Strong/Muschamp/Steele

Which DC do you like best for Miami out of the three?

• Total voters
Advertisement
Steele. We need to breathe some life into our Defense! Strong and Muschamp would be here just long enough for them to get HC opportunities elsewhere. Steele appears to be a life long DC with a proven track record. He has experience doing exactly what he need him to do, which is take the keys to the D, and let manny be the CEO.

Advertisement
I’d go Steele 1 because he has actually been focused on and called a defense recently. Strong and Muschamp have been doing the HC deal for the better part of 10 years. With the way offenses evolve, I’m taking the guy who has been focused on just defending that recently. I’d say 2 would be Strong.

Steele. We need to breathe some life into our Defense! Strong and Muschamp would be here just long enough for them to get HC opportunities elsewhere. Steele appears to be a life long DC with a proven track record. He has experience doing exactly what he need him to do, which is take the keys to the D, and let manny be the CEO.
If we followed this strategy then we would never hire anyone worth **** like we have the last 19 years. You want to hire coordinator’s that bring value and upgrade your team. Which means, you hope to keep them as long as possible until they build up a high enough demand to be wanted as a HC somewhere else.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Truth be told I wouldn't mind if he tapped into a NFL guy; somebody that's detailed/game plan oriented. The tendency of a lot of college DCs are to be a "we do what we do, regardless of the opponent".

Truth be told I wouldn't mind if he tapped into a NFL guy; somebody that's detailed/game plan oriented. The tendency of a lot of college DCs are to be a "we do what we do, regardless of the opponent".
I would love an NFL guy. The right hire can make a drastic impact to our Defense right away.

I would prefer to have a defense that plays a majority of man to man for the Cb’s. From what I remember of strong he plays mostly zone correct?

Advertisement
I’d take Steele. Ypp is a silly metric to base it off I’d rather points per game or something more impactful. We’ve seen Miami have a ton yards but only score 21. Most teams tighten up when it’s in the red zone

If we followed this strategy then we would never hire anyone worth **** like we have the last 19 years. You want to hire coordinator’s that bring value and upgrade your team. Which means, you hope to keep them as long as possibly until they build up a high enough demand to be wanted as a HC somewhere else.
"If we followed this strategy then we would never hire anyone worth **** like we have the last 19 years" - huh? lol

There are lifelong assts who have no interest in being HCs. After Steele's test run at Auburn (where he basically gave away HC responsibilities in the one game he had to prove something), Id say hes going to have a tough time finding an AD to work with him.

My point is that Manny needs a guy he can turn the D over to. I'd PREFER someone with experience, who will be around awhile, without letting their own ambitions getting in the way.

Steele is 63 in a couple months, does that concern anyone? Trying to think of any DCs I remember coaching at a high level in their mid 60s. Seems like most coaches start dropping off in their early/mid 60s.

Advertisement
Steele is 63 in a couple months, does that concern anyone? Trying to think of any DCs I remember coaching at a high level in their mid 60s. Seems like most coaches start dropping off in their early/mid 60s.
I'm sure there are others, but Mike Hankwitz of Northwestern is the first name that came to mind. You could include Don Brown as well.

I mean who are we kidding you can't go wrong with either one. These guys can coach D & recruit period. And I think Steele is looking for a HC gig more than the other 2. It'll be a while before Muschamp gets another bite at the apple unless it's G5 imo. But Steele brings basically the same scheme basically but with a more stout run game than what we run

Advertisement
Back