoping this unit can go from crap to at least very good.

WR
Hopefully Kaaya can pull a Tom Brady and make this unit look better than it really is. We have one proven WR and lack quantity, meaning we don't have any room for error (like busts) or injury. I hope Mullins qualifies, if anything just for depth purposes.

Projection
Even with all of the above, we still have more than enough talent to win the coastal and compete for an ACC championship. Hopefully our coaching can take an average 2015 team and make them Coastal champs, I don't see our ceiling much higher than that, especially given the fact that all of these players will be learning and playing in new schemes.

I don't get it...everybody is so broken up about NSD. Listen Richt brought in a great staff who knows what to do. They're getting things fixed behind the scenes (S+C, position specific training). And this will bring a better team in 2016. I say:

1. We beat FSU this year, and finish with a strong record
2. We win the Coastal
3. We lose to Clemson in Charlotte, but the game is tight - we look good
4. That sets up a good bowl game that we win
5. Top 10 recruiting class next February, with Richt bringing in some beasts

Screen shot this ladies - because it's all gonna happen!!

Wait and see mode too although I want to reach and put on the orange and green glasses

No reason to ever take them off. I've been wearing them since 1962 and have been through far worse than last decade.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cautiously optimistic about the season. Although I do believe it will take awhile to get the pussification out of our players that Golden and crew let set in. However, I do see a successful season on the horizon.

My predictions are:
Miami will win a game it's not supposed to win/not expected to win. Call it the Richt effect. Whether it be FSU or ND, possibly the ACC championship game.

Miami will lose a game it's not supposed to lose. Call it the Golden effect. Probably within the coastal division and God help us if it's the App State game.

Miami gets into a good bowl game and wins it.

Miami finishes the season ranked in the top 15.

All of this leads to a top 5 signing class next year.

The key is for all the players to buy in during the off-season. Time for the guys who haven't played up to their talent level to finally reach it. Oh and avoiding debilitating injuries too especially positions that are thin.

9 wins looking better as the year goes on. Richt deserves the benefit of the doubt, so I don't feel the need demand more specifically.

I think a major positive is that we have some serious playmakers coming in as freshman that haven't be tarnished by AG. If the older guys don't change their style of play and attitude then the youngins are gonna take their jobs.

Advertisement
There's likely a group of Canes fans who think we should be title contenders right now who will be very disappointed next season when they realize this team needs a multi-year rebuild. I think this team, as is, can compete for the Coastal, but I woudn't be surprised if they won 7-8 games then 10-12 in Kaaya's senior year, then a step back to 7-8 the next year. I think it's time as fans that we come to grips with reality and accept that barring a crazy influx of talent - like a top 2 recruiting class of studs - this Canes rebuild won't happen over night. This staff will have to start landing 5-star talents in bunches the way FSU and 'Bama does if they want sustained success, and that sort of recuriting windfall will take time to nurture.

I wanna give Richt the benefit of the doubt, but Coker, Shannon, and Golden ruined that for me. Once we beat FSU I'll know we're truly on the way back.

Advertisement
We aren't as bad as everyone thinks position wise... Most of our poor performance was due to coaching rather than talent. How soon we forget the Jethro and Paul Williams situation... ��

My opinion:

DBs: we are better than most think and the right coaching could bring out a little more out of our players. Corn is first round talent as we all know and locks down one side. Redwine was very impressive in his first year. I really like malek young as a contributor in his true freshman year. Let's see what Rumph can get out of Jackson, Henley and Mayes. If they improve, that group is more solid than most think!

DL: i really think a lot of people are underestimating how good this group can be. Pair that with THE BEST DL coach in college and this will be by far the most improved and best group on the D! Tell me why not??? DTs Norton and Willis are starters and **** good with Courtel, McIntosh, and Moten providing very good depth. At DE, do i even need to say anything? By far the best group with Muhammad, Thomas, Djack and Harris (if he sticks at DE). Pair that with the youngins in Patchan, Bethel and JoJo and this will be a very nice group. Expect them to be elite

LB: this is IMO the question mark on the team due to expecting Owens and Gayot back 100% and improvement from Young and Perry. If not then we need to count on Shaq, Zach and Pickney to learn quick and ball out. Obviously grace will be rock solid. I can see this unit taking time to gel and mesh. But the talent is everywhere!

OL: another group that I think is being underestimated. Last year they entered with very little experience and had a ton of growing pains learning the position. Coupled with the "round Robbin" golden played with them to get them experience, it forced them into a situation with no group unity. Towards the end they improved some but still had issues. Let's be real, you have elite talent all over the place. Darling, McDermott St. Louis, Linder and either isadora or Milo start in my opinion. Any major injuries puts a massive damper on this group and our 2016 success. The starters will be more than fine, and I am good with odogwu, gall, knighton, etc as backups.

Not worth elaborating about the others because we are more than fine! QB is locked, RB is insanely deep and WR, TE and elite. We have 7 guys at WR that will play a lot and be a lot of fun to watch. IMO Richards will surprise a lot of people like Coley did his freshman year. (I didn't include Mullins with the grades unknown). In order of stats i expect the following:

Coley
Richards
Cager
Bruce/berrios
Lewis
Langham

I'm not drinking all the Koolaid but i definitely took some sips because we now have the elite coaching to match the talent. There will/may be bumps along the road this year with new system in place, but a proven coach will come in and drastically improve the culture and mentality on this team.

Last edited:
To those of low expectations, that state 7 to 8 wins is acceptable, in 2016, are out of their gourds. We could have done that with Fraulden. The new sheriff will bring in 10 wins MINIMUM!

To those of low expectations, that state 7 to 8 wins is acceptable, in 2016, are out of their gourds. We could have done that with Fraulden. The new sheriff will bring in 10 wins MINIMUM!

We must be right, since we had a nole fan neg both of us... funny, my closest friend is a nole fan, and he has completely changed his tune and acknowledges our future success is imminent.

Agree 10 wins the minimum. Miami should have won at least 11 this year if we had coaching... Clemson and unc we got our a** beat. Miami should never lose especially like that. But Fsu, cincinatti, Washington state? We definitely should have won those games. Miami has even more talent than we did in 2015 so I expect at least 10 wins..

Advertisement
Back